Which scene gives you goosebumps?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Which scene gives you goosebumps?

Post by dva_raza » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:47 pm

For me it's Gohan killing Cell.
And I only felt this after watching the english version. Jesus. I wasn’t familiar with this “Vegeta’s theme” song but it MADE the scene. Fitted so perfectly with every shot, just made everything ..sad and powerful..I didn't feel this in the latin or japanese version, I felt mostly tension, but the song here, with Goku’s “now’s your chance” and Gohan’s scream, my god. I rewatched it so many times. Chills

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Which scene gives you goosebumps?

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:30 am

• Nearly all versions of Bardock vs Freeza.
• Bardock self-explosion to kill Mira.
• Bardock and Gine sending Goku to Earth.

• Nearly everyone when they transform into Super Saiyan for the first time.
• Every time Super Saiyan 2 appears (especially when it is drawn correctly).
• Gogeta vs Janemba.
• Uub vs Goku (Dragon Ball Z).
• Goku's Kamehameha (Movie 4, against Black).
• Nearly every time Gohan becomes Super Saiyan 2.
• Last scenes of Dragon Ball GT.
• Goku meeting Xeno Goku.

Off the top of my head, these ones. There's probably more, though.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:05 pm

There's a scene after the first arc, in DB episode 14, when Goku goes off to Kame House for training. He rides Kinto'un through mountains and then a tunnel, comes out facing a cliff, flies up over it, and then --- here's the goosebumps-inducing part --- there's a stunning shot of the ocean with sunlight reflecting off of it. All this accompanied by an instrumental rendition of Makafushigi Adventure. Gorgeous chills.

Another moment is in episode 8, when we see the Kamehameha for the first time. Yamcha explains what this legendary technique is while a dramatic Kikuchi piece is playing. Up to this point the series has been almost nothing but gags, making this moment feel all the more serious and awe-inspiring. I love it.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:48 pm

Speaking of the Cell arc, you can't get much better than Spirit vs Spirit. It's just such a powerful moment, and the quintessential shounen action scene. With the lyrics and sound it's also suspenseful, ominous and impactful all rolled into one.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:26 pm

When Goku shows up at the last minute to save the day. I'm a sucker for it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:29 am

Gohan SS2 transformation in Bojack Unbound movie, the song that plays during the scene gives it a distinctive feeling that I like.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:39 am

-Bora's death
-Goku's kaioken x3 against Vegeta
-Fat Buu saving Vegeta against Kid Buu
-Genki dama against Buu
-Genki dama against Omega Shenron + entire GT ending
-Goku transforming into Golden Oozaru
-Goku's first SSJ transformation
-Goku's first SSJ4 transformation
-Gohan arriving to fight Super Buu (especially with Faulconer score)
-Goku's final kamehameha against Black in Path to Power
-Goku&Vegeta Xeno reaching SFPS4 Limit Break
dva_raza wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:47 pm For me it's Gohan killing Cell.
And I only felt this after watching the english version.
I agree that english version did it better. Although i still wish anime would've followed manga and make Vegeta the only one to help instead of the only one that did NOT want to help. This scene would have been much more emotional this way. I hate that stupid change.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:11 am

dva_raza wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:47 pm For me it's Gohan killing Cell.
And I only felt this after watching the english version. Jesus. I wasn’t familiar with this “Vegeta’s theme” song but it MADE the scene. Fitted so perfectly with every shot, just made everything ..sad and powerful..I didn't feel this in the latin or japanese version, I felt mostly tension, but the song here, with Goku’s “now’s your chance” and Gohan’s scream, my god. I rewatched it so many times. Chills
I gotta admit I immediately went and checked it out and you are right it is epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CakmhPNwda4
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gridlock

Post by Gridlock » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:48 pm

The Warp Kamehameha. The build up, the shock on Cells face, Goku IT in front of him, the even bigger WTF on Cells face, the way Kamehameha EXPLODES in Cells face... Perfect play on Goku's part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5lwNsKbC4E

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Vegeta's 'last words', Gokus speech and Goku burrying Vegeta thereafter, right before the final battle begins in the Freeza arc.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:16 am

These days? Not too many anymore.

DBS hit me pretty hard with Roshi almost dying from the Kamehameha during TOP. That was pretty epic and actually had me a bit concerned for the old man. Great callback to DB's roots and honestly I've always been a sucker for that character. Art and animation let it down a little though.

Besides that, I still get goosebumps from early Android Saga moments and Cell's introduction. These villain introductions were god tier.

Also from the struggle vs Nappa and Vegeta. Strangely I get more goosebumps from reading the manga of the Saiyan Saga. I get a lot of feels from the characters and every little victory seems monumental when reading it.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:31 am

Tambourine assassinating people, Tenshinhan dying to Nappa, and Cell’s introduction
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:24 am

The finale of the ToP gave me some chills. Loved the Goku/Freeza teamup.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:53 pm

Toppo motivating Jiren and showing why he is the leader of the Pride Troppers.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Gridlock wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:48 pm The Warp Kamehameha. The build up, the shock on Cells face, Goku IT in front of him, the even bigger WTF on Cells face, the way Kamehameha EXPLODES in Cells face... Perfect play on Goku's part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5lwNsKbC4E
Oh this scene is epic! One of the top most badass Goku’s moves ever, so simple but clever. And him taking everyone by surprise, they had all thought he lost his mind lol

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:48 pm Speaking of the Cell arc, you can't get much better than Spirit vs Spirit. It's just such a powerful moment, and the quintessential shounen action scene. With the lyrics and sound it's also suspenseful, ominous and impactful all rolled into one.
Agree. I also loved the way 16s final moment played out as cataclyst for Gohan, a special way to use such a short lived character

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:05 pm when Goku goes off to Kame House for training. He rides Kinto'un through mountains and then a tunnel, comes out facing a cliff, flies up over it, and then --- here's the goosebumps-inducing part --- there's a stunning shot of the ocean with sunlight reflecting off of it. All this accompanied by an instrumental rendition of Makafushigi Adventure. Gorgeous chills.
I get this same feeling with the DBZ intro when Goku is riding the cloud with Gohan.
Whenever Goku is riding Kintoun without any worries there’s always something about the shots of the sky in DB that give me this larger than life feeling.

Speaking of the DBZ intro that has also always been adrenaline inducing to me. I actually think it’s the most exciting and epic intro of any tv show ever. Cha-la Head-Cha-la is for sure my #1 song of the series.
I always tried not to miss it when watching DBZ on tv, and I would feel this excitement everytime.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:58 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:30 am
• Bardock and Gine sending Goku to Earth.

This one too definitely. When Gine tells Goku they’ll come back for him.. as he elevates into the sky, gave me chills.

Which reminds me another scene from this movie I went WOW was Broly going full legendary SS, and I didn’t even watch it in the theatre.
I saw this clip of the crowd reaction and damn! Looks like it was an epic experience to see it like that

https://youtu.be/SCLdaMKmlA8

PS - I absolutely love how Goku keeps his composure in this scene. Just soberly jumps into to his fighting stance in front of this absurdly massive energy expansion LOL, he’s so cool