Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:59 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:29 pm
The Monkey King wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:56 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:09 pm TOEI keeps Goten and Trunks kid-sized because the primary target audience they gear Dragon Ball towards is kids and there needs to be at least one character that main demographic can relate to. This is likely a huge part of the reason Goku was turned back into a kid in GT. I'd hope that this time we will see elder designs for Goten and Trunks because this movie already has a kid character with Pan. I do fear TOEI would still shy away from having Pan be that character as they might prefer to have a male kid character or two, however redundant that idea must be in today's world.
I've always seen this excuse as thinly veiled bullshit to cover up Toriyama not being bothered to draw up redesigns for Goten and Trunks, it's a blatant insult to everyone's intelligence.

it makes no sense whatsoever, throughout all of Super Goten and Trunks don't even appear in most of the episodes and contribute nothing to the plot, how can children relate to characters who don't even appear in the show? Japanese children clearly don't need to "relate" to child characters to watch a show, they watch Dragon Ball for Goku.
I agree, it's a poor excuse. I'd also add it wouldn't even take that much effort to whip up new designs. For Goten all Toriyama would have to do is recycle Teen Gohan's design but slap on Goten's hair (as it more closely resembles Gokus), and for Trunks just use his design from the History of Trunks TV special.
HeroR wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:27 pmGoku was turned into a kid in GT to nerf him and recapture the feel of OG Dragon Ball.
I'm sure both were part of the reason, but Toriyama was also advised by his editors to never age up Goku, although he stood his ground and allowed him to grow up in the manga. GT was a chance for the camp who wanted Goku to be a kid to get that since Toriyama was no longer writing.
This was the stated reason by the director of GT in an interview. Making Goku into kid for the kid audience makes little sense when they had Pan for the role. And Pan was actually added because they wanted to have someone for Goku to save.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:36 am

While we talk about Pan, I really hope they don't make her a bratty insufferable prodigy girl like she was in GT.
This is the biggest reason I hated her existence in GT (apart from her taking Goten's spotlight).

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:30 pm

Saw some comments on likes and number of viewers, well in action and real world, this is not how success and marketing works at all as I already wrote about this in this topic.
Who cares about youtube, it’s only one of the marketing channels and not the end output.

Again, I think this movie’s marketing is allright and we’ll see how the end product goes and maybe, we’ll get some numbers. Everything else right now is just wild guess and speculation.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:49 am

Does the cgi indirectly confirm to us that there will be no Naotoshi Shida ?

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:27 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:30 pm Yeah, I think Toei also underestimate how big of a draw it is to see the lesser seen heroes in action with updated designs. All three previous Toriyama movies heavily promoted the antagonists, but plenty of people do care about Gohan, Piccolo, Pan, etc. Yet over the last decade, Toei have had no faith in putting these guys anywhere near front and centre of a major movie's marketing until now.
Tbh there is a reason for that Piccolo and Gohan while having cool moments in the far past shouldn’t be leading a modern Dragonball movie in any fashion. Especially not a comeback movie after a 4yr hiatus. It isn’t the 90s anymore & especially in this day and age where they are essentially side characters at best & have done nothing of substance in Super to warrant it.

It’s like letting War-Machine & Ant-man headline a Avengers movie where Ironman & Captain America ( I.e Goku & Vegeta) either only make a 10 sec cameo in it or aren’t really in it at all.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:27 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:27 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:30 pm Yeah, I think Toei also underestimate how big of a draw it is to see the lesser seen heroes in action with updated designs. All three previous Toriyama movies heavily promoted the antagonists, but plenty of people do care about Gohan, Piccolo, Pan, etc. Yet over the last decade, Toei have had no faith in putting these guys anywhere near front and centre of a major movie's marketing until now.
Tbh there is a reason for that Piccolo and Gohan while having cool moments in the far past shouldn’t be leading a modern Dragonball movie in any fashion. Especially not a comeback movie after a 4yr hiatus. It isn’t the 90s anymore & especially in this day and age where they are essentially side characters at best & have done nothing of substance in Super to warrant it.
I honestly find this ironic. I’m not talking you specifically, but people in the fandom and in this forum over the years have been complaining about the lack of attention characters outside of Goku and Vegeta get, and when we finally do potentially see this happening in the form of a canon film, there’s comments like this completely against deviating from the status predictable quo.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:03 pm

I think much of it comes down to the writing and execution of story ideas because despite being a fan of Goku and Vegeta as a duo, the majority of the manga post-ToP has been surprisingly boring to me even with those two front and center. They introduce hooks at the beginning of the arcs, but then end up in a flat 90's Toei Movie.

That's why I can't dismiss this movie until I know more about the plot. It's what you do with the characters and the world around them. Having your favorite characters present isn't enough if the story itself isn't engaging, imo. I do think the CGI puts an unnecessary downer on a movie that I think would've benefited from the brief character-acting movements 2D animation can supply, and the voice actors' talents and skills might be able to cover for it in parts, but without that 2D spectacle that Broly had, you need to rely on your storytelling even more.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:09 pm

omaro34 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:27 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:27 pm
I honestly find this ironic. I’m not talking you specifically, but people in the fandom and in this forum over the years have been complaining about the lack of attention characters outside of Goku and Vegeta get, and when we finally do potentially see this happening in the form of a canon film, there’s comments like this completely against deviating from the status predictable quo.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:56 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:19 pm I think this movie is pandering to the section of the fandom that always complain ad nauseum about this series being the “Goku & Vegeta show”

or the classic “Remember when Yamcha/Tien/Gohan/etc” used to be important complaint :lol:

In any case I have a feeling after this disaster of a movie bombs Toei will hit the break in case of emergency glass and bring Cooler or Janemba back to save their reputation :D
japan is happy about this movie majority of them are very happy that its a gohan and piccolo centric movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDgTdh_uM44, as I said this movie's target audience is japan first then the worldwide audience.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:34 pm

Jinto wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:36 am While we talk about Pan, I really hope they don't make her a bratty insufferable prodigy girl like she was in GT.
This is the biggest reason I hated her existence in GT (apart from her taking Goten's spotlight).
She was a kid and it's natural for kids to act like that. If you're a grown up and hate her because of such natural writing, then you're seeing her character the wrong way. GT Pan also was nice for lots of time towards her friends, and not insufferable.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:18 pm

This is probably the most "kanzenshuu" thing I'll ever say.

The Western audience/fandom is really showing its colors with the reaction to this movie so far. I don't consider myself a Dragon Ball elitist by any means; if anything I'm casually interested. When it comes to this movie though I am seeing what I can only describe as Westernized (bastardized) ideals that were wrongly forced on the product being brought back to the surface. What I am seeing so far with this film is a slight experimentation with CG but the rest is 100% Dragon Ball through and through. Like it or not, that's what this series is.

If anything I'm more excited for this film than anything else produced in years. So far this feels more like the series does than Broly in my opinion. I hope others come around and give this a shot, because I feel a good, classic story coming from it already.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:47 am

fleahop wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:18 pm This is probably the most "kanzenshuu" thing I'll ever say.

The Western audience/fandom is really showing its colors with the reaction to this movie so far. I don't consider myself a Dragon Ball elitist by any means; if anything I'm casually interested. When it comes to this movie though I am seeing what I can only describe as Westernized (bastardized) ideals that were wrongly forced on the product being brought back to the surface. What I am seeing so far with this film is a slight experimentation with CG but the rest is 100% Dragon Ball through and through. Like it or not, that's what this series is.

If anything I'm more excited for this film than anything else produced in years. So far this feels more like the series does than Broly in my opinion. I hope others come around and give this a shot, because I feel a good, classic story coming from it already.
Not true at all BROLY was also classic (and the BEST film inmo with battle of gods) DB through and through it captured the whole DB mood of Frieza and cell saga or should i say Z saga's . Broly was massively popular character in japan thats why they made the movie in the first place.That movie felt like a proper DB product in years combined with toriyama's humor, awesome choreographed fight sequences,100% better written broly(thats what a good villain should be).In a world where 3 spider man's facing all villains from the past and people are cheering and shouting do you really think people will come around that easily for a slice of life "bad CGI" DB(a series known for fights)movie ??

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:19 am

fleahop wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:18 pm This is probably the most "kanzenshuu" thing I'll ever say.

I think because Z was most of the western fan base introduction to the series it set a precedence that this is what it’s all about which is why the last movie while having 40 mins of straight action was well received.

Classic? Eh idk about that I can already smell the kidnapping plot of Dead Zone mixed with the plot of the Super Android 13 movie in this film :lol:

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:19 am

fleahop wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:18 pm The Western audience/fandom is really showing its colors with the reaction to this movie so far. I don't consider myself a Dragon Ball elitist by any means; if anything I'm casually interested. When it comes to this movie though I am seeing what I can only describe as Westernized (bastardized) ideals that were wrongly forced on the product being brought back to the surface. What I am seeing so far with this film is a slight experimentation with CG but the rest is 100% Dragon Ball through and through. Like it or not, that's what this series is.
Kanzenshuu (this thread in particular) has been my only source for reactions so I can't say if it's the Western fanbase in general or not (wouldn't be surprising though given everything about the Western Dragon Ball fandom); but from what I've seen here, I do think many of the detractors proclaiming doom and gloom for the film are people who wanted this to be "DBS: Broly 2" and hate that they aren't getting that, so they preemptively write off the film based on the cgi and lack of Broly-esque hype.

On the other hand, the Western Dragon Ball fanbase is a lot like the Metallica fanbase: Large and fractured as all hell with little consensus on anything, resulting in frequent divisiveness. The divided opinions on this film so far may be yet another symptom of that.
Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:47 am Not true at all BROLY was also classic (and the BEST film inmo with battle of gods) DB through and through it captured the whole DB mood of Frieza and cell saga or should i say Z saga's .
This makes sense, though I'd argue it more evokes the Freeza and Buu arcs (Buu with the inclusion of fusion) than anything from the Cell arc. The only elements I can tell that evoke the Cell arc are Vegeta's outfit and the fact that it's effectively a remake of a film that debuted during the Cell arc.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:07 pm

I am excited for the movie to get released, I am watching the movie 100%. How will I watch remain to be seen, if it comes on cinema then I will watch it there, if not I have to wait until it is released on Blu-Ray or streaming.

I enjoy Dragon Ball and its movies, Dragon Ball Z and its movies, Dragon Ball GT and its movie, Dragon Ball Super movies and Dragon Ball Super manga.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:31 pm

I can’t say I’m particularly excited for this movie, but I’m willing to give it a chance. This is apparently a story that Toriyama actually wanted to tell, as opposed to the last movie, which was suggested to him, so we’ll see how that works out. There’s just not anything that immediately grabs me, and I’m not sure why we’re doing the Red Ribbon Army again.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:24 pm

If the wrestling announcer from the Broly movie makes a comeback, then this movie is already one of the best Dragon Ball movies ever.
Last edited by Jiren The Alpha on Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:42 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:24 pm If the wrestling announcer from the Broly movie makes a comback, then this movie is already one of the best Dragon Ball movies ever.
I only found out recently that the hype man announcer from the Broly movie was Hiroaki Tominaga, the same person who sang the first Jojo's Bizarre Adventure opening.

I would love to hear more OOOEEEOOOs and character name chanting in this film, but I doubt it will happen since Sumitomo isn't composing this time around and they're approaching this movie completely differently compared to the last film.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:06 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:42 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:24 pm If the wrestling announcer from the Broly movie makes a comback, then this movie is already one of the best Dragon Ball movies ever.
I only found out recently that the hype man announcer from the Broly movie was Hiroaki Tominaga, the same person who sang the first Jojo's Bizarre Adventure opening.

I would love to hear more OOOEEEOOOs and character name chanting in this film, but I doubt it will happen since Sumitomo isn't composing this time around and they're approaching this movie completely differently compared to the last film.
Yeah the chants did grow on me after a while it’s be cool to have them back. I wonder if Sumitomo got fired cause of that & that’s why he’s not on this movie.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:18 am

Dragon Ball Super Super Hero promo material

https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... 46/photo/1

Gohan: has latent power even more than his father, Goku?

:thumbup: