Dragon Ball Rewatch, Bonus Thread - 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour OVA

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Bonus Thread - 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour OVA

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 am

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to the 2021 Christmas bonus of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.
We're doing five episodes a week, and we'll be watching every single episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. All 508 episodes. Plus the TV specials and the movies, but today we're taking a brief, spontaneous sidestep into one of the OVAs.
You have no option but to watch in Japanese with subtitles, and that's if this special is even available to you.

Well, the rewatch proper is taking a break for two weeks, but KBABZ watched the 2008 Jump special, and was thus able to write trivia concerning this special. I didn't have time to look over it, so all the names and everything are exactly as KBABZ wrote them.
Merry Christmas everybody! See you all in the new year. :)

Current thread: Week 103 (GT 6-10)

Anyway, without further ado...

2008 Jump Super Anime Tour special - Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!!
Originally released 21st of September 2008
Written by: Akira Toriyama & Takao Koyama
Episode director: Yoshihiro Ueda
Animation supervisor: Tadayoshi Yamamuro

Two years after the defeat of Majin Boo, a new battle takes place on Earth. Vegeta’s younger brother, Tarble, arrives to ask for help in defeating Avo & Cado, two of Freeza’s former henchmen that have been terrorizing his planet. Do the heroes of Earth stand a chance against such mighty foes?!

Trivia:
____

Trivia written by KBABZ. Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Bonus Thread - 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour OVA

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:28 am

I remember this special being quite fun, sort of like a proto-Battle of Gods. It's aged quite well, largely thanks to the Kikuchi score and a more modern animation style that was closer to the cel look of the original series than all the revival material that followed.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:46 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:28 am I remember this special being quite fun, sort of like a proto-Battle of Gods. It's aged quite well, largely thanks to the Kikuchi score and a more modern animation style that was closer to the cel look of the original series than all the revival material that followed.
Yeah, it looks and sounds really great. If the Super era had been more like this, aesthetically, then I'd be at least a bit softer on it.

Honestly, while I haven't seen this or BOG in a while, I remember thinking this special was the more enjoyable of the two.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:51 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amWhile this special bears the title card "Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!!", it is often referred as the JSAT Special or "Jump Special", due to the event it premiered in. Kanzenshuu officially refers to it by its title card name, since six other anime also had their own specials and thus also have their own "Jump Specials".
"Tarble OVA" is a lot easier, for some reason.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amSince it's also the first digitally-animated episode of Dragon Ball, many fans (and by many we mean KBABZ) consider the Jump Special to be the start of the "Modern Era" of Dragon Ball that encompasses the modern movies, the Dragon Ball Super revival series, and Super Dragon Ball Heroes.
I think I'm missing something, you mean only KBABZ considers that?
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amBoth also take place in the 10 year timeskip between Boo and End of Z, which is where Toriyama said he'd probably write new Dragon Ball stories to avoid overlapping GT.
Eh, while we may never know the true reason, I don't think it has anything to do with Dragon Ball GT. The impression I got from the interview is that Toriyama avoids stories after the manga because the characters are getting old. Well, that's what Nakatsuru brings up and Toriyama agrees with, anyway.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amThe Jump Special takes place in Age 776, two years after the Majin Boo Arc and two years before Battle of Gods.
In fact, starting from this OVA forward, it's correct to refer to Gohan as "adult Gohan", as he is nineteen years old (unless your culture treats someone at this age as a teenager). As opposed to people wrongly referring to a sixteen-year-old (almost seventeen) teenager as an adult (and I don't think I've ever heard of a culture that does such a thing).
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amTarble is referenced in the opening of Dragon Ball Super: Broly. After Planet Vegeta is destroyed, Raditz mentions that Vegeta has a younger brother, whom Vegeta immediately dismisses as not worth caring about.
In the subject of reference, we should also note that Tarble is mentioned in Movie 14 in a dialogue between Bulma and Vegeta.

Outside of movies, Tarble is referenced by name in this Dragon Ball website. His name also appears in this family tree material for Movie 1.

A lot of references, but nowhere to be seen.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amKuririn's effort in pulling out such a small radish heavily implies that he hasn't trained in a very long time (12 years to be precise, after the Cell Arc).
"After" or "start" of the Cell saga? Because AGE 776 - 12 = AGE 764.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amTarble also seemingly credits Vegeta for killing Frieza, when it was in fact Goku who defeated him and Future Trunks who finally killed him.
Makes sense. Tarble got information from Namekuseijins and most likely asked specifically about Vegeta, they probably assume Vegeta "and his friends" killed Freeza.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amThe idea of remnants of Frieza's men would be revisited in Resurrection of F, where the last holdouts use the Earth Dragon Balls to revive their former Emperor.
By the second time out-universe (or first time, in-universe). Dragon Ball Online did it first.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amGotenks use Tenshinhan's Volleyball Play, but the steps they perform are actually from their own volleyball move from the Boo Arc (but without Piccolo's help, of course).
The Dynamite Rolling Thunder Punch is one of Mr. Satan's moves, and is in fact the only time someone other than Mr. Satan has performed it.
That the Wolf Fang Fist is performed alongside Mr. Satan's Thunder Punch as one of Gotenks' goofy attacks doesn't bode well for the move's reputation!
One of the alternate slots for Gotenks in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 has all those techniques. Implying it's a Gotenks from/inspired by this OVA.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amThose critical of Dragon Ball Super would likely laugh their heads off today when Kuririn notes how Goten has grown since he last saw him two years prior at the end of the Boo Arc.
:lolno:
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amA proper home release of the original HD version wouldn't come until 2013, where it was included in the Special Edition release of Battle of Gods.
That was on DVD, so it's an SD release.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:35 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:38 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 amA proper home release of the original HD version wouldn't come until 2013, where it was included in the Special Edition release of Battle of Gods.
That was on DVD, so it's an SD release.
So the version I watched was an upscale?? DANGIT!!

Asmo

Post by Asmo » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:47 pm

It did get a home release in Malaysia not long after the special premiered (iirc). The artwork has the 'official product' stamp on it that releases in Malaysia need to have, but as to its true authenticity I cannot say.