Walmart Exclusive Dragon Ball Z Bluray sets *Confirmed to be the 2013 cropped discs*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Re: Walmart Exclusive Dragon Ball Z Bluray sets *Confirmed to be the 2013 cropped discs*

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:53 am

I don't get it, why is FUNimation re-releasing DBZ in widescreen when they've literally re-released it a year ago in 4:3 smh.

I'm so glad that I grabbed the steelbooks as they were being released last year. Those sets are pretty much the best way to watch the show at this point.

Hopefully they don't go out of print.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Walmart Exclusive Dragon Ball Z Bluray sets *Confirmed to be the 2013 cropped discs*

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:25 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:53 am I don't get it, why is FUNimation re-releasing DBZ in widescreen when they've literally re-released it a year ago in 4:3 smh.

I'm so glad that I grabbed the steelbooks as they were being released last year. Those sets are pretty much the best way to watch the show at this point.

Well seen as how this is a retailer repackage Walmart is probably using leftover discs Funimation already pressed. As far as I know Funimation don't author new BDs for retailer exclusives, so this will likely just be the 2013/14 seasons rather than discs with the 30th remaster in 16:9.

Steelbooks are always limited, so these probably will go out of print, but I imagine Funimation will re-release them in standard amarays because they take any excuse they can to milk the series. If not, the Manga UK Blu-Rays will probably be in print for a long time, and go on future Zavvi sales.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:39 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:53 am I don't get it, why is FUNimation re-releasing DBZ in widescreen when they've literally re-released it a year ago in 4:3 smh.
Cost. $45 a season is for 9 seasons is kind of pricey so Funimation/Wal-mart are giving consumers a dated less desirable way to the own the series at a 1/3rd of the price.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:56 pm

Season 1 already did. The rest will soon follow.

I just hope Funi releases them on normal cases soon.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:28 am

ZombieVito wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:56 pm

Damn really 😑😑😑. At the time there were announced I had a feeling that they might be a limited release that's why I sold my 2013 Blu ray sets and pre ordered every single one of those steelbooks. At this FUNimation keeps proving that they don't really respect DBZ like they do with the other anime shows that they license and dub.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:59 am

ZombieVito wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:56 pm

Just season 1? Cool, because I only really cared about 4:3 for Faulconer anyway.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler