A very important 15-year anniversary just passed (and your opinion on it)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A very important 15-year anniversary just passed (and your opinion on it)

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:46 pm

TVfan721 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:34 pm [
Also, I was honestly satisfied with the redub of Season 1 and 2.
I will clarify I was fine with the redub of season 1 and 2 too. The Funimation cast had enough experience by this point they all did a perfectly passable job. Funimation also made a genuine effort to cut back on a lot of the cringy one liner punch up dialog they originally wrote for the edited dub.And even fixed some of their worst errors. Had the entire in-house dub been done like that it would have been a perfectly adequate, if heavily flawed, dub.
I was also mostly satisfied with the partial redub of Season 3 which got rid of the worst aspects for me.
I’ll just say I’m glad they even bothered. I know a lot of fans claimed they never should have but it would have been way worse if they hadn’t. My main issue is they didn’t go far enough with the partial redub. Sabat badly needed to redub Piccolo who sounded like a moron until like GT. Sean Schemmel needed to redub Nail and Goku up until at least the point he turned Super Saiyan. Nadolny needed to redub Gohan up until the end of the Cell Games. The partial redub was an improvement that just didn’t go far enough.

I already know you don't agree and you and I have had some indepth discussions on this topic over the last 5 years that you've been here. That's totally cool 👍I respect your POV.
👍

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:11 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:46 pm
I will clarify I was fine with the redub of season 1 and 2 too. The Funimation cast had enough experience by this point they all did a perfectly passable job. Funimation also made a genuine effort to cut back on a lot of the cringy one liner punch up dialog they originally wrote for the edited dub.And even fixed some of their worst errors. Had the entire in-house dub been done like that it would have been a perfectly adequate, if heavily flawed, dub.
I was also mostly satisfied with the partial redub of Season 3 which got rid of the worst aspects for me.
I’ll just say I’m glad they even bothered. I know a lot of fans claimed they never should have but it would have been way worse if they hadn’t. My main issue is they didn’t go far enough with the partial redub. Sabat badly needed to redub Piccolo who sounded like a moron until like GT. Sean Schemmel needed to redub Nail and Goku up until at least the point he turned Super Saiyan. Nadolny needed to redub Gohan up until the end of the Cell Games. The partial redub was an improvement that just didn’t go far enough.

I already know you don't agree and you and I have had some indepth discussions on this topic over the last 5 years that you've been here. That's totally cool 👍I respect your POV.
👍
I'd have liked it if Schemmel had bothered redubbing his early stuff as Goku, at least for ep 68+ until he improved because hearing his horrendous 1999 take next to Sabat's 2007 Vegeta sounds so jarring and awkward.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:02 pm

I've always been mixed on the partial redub. It's better in some ways but it's also less consistent in others. The old dub gradually evolved over time, while the redub went back and forth with the likes of Sabat's Vegeta.

I always thought they should've had the redub be exclusive to the Dub+Kikuchi option, and left the old dub intact when you switch to Faulconer. It would make sense given that it lists the Faulconer option as "US Broadcast".

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:05 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:02 pm I've always been mixed on the partial redub. It's better in some ways but it's also less consistent in others. The old dub gradually evolved over time, while the redub went back and forth with the likes of Sabat's Vegeta.

I always thought they should've had the redub be exclusive to the Dub+Kikuchi option, and left the old dub intact when you switch to Faulconer. It would make sense given that it lists the Faulconer option as "US Broadcast".
Agreed, they could've very easily included the '99-'03 version on the Faulconer score track and the redubbed version with the Kikuchi score instead of the redub being both.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:44 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:02 pm I've always been mixed on the partial redub. It's better in some ways but it's also less consistent in others. The old dub gradually evolved over time, while the redub went back and forth with the likes of Sabat's Vegeta.
Tbh there’s no consistency to be had. It goes back to the whole “Its nice the Texas cast improved over time but they never should have fired the entire Vancouver cast” Going from “Goku….Super Saiyan?” to the original Ginyu Assault is jarring and so would be going from “A Legend Revealed” to the original Ginyu Assault. I think the redub was a necessary evil that Funimation just didn’t want to commit to. A lot of lack of foresight on Funimation’s part.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:29 pm

For better and worse the Orange Bricks were good for the fan base. They provided a cheap and easy way to watch the series, exposed many more fans to the Japanese score, taught may fans why we don't crop 4.3 material. They were also a major controversial topic to keep us engaged online and on this site. I bought them all and knew it could be better and atleast after season 3 they were a bit better. Overall not a very good release but most importantly they sold very very well and apparently still do because they are still reprinting them.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:35 am

Back in 07 I lost interest in the DB series after being a big fan of it for about 7 years. I think it was a blessing because I certainly would have bought these sets back then lol. It wasn't until 2010-2011 when I became a fan of the series again but unfortunately I missed out on the Dragon Boxes

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:37 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:11 pm

👍
I'd have liked it if Schemmel had bothered redubbing his early stuff as Goku, at least for ep 68+ until he improved because hearing his horrendous 1999 take next to Sabat's 2007 Vegeta sounds so jarring and awkward.
Agreed. The half assed redub on both season 2 and 3 sounds horrible especially Goku.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:18 pm

I was beyond excited when the Orange Bricks were announced. I vividly remember using the computer in the family room (back when people only had one computer per household, IF that) and watching that trailer: "Digitally Remastered in High Definition! The way it was MEANT to be seen!" :lol:

I wasn't old enough to work yet, had no money, blah blah blah, however, my Mom had a subscription to Netflix, which at the time was still just mailing DVDs to your house. To my surprise, they actually had Season 1 of DBZ on there, and my Mom let me add 1 disc every time we rented movies. So I got one disc every couple of weeks or so. These were my first impressions of the Orange Bricks back in 2007:

1. It was absolutely wonderful to have 7 episodes per disc, as opposed to 3 or 4
2. The uncut footage of the Special Beam Cannon blew my 13 year old mind
3. I did notice the cropping early on, but was still oblivious to the over-saturated picture at that point

and that's really it! I had a blast re-watching the series this way, and actually got Season 3 for Christmas in 2008 maybe? It probably took me about 3 or 4 years to find the means to watch them all, and despite the terrible quality of the OBs, I remember them fondly for what they did for me at the time.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:37 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:11 pm

👍
Agreed. The half assed redub on both season 2 and 3 sounds horrible especially Goku.
Oh undeniably, it's such a crazy difference when two separate voice takes from nearly a decade apart clash against each other like that. His early Goku at least went with the awful Brian Drummond impression Sabat did at the time back in 1999 but the redub of the latter sounds completely incompatible alongside it. Thank god Kai came along two or three years later and Schemmel was able to do that material over again and this time with MUCH better acting chops. There's no doubt that the Orange Brick redub didn't go far enough to improve that part of the in house dub the way it should've, and therefore the few good things are outweighed by the scripts more or less remaining exactly the same (horrible jokes and all) and a lot of the characters still sounding as awful as they did in '99 when FUNi first started dubbing and scripting said material.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:46 am

It was a learning period for all in the TV industry. Hiroshima and Nagasaki had passed and so the cold war so everyone was hesitating on wether or not to bring in a foreign show and if so, how to show it to the american kinds? Censorship has been the thoughest in USA as well. Dragon Ball is beyond controversial for the western world view....

....So I never felt any grudge or anything, I think they did what they could but you guys definetly deserve your english spoken ver of DB with original japase scores.