Has Toriyama lost his touch?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Has Toriyama lost his touch?

Post by Jord » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:44 am

After the mess that is DragonBall Super you have to wonder if and when Toriyama lost his touch. Flanderization of characters, no sense of stakes or progression and weak cop-out endings (Resurrection F) are just a handful of the problems the current product has. I get why TOEI want his name involved with projects, since it makes it more "authentic" but it seems that it isn't synonymous with quality.
When did he lose his touch? Looking back, the Son Goku returns special was entertaining and felt like DragonBall but Battle of Gods was when quality started to dip. While still an entertaining movie, it felt like a step back.
Resurrection F was....well....a mess and from then on we saw sporadic highlights, mostly infused with nostalgia.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Has Toriyama lost his touch?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:50 am

God, I hope not. Losing your ability to feel things would suck!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:51 am

I mean, Toriyama has gotten worse, but all of your reasons are lame and boring.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:59 am

Shaddy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:51 am I mean, Toriyama has gotten worse, but all of your reasons are lame and boring.
Was Toriyama ever actually good? Does one or two cool ideas mean good?

Actually, we do know that his art has gotten worse. He's outright said that he can't draw dynamic panels anymore.

Thread over everyone!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:18 am

No.

In fact, in many ways, Super is better and more original than DBZ.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:21 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:18 am No.

I think the OP is being overdramatic and obviously better or worse is subjective but name one thing about Super that is more original than DBZ.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:23 am

Toriyama does bring quality, BOG, ROF and DBS:Broly are the higgest grossing Dragon Ball films and Super was a success (even tho some people say otherwise but hey, they have the right to dream).

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:33 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:21 am

I think the OP is being overdramatic and obviously better or worse is subjective but name one thing about Super that is more original than DBZ.
Piccolo playing a major role in the new movie and

Meanwhile DBZ in the Buu arc treated Piccolo like a babysitter and battle spectator.

This is simply the most recent thing that Super did better than DBZ, the treatment of Piccolo...

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:34 am

RoF sucked, sure. But the manga and Broly have been pretty good, and this new movie is yet to be seen, so if he lost it around 2014-15, he found it again by 2017.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:42 am

I don't think it's fair to cite DBS for his shortcomings since he only partially involved with the story, not even in a "the buck stops with him" way.

I don't think his current artstyle looks bad at all tbh.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:51 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:33 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:21 am

Piccolo playing a major role in the new movie and

Meanwhile DBZ in the Buu arc treated Piccolo like a babysitter and battle spectator.

This is simply the most recent thing that Super did better than DBZ, the treatment of Piccolo...
That has nothing to do with originality.

And Piccolo had a more prominent role in the Saiyan-Cell arcs than all of Super.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:58 am

Jord wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:44 amAfter the mess that is DragonBall Super you have to wonder if and when Toriyama lost his touch. (...) When did he lose his touch?
Between 2013 and 2014. Notice that everything went downhill after the release of Movie 14 and the closure of Dragon Ball Online. There should be a villain called "2013/2014" for the characters to deal with (and use the Dragon Balls to resurrect the fallen one!).
Jord wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:44 am I get why TOEI want his name involved with projects, since it makes it more "authentic" but it seems that it isn't synonymous with quality.
People do overestimate the involvement of the original author for some reason. Yet, we continue to get more and more examples of that being indeed not the case. See the latest Terminator movie.

"Authenticity" means little in the grand scheme of things, so I don't know the point of always screaming "hey the original author is here!". If it's doomed to fail, it will fail regardless (in terms of quality, obviously).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:05 pm

DBZ was starting to decline after the Freeza arc (oldhead opinion, I know) and it became obvious by the Majin Boo arc. Toriyama lost interest in the franchise a long time but only starting writing stuff for it again because Evolution pissed him off that much.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:08 pm

Currently, he seems to be most focused on the DBS films, and those have been great. I even enjoyed ROF, at least, parts of it. So I'd say he still has his touch. Yes, the DBS anime is gigantic mess where the filler episodes are somehow the highlight, but lets not blame him for that.

Also, it's not exactly new at this point, but the Jaco manga was fantastic.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:32 pm

It's a fair point to say that... well, the entity "Dragon Ball Super" isn't an exclusive Toriyama work. Some of it starts with him, some of it doesn't, and none of it ends with him.

If you want to talk about Toriyama's "touch" and if he still has it, then you really have to start and end with Jaco. That's the sole piece of post-serialization DB media that Toriyama wrote and drew himself.

He wrote movie scripts and did character designs, so Resurrection 'F' and Broly are the next two pieces you'd be able to a little more comprehensively assign as CLOSE to being exclusively Toriyama works... but even then, it's really not. He literally wrote "and then a big fight happens" in his script for Resurrection 'F', leaving it to the Toei staff to work out. You can't pin the choreography on him, for example, in there.

So I think it's kind of a non-starter conversation, because Toriyama's involvement isn't even remotely close to the same today as it was during his actual writing and drawing of the original series. It's a separate conversation to have, but it's not the one you're saying it is.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:32 pm It's a fair point to say that... well, the entity "Dragon Ball Super" isn't an exclusive Toriyama work. Some of it starts with him, some of it doesn't, and none of it ends with him.

If you want to talk about Toriyama's "touch" and if he still has it, then you really have to start and end with Jaco. That's the sole piece of post-serialization DB media that Toriyama wrote and drew himself.

He wrote movie scripts and did character designs, so Resurrection 'F' and Broly are the next two pieces you'd be able to a little more comprehensively assign as CLOSE to being exclusively Toriyama works... but even then, it's really not. He literally wrote "and then a big fight happens" in his script for Resurrection 'F', leaving it to the Toei staff to work out. You can't pin the choreography on him, for example, in there.

So I think it's kind of a non-starter conversation, because Toriyama's involvement isn't even remotely close to the same today as it was during his actual writing and drawing of the original series. It's a separate conversation to have, but it's not the one you're saying it is.
If you want to be pithy about, perhaps you can say it's not an issue of Toriyama losing his touch, but that he's touching something else :lol:

Thinking about Jaco just has me wanting more Toriyama manga one-shots or short series, DB-related or not. I do have a copy of Manga Theater sitting unread on the shelf, so at least I can scratch that itch in some way.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:32 pm It's a fair point to say that... well, the entity "Dragon Ball Super" isn't an exclusive Toriyama work. Some of it starts with him, some of it doesn't, and none of it ends with him.

Why not include BOG in this list? I was under the impression he rewrote most if not all of that film too.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:07 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:59 pm Why not include BOG in this list? I was under the impression he rewrote most if not all of that film too.
Sure, he did, but it wasn't built on original concepts from him (I guess you could say the same about Broly), and he wasn't involved from the start. I'm really just being pedantic and overly segmented here, but sure, you're right.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:11 pm

Some fans would say he lost his touch by the Cell and Buu sagas since he admit to getting burned out. Anything coming after that could be good and unlikely to be a major improvement. IMO the same could be said of any artist. I don't think there has been an artist, writer, musician, etc who returned to their work decades later and created something better than when they were in their prime. Maybe there are some exceptions but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:20 pm

Whenever stuff is left for other's ideas and interpretations, things fluctuate between ok and "iffy"; when Toriyama goes and does things himself (draw, design and write), the series shine. In my opinion.