Is hunger still a weakness for Goku?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Is hunger still a weakness for Goku?

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:35 pm

Very early in the series it was established that Goku loses his strength when he is hungry. Of course this is just a gag, but the loss of strength seemed to be more significant for Goku than an ordinary person. Like simply skipping breakfast costed him half of his strength and allowed Yamcha to beat him up, which wouldn't happen for a regular human.

As an adult, did Goku grow out of this, or does he still require lots of food in order to reach his true power? If an enemy wanted to defeat Goku today, should they first engineer a situation where he doesn't get to eat for the whole day? Do you think this would weaken him in any way, or is it a waste of time?

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: Is hunger still a weakness for Goku?

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:16 pm

You commonly see Saiyans with a big appetite when it comes to food, so I would say fasting would make them weaker, depending on the situation, as they burn a lot of calories in a fight. Eating too much and bad digestion also got on Goku's way when he was fighting Botamo, from Universe 6. So yeah, I think they are affected significantly by their diet.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:23 pm

I think it would still make him weaker as it does with humans even, but he has become a lot more efficient in hiding his weaknesses so it's not very noticeable, if at all.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:29 pm

In the Super manga, Goku stopped eating entirely whilst training with Merus, so I think it's fair to say it doesn't really matter at this point at least in that continuity.