Do you like Uub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Do you like Uub?

Post by Kappa » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:46 pm

I think he's pretty cool in GT. He has a cool personality, cool attacks, and a nice design (Especially as Majuub).

Hopefully Super treats him better though cuz he didn't really accomplish much in GT.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do you like Uub?

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:49 pm

I don't dislike him. He really only shows up in GT and I don't rewatch that as much as I do everything else.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:47 pm

Majuub is alright but I'm indifferent to Kid Uub. He's kinda there and here, his biggest contribution is definitely in the Moro arc.
But they'll have to do a lot to develop his character, make him somehow unique and stand out.

I hope they don't make him a Goku-lite with a similar moveset.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:57 pm

Kappa wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:46 pm
Hopefully Super treats him better though
I had to double and triple check this post wasn't from 2015.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:24 am

I honestly don't get why people mark out when Super references him. He's at the very end of DBZ, and in DBGT he's fodder like every other non-Goku character. He's a minor side character with no outstanding traits or feats.

If Super does something good with him in the future, then cool. But at this point I can't say I care about him.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:55 am

Kappa wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:46 pm I think he's pretty cool in GT. He has a cool personality, cool attacks, and a nice design (Especially as Majuub).

Hopefully Super treats him better though cuz he didn't really accomplish much in GT.
You summed it up pretty good. Majuub looks awesome and his fusion with Buu was a great moment in GT but unfortunately, he should have done more in GT. (Even though getting eaten by Baby was a tactic)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:08 pm

I don't care about him at all.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:04 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:08 pm I don't care about him at all.
LOL I share this sentiment.

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:51 pm

I would prefer for him to be Upa's son, as another way to connect him to Goku, but I like him as a concept.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:07 pm

I like him, although he did feel very similar to Gohan when he was first introduced.

I think I like him best in GT, because he at least comes into his own a bit there. He's no longer a passive kid being strung along by Goku, but a hardened warrior in his own right. His entrance and subsequent fight with Baby was awesome, as was his merger with Buu. I always thought it was badass how he was able to avoid being controlled by Baby when everyone else on earth was enslaved.

Shame he wasn't utilized more post-Baby.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:12 pm

Uub is pretty interesting and I liked what he did in GT's baby saga, but I wish we saw more of him...
Luckily, it seems Toyotarou is trying to do that.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:31 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:07 pm Shame he wasn't utilized more post-Baby.
I think that if GT had actually continued on post-Baby, meaning genuinely and not just for purposes of wrapping up the series, then we probably would have seen more of Oob. His power and skill set, relationship with Pan, and overall character would have likely been developed further.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:33 am

The kid who's in like two chapters of the manga? Not really much material to judge him on.

In GT, he had a somewhat more substantial role, but primarily he was only briefly in the Baby arc, and then the tournament filler episode. So, still a little hard to judge.

I guess every time he's shown up, he's been pretty cool, but there's never really been much character to dig into with him.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:22 am

I like the concept behind Oob. Basically, a human warrior reaches Goku levels of power through a combination of reincarnation magic and a gifted learning ability. It's a fresh creative approach to DB warrior design rather than simply falling back on having new Saiyans and aliens popping up in contrived ways. The story leaves it open to what path he can go down and because he has none of the knowledge the other legacy characters do it gives the potential for old things to be interesting again or viewed from a new perspective.

The problems with the character were introduced by whoever wrote him after his introduction. It was more or less a paint by numbers approach to a secondary DB character with little to no personality or motivation beyond admiring Goku and wanting to stop the new big bad. The fusion with Boo was a cool idea but was squandered early and ended up meaning nothing because they had no prior relationship and no real build-up to it, it didn't even end up mattering in the grand scheme of things as it was overshadowed by SS4. They barely gave the audience any reason to care about Oob at all in GT which is the fault of the storytellers.

I still think it's a good starting point to a character but the writers just dropped the ball with him and I have no faith in whatever Super does with him at this point either, it will most likely amount to little more than fan service.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:45 pm

Yes. I hate his English voice actor though.

I hope Dragon Ball Super's Uub is much different than GT Uub.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:33 pm

Peach wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:45 pm Yes. I hate his English voice actor though.
The Funimation one?

Sounds like someone hasn't tried the Blue Water dub of GT. ;)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:33 pm
Peach wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:45 pm Yes. I hate his English voice actor though.
The Funimation one?

Sounds like someone hasn't tried the Blue Water dub of GT. ;)
Yes.

I hate that is sounds like the Baby from Yu Yu Hakusho. That weird valley boy accent slipping in.

I would like someone who actually sounds like a young guy and sounds brash & less mild mannered - to highlight how similar he is to kid Goku. A minority actor would be preferred too. I don't know why they get white males to voice Uub.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:41 pm

As has been stated already, great idea on paper, leaves a lot to be desired in execution.

The biggest issue with Oob is that while so many fans hate the ending of the manga and Z in the anime, GT had a chance to justify it but it didn't.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:18 pm

No
I like the concept behind Oob. Basically, a human warrior reaches Goku levels of power through a combination of reincarnation magic and a gifted learning ability. It's a fresh creative approach to DB warrior design rather than simply falling back on having new Saiyans and aliens popping up in contrived ways.
Agreen, I guess they wanted to try but DBGT was simply not getting to the ratings they wanted as for them to continue it.

I think there is nothing special about him. I dislike the fact that Goku left to train him and he was not good enough as to tell him "Hey mr goku what if we go fight your grandaughter and the other boys? the more fighters, the more fun, also shouldn't we visit them at least like once a year, Sir?" I mean they both can fly...