Helping Out An Import CD Newb

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Helping Out An Import CD Newb

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:23 pm

While I'm a fan of the Japanese version's music and am particularly interested in picking up Kageyama's latest release with the English versions of the Sparking! Meteor and Burst Limit themes, I've yet to actually get my hands on a legit CD. So, before actually making a purchase, I figured I should consult the forum here to ask how one would get started.

Checking online retailers cdjapan and play-asia, I noticed significantly big differences in the prices for the same CD. Is this because play-asia already incorporates the shipping? Which retailer (if either) is the more reliable of the two? I remember in a recent podcast, Mike talked about getting multiple purchases to justify paying for the ridiculous shipping prices. I'm guessing this is something one should always do when importing something that's somewhat cheap? If it is, what would you consider picking up as the item that justifies the shipping?

Any help would be much appreciated.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:23 am

I've only ordered from CDJapan once and I got hit with import tax. I buy most of my JP stuff from yesasia.com. They have free international shipping and I've not had to pay any import tax on any shipments.

Also, 'Legend Of Dragon World' is a good first purchase. It has all of the DBZ openings, closings, movie themes and some of the more popular image songs.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks for the info. I completely forgot about yesasia.com.
Kula wrote:I buy most of my JP stuff from yesasia.com. They have free international shipping and I've not had to pay any import tax on any shipments.
There's still some kind of tax, though, right? I find it hard to believe that you'd only have to pay for the item's price alone.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:15 pm

I order very regularly at YesAsia and you don't have to pay import tax (in the EU at least). They ship all their European orders bulk to Germany first (so it's in the EU) and send the orders from there to other European countries. As it's already inside the EU, I don't have to pay customs when it arrives in the Netherlands :3
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen