Has your opinion about Ultra Ego changed since its introduction?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Re: Has your opinion about Ultra Ego changed since its introduction?

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:41 pm

I have a hard time maintaining any halfway strong opinion on the Ultra Ego form... at this point it's just another uninspired, mostly-unoriginal color-swap form on the big pile. I think I burned out my give-a-damn machine with Ultra Instinct.

I'd probably like both "Ultra" forms a lot more if Super Saiyan God was the primary new form for Super and the sole direct predecessor to these, without Blue and Rosé causing an overload by existing in-between.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:32 am

I still like it. I think the premise behind Vegeta obtaining the ability is bad but the look and the ability itself is great.

I don't get the weird shit-fits other, 'pick-me' fans throw over the simplistic looks of the new transformations. Color and color language are cool and easy to understand. Visual mediums with an emphasis on action should be simple and easy on the eye. Changing color and a few small details is optimal.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:15 pm

dva_raza wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:11 pm
Aim wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:15 am think at this point Toriyama doing the story would be so much better.
I had actually thought Ultra ego was inspired from way back when Toriyama gave Vegeta this weird looking stance out of the blue.

<Images snipped>

Which I remember thinking how ugly and not prince-like it was, just like ultra ego now.
Toriyama didn’t give him that pose though.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:23 pm

I don’t know if my opinion has really changed that much, but the form is ok, I guess. The concept of Vegeta receiving his own unique form that reflects his own philosophy isn’t a terrible idea, but the design isn’t particularly inspired, and I’m fairly tired of all the new forms at this point. I don’t hate it, but I don’t think it was all that necessary.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:33 pm

Aim wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:15 pm Toriyama didn’t give him that pose though.
Oh.. I thought he had been the one who defined character aspects like these for the anime

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:06 am

UE is fine for what it is, which is basically to give Vegeta something on par with UI Goku that sufficiently differentiates him from that path into more of a Saiyan-like one (that isn't SSBE or Spirit Fission), give him something to work for in terms of power/control and character progression in the current arc, & by extension give another in-universe explanation as to how Beerus/the Destroyers & their power keep functioning as moving goalposts for the Saiyans.

From how Toyotaro designed the form with Beerus, UI & the manga medium in mind (seeing as it's not wholly reliant on colour) to it being a somewhat different change from Toriyama's current minimalistic form design philosophy, I don't mind the name & how it looks either (the lack of eyebrows/caveman brow is silly though). Purple hair & pink eyes probably wouldn't have been my first colour choices off the bat, but I've grown used to liking it over the other common prospective palettes (black hair with yellow eyes, purple hair with yellow eyes, black hair with pink eyes)

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:21 am

Kaboom wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:41 pm
I'd probably like both "Ultra" forms a lot more if Super Saiyan God was the primary new form for Super and the sole direct predecessor to these, without Blue and Rosé causing an overload by existing in-between.

I largely agree with this, though I wouldn't say rose in and of itself burned me out but I do think we got Blue waay to quickly, all that build up in BOG just for it to be treated like an after thought in every story moving forward. Say what you will about Toriyama's writing tropes but at least regular Super Saiyan was still treated like "the standard" throughout the original series even after the debut of follow-up transformations.
dva_raza wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:33 pm
Aim wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:15 pm Toriyama didn’t give him that pose though.
Oh.. I thought he had been the one who defined character aspects like these for the anime
Funny enough I took at as the writers trying to convey the idea of Vegeta making an effort to be more relaxed in his fights after Whis told him he's normally too tense. Which in hindsight is more of a precursor to Ultra Instinct instead of Ultra Ego.

Speaking of which I think its too early to have a second opinion on it, we only saw it once almost a year ago and it didnt really accomplish anything, I dont hate it but it hasn't had a chance to be explored enough yet.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:44 pm

I don't read the DBS manga but I as a fan of vegeta I am entitled to have my opinion which is: they just want to sell new actions figures and funkos because they all have the vegeta wit blue thair now

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:10 am

Farrrrr toooo many transformations.

God-like Saiyan should have just been the SSG power absorbed and SSGSS should have been the new super Saiyan.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:32 am I don't get the weird shit-fits other, 'pick-me' fans throw over the simplistic looks of the new transformations. Color and color language are cool and easy to understand. Visual mediums with an emphasis on action should be simple and easy on the eye. Changing color and a few small details is optimal.
I think this is probably behind a lot of recent transformations—the new Saiyan forms, Freeza, Piccolo, etc.

Fans look at them and think “lazy,” because color changes have been easy territory for decades of fan designs, but Toriyama looks at them and thinks, “elegant and clean.”

Anyway, I think I said this last page, but the debut chapters work incredibly well for me on a story/character level (some of the most compelling Vegeta since Namek, which was unexpected), and that matters so much more than the visuals of the design.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:44 pm

Cipher wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:07 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:32 am I don't get the weird shit-fits other, 'pick-me' fans throw over the simplistic looks of the new transformations. Color and color language are cool and easy to understand. Visual mediums with an emphasis on action should be simple and easy on the eye. Changing color and a few small details is optimal.
I think this is probably behind a lot of recent transformations—the new Saiyan forms, Freeza, Piccolo, etc.

Fans look at them and think “lazy,” because color changes have been easy territory for decades of fan designs, but Toriyama looks at them and thinks, “elegant and clean.”

Anyway, I think I said this last page, but the debut chapters work incredibly well for me on a story/character level (some of the most compelling Vegeta since Namek, which was unexpected), and that matters so much more than the visuals of the design.
Yeah, I think it is very unfortunate that fans equate simplicity with laziness. Thought does go into designs, like how easily they can be drawn by artists and kids as well as what they might mean. I know when I'm writing my books I tend to switch between styles to a more simplistic prose to highlight a moment, so the idea that simplicity is bad rather than one of many tools is disappointing.

The higher the number of lines in a design the more I find that the person drawing the design is not placing a lot of thought into their design. Just look at Yamamuro's designs, for example, and how poorly they have been animated over the decades.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun May 01, 2022 7:24 pm

Colour change forms (plus eye changes in the case of UI and UE) work pretty fine visually for the anime medium, manga does have some trouble with them but they work alright enough too

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon May 02, 2022 8:09 am

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:24 pm Colour change forms (plus eye changes in the case of UI and UE) work pretty fine visually for the anime medium, manga does have some trouble with them but they work alright enough too
The look of a possible new transformation for Vegeta in the manga before the Ultra Ego chapter was actually a concern. If the intention was to keep the simplistic style adopted since Super Saiyan, there weren't many possibilities for a black and white comic because most of the color/eye combinations had already been used, so a new form could look very similar to the others. But I think visually speaking UE ended up being unique enough to set itself apart (even if it borrows visual details from other transformations)

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue May 03, 2022 8:28 pm

I'm unfamiliar with the circumstances behind the transformation, but visually I respond to it quite positively. And I like the idea of Goku and Vegeta having different transformations, rather than Vegeta just always playing catch-up.