[DBS:Super Hero Spoilers] How would you have handled giving Piccolo his new form?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Power Metal
Not-So-Newbie

[DBS:Super Hero Spoilers] How would you have handled giving Piccolo his new form?

Post by Power Metal » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:44 am

This is a repost that I tried to make on Reddit but it was taken down due to the sub's rules on spoilers. Apologies if this forum has similar rules but I was hoping to hear other's thoughts about Piccolo.

Hi everyone, I marked this as spoilers because of the leaks regarding how Piccolo gets his potential unleashed. I don't know if the leaks are confirmed but apparently
This, to me anyway, seems like a really phoned in way of getting this power-up. I imagine Toriyama said "Okay and Piccolo has his potential unleashed and gets this new yellow-ish form." and the producers/writers ask "And how did he get that?"
How do you feel about the new form and the way Piccolo got it?

I know the movies barely acknowledge/follow the manga but I think a more creative route to take would be to have Monaito survive the events of the current manga arc and let him teach Piccolo how to achieve the new form. Monaito is an old Namek that never knew of his counterparts living on Planet Namek. It could be that he has Namekian knowledge that the people of Namek never had or that was lost over time. He could even have the Namekian Book of Legends that was mentioned in Battle of Gods but never mentioned again.

I do far more lurking than actual posting.

https://www.last.fm/user/AlexPowerMetal

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: [DBS:Super Hero Spoilers] How would you have handled giving Piccolo his new form?

Post by Lionel » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:10 pm

The Namekian Book of Legends always felt like an added throwaway rationalisation in the anime to somehow justify the existence of lore surrounding a mythical 'Super Saiyan God' form. Why it was only delved into to support an alien species' combat state and not any traditions, lore or martial culture of the species who actually wrote it is just silly, I think. We know the Namekians have a treasure trove of unusual mythos that could be explored, namely in the pursuit of building up Piccolo's resume for the battlefield. Why hasn't that happened and instead they're choosing to rehash a frankly shoddy method for him to grow more powerful?

It would be easy to have Piccolo seek out North Kai so he can request to learn the invaluable Kaioken technique that Goku once used or Elder Kaioshin to unlock his potential. What's actually happening, and in the condition of a gaudy lemon coloured form, just seems haphazard. I think many of us would prefer to see someone other than Goku take advantage of the Kaioken because of how useful it is. Take the Kaioken, combine with the Elder Kaioshin ritual or maybe god ki, and you have a viable set up for Piccolo to make an impressive return.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: [DBS:Super Hero Spoilers] How would you have handled giving Piccolo his new form?

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:13 pm

I don't have any problems. In fact, it does surprise me that this was the first time they used the Dragon Balls to wish for such a thing, you'd expect the characters would have done that (a lot) in the past, but nope, this is the first time.

I'm okay with the design, there's just not much you can do with Piccolo. His other transformation will change just the eyes, so it seems all you can do is minimal changes, which is also something I'm very okay with (no wonder Super Saiyan 2 is the best form!).

Speaking of the transformation that changes just the eyes, I'd like the Namekuseijin Book to be how he attains it. It involves some air of mystery and myth into it, so it's best reserved for that purpose. It could even be Piccolo's god form.

With Ultimate and the red-eyed form at his disposal, that's enough for him, two very strong transformations that could make Piccolo relevant in the fights again.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:05 pm

I think i would have given him kaioken too. It makes sense that Piccolo learned it on King Kai's planet. Not to mention, he has two people fused into him and Namekians seem extremely durable with their regeneration.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:38 pm

For the time being, particularly since the film isn't even out yet and no-one has the full context with which to discuss these items, this kind of question/discussion seems more appropriate for the general, on-going, all-encompassing topic about the film. Thanks!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::