Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Kagari » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:13 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:57 am
Kagari wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:40 am

He's an audience PoV character but Gohan is still integral to the plot and without him the movie would be completely different. A lot of Piccolo's role is there to hype up Gohan. The RRA was always going to kidnap Pan to lure Gohan into conflict regardless of Piccolo observing that conversation or not. As the producer said, they are both leads.
I don't know how to feel about that now that I know he wasn't supposed to be in it originally. Piccolo hyping up Gohan comes with the territory once Gohan is involved because of the nature of their relationship but I like that for once the focus is on the teacher rather than the student.

Still, can help but think Piccolo's 2nd transformation would've been given the final blow against the villain if he'd been alone. Oh well, c'est la vie
These decisions were made during initial planning so it's not really something to be concerned about. Piccolo still helps in the climax, both he and Gohan have to be there for it to even happen.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:19 am

Kagari wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:13 am
Kagari wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:40 am

He's an audience PoV character but Gohan is still integral to the plot and without him the movie would be completely different. A lot of Piccolo's role is there to hype up Gohan. The RRA was always going to kidnap Pan to lure Gohan into conflict regardless of Piccolo observing that conversation or not. As the producer said, they are both leads.
I don't know how to feel about that now that I know he wasn't supposed to be in it originally. Piccolo hyping up Gohan comes with the territory once Gohan is involved because of the nature of their relationship but I like that for once the focus is on the teacher rather than the student.

Still, can help but think Piccolo's 2nd transformation would've been given the final blow against the villain if he'd been alone. Oh well, c'est la vie
These decisions were made during initial planning so it's not really something to be concerned about. Piccolo still helps in the climax, both he and Gohan have to be there for it to even happen.
That's cool. I like team effort vs soloing anyway :D

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:20 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:19 am

Yeah it's a cool combination fight.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:27 am

Finally an official English trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JHZwtObqs

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:27 am

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... h-dub-cast

More international release dates:
  • August 18 in Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Colombia, Central America, Ecuador, Bolivia, Uruguay, Paraguay
  • August 19 in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Zambia, Vietnam
  • August 26 in India, Indonesia
  • August 30 in Malaysia, Brunei
  • August 31 in the Philippines
  • September 1 in Singapore
  • September 8 in Taiwan
  • September 15 in South Korea
  • September 29 in Thailand, Hong Kong, Macao
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:33 am

Kagari wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:20 am
Michsi wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:19 am

Yeah it's a cool combination fight.
Yeah both helped defeated the big bad so no issues

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:41 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:27 am https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... h-dub-cast

• August 18 in Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Colombia, Central America, Ecuador, Bolivia, Uruguay, Paraguay
  • August 19 in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Zambia, Vietnam
  • September 8 in Taiwan
Neat, hopefully they do subbed and dubbed screenings in the US. I will probably end up watching twice if they do that, once with a family member who prefers dubs and once alone subbed. If they do only dubbed though...guess I'm waiting for the Blu-ray. I forget, did the last movie screen with subs?

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:44 am

Catsenti wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:41 am
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:27 am https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... h-dub-cast

• September 8 in Taiwan
Neat, hopefully they do subbed and dubbed screenings in the US. I will probably end up watching twice if they do that, once with a family member who prefers dubs and once alone subbed. If they do only dubbed though...guess I'm waiting for the Blu-ray. I forget, did the last movie screen with subs?
I will also try IMAX if it is available in my place

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:47 am

Might be a little too early to say with only one line, but looks like they recast Pan.

I wonder if that means Teen Trunks and Goten were recast too. I hope not.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:59 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:47 am Might be a little too early to say with only one line, but looks like they recast Pan.

Jeannie Tirado played Pan in DBS anime too. No reason to change Trunks, he has the same voice as Future Trunks. Robert McCollum (Z era voice actor) voiced Teen Goten in Z Kai, right before Super started, no point changing him either.

GT era voice actor for Pan hasn't worked on DB since early 2000s.

EDIT: lol why'd I write that, Crunchyroll posted the voice actors:

The English voice cast includes:

Son Gohan - Kyle Hebert
Son Goku - Sean Schemmel
Son Goten - Robert McCollum
Piccolo - Christopher R. Sabat
Bulma - Monica Rial
Vegeta - Christopher R. Sabat
Krillin - Sonny Strait
Trunks - Eric Vale
Videl - Kara Edwards
Pan - Jeannie Tirado
Last edited by mute_proxy on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:11 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:59 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:47 am Might be a little too early to say with only one line, but looks like they recast Pan.

Jeannie Tirado played Pan in DBS anime too. No reason to change Trunks, he has the same voice as Future Trunks. Robert McCollum (Z era voice actor) voiced Teen Goten in Z Kai, right before Super started, no point changing him either.

GT era voice actor for Pan hasn't worked on DB since early 2000s.
GT voice for Pan voiced her in Kai, that’s what I was going by. If that’s DBS Pan then that makes sense then.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:14 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:11 am GT voice for Pan voiced her in Kai, that’s what I was going by. If that’s DBS Pan then that makes sense then.
I edited my post with a list of actors from Crunchyroll.

And no, GT Pan was Kate Bristol, Kai Pan was Elise Baughman. Wait.. I'm confused, Google says they both voiced GT Pan?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:23 am

MAGENTA IS MARIO WHAT
This is the most unexpected ever :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:24 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:14 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:11 am GT voice for Pan voiced her in Kai, that’s what I was going by. If that’s DBS Pan then that makes sense then.

And no, GT Pan was Kate Bristol, Kai Pan was Elise Baughman. Wait.. I'm confused, Google says they both voiced GT Pan?
Nah man, Elise voiced her in GT too. Kate Bristol must be from the other GT dub.

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:32 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:24 am

Nah man, Elise voiced her in GT too. Kate Bristol must be from the other GT dub.
Nope, Kate Bristol played a younger Pan in Funi's GT dub. Blue Water Pan is Caitlynne Medrek.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:39 am

Catsenti wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:32 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:24 am

Nope, Kate Bristol played a younger Pan in Funi's GT dub. Blue Water Pan is Caitlynne Medrek.
Oh that flashback scene to when she was small. Okay yeah that’s not Elise, that point wasn’t really clear. Still, Elise voiced Pan for entirety of GT and the Hero’s Legacy movie, besides that one scene, which was my whole point.

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:36 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:23 am MAGENTA IS MARIO WHAT
This is the most unexpected ever :lol:
Now we have another "unexpected Charles Martinet role" to add to the list, which so far includes Paarthurnax and that senator from JoJo Part 3's OVA. But yeah, Charles works as Magenta, even if unexpected. I do foresee a meme or two of Mario stuff with DB because of this, or at least a piece of fanart of Mario in Magenta's suit.

"Wahoo, I'mma resurrect the-a Red Ribbon Army!"

:lol:

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:55 pm

yeah this is a meme movie and the dub cast is playing into i see :D . i remember when magenta was revealed people on twitter posted he looked like a knockoff mario and now they actually got charles martinet to voice him.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:58 pm

I suppose the people worried what a return to in-studio dubbing would mean for casting can breath a little easier; Zach Aguilar is pretty much a California-only actor, so I suspect the California-Texas-Canada-New York-Wherever casting will continue for a while longer.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:30 pm

Michsi wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:13 am
omaro34 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:09 am
He is the main character, he has the most screen time and lines while being the driving force of the plot.
I can't believe this is real.
You'd be surprised by the interactions Piccolo has with characters he never really interacts with in the past. Without spoiling anything, Piccolo and Bulma have a few scenes together bickering back and forth which was funny, and Piccolo's interaction with Pan and their little fist bump is my favorite part of the film.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl