Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by sigmasigma » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:26 am

Meito wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:02 am
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:59 am
Anyway, I haven't had this much fun since BoG. You can feel that Toriyama was heavily involved. On a side note, I felt that some scenes in the film were too rushed, so I hope they will release an uncut version with more content in DVD/Blu-Ray.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:37 am

Okay, so Box Office numbers aside, does anyone have an idea of how the general reaction in Japan is towards this movie ? I mean reviews and opinions and the like?
omaro34 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:30 pm
Michsi wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:13 am
omaro34 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:09 am
He is the main character, he has the most screen time and lines while being the driving force of the plot.
I can't believe this is real.
You'd be surprised by the interactions Piccolo has with characters he never really interacts with in the past. Without spoiling anything, Piccolo and Bulma have a few scenes together bickering back and forth which was funny, and Piccolo's interaction with Pan and their little fist bump is my favorite part of the film.
I love that he got a power up, but this is what I'm here for. It seems those of you who saw it already like it for the most part. Maybe it won't do so well at the box office, but at least it'll be rated better

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:15 am

I just don't know why Cell Max had to be portrayed the way he was.

They should have made him the same human sized and gave him an intelligence. Of all the characters they've brought back and powered up like Frieza, Trunks and Android 17, Cell was so easy to do.

All they had to do was have it so that this new Cell Max had the DNA from the current strongest characters, Blue Goku, Blue Vegeta, Broly, Piccolo etc. It did seem like such a waste.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:35 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:15 am I just don't know why Cell Max had to be portrayed the way he was.

They should have made him the same human sized and gave him an intelligence. Of all the characters they've brought back and powered up like Frieza, Trunks and Android 17, Cell was so easy to do.

All they had to do was have it so that this new Cell Max had the DNA from the current strongest characters, Blue Goku, Blue Vegeta, Broly, Piccolo etc. It did seem like such a waste.
Maybe they want to focus more on the Gammas? A movie may not have enough time to give development to so many new characters.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:37 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:15 am I just don't know why Cell Max had to be portrayed the way he was.

My personal opinion is that they only used Cell because his second form was Toriyama's favorite and as I said before, this movie strikes me as the Toei team letting him take the reigns and have fun. Also, I heard there is a Kaiju fight. I think they really wanted that kaiju fight.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:03 am

If it's Toriyama's favourite then it's understandable but I think for the fans, thy would have absolutely have preferred the Red Humanoid Intelligent Perfect Cell Max to the Red Kaiju Brainless Semi Perfect Cell Max.

I don't think that's even debatable. It could have been something of a struggle because they don't have to spend as much time on what we got but they should have done it.

Even from a video game point of view they could have that in a video game. You can't really have the one we got. Well unless they reduced his size which is possible.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:12 am

Cell's characterization was bland to begin with. He works as an obstacle for the heroes to overcome, but he was generic and kinda boring as a character; so making him a kaiju with no characterization at all isn't that much of a downgrade to me.

Plus I'm all for finally getting a proper kaiju fight in Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:14 am

I also think it's a bit weird that Cell didn't evolve at the end. According to someone who saw it they even have Wakamoto doing the screams (can't confirm) and it's strange that they'd bring in such a prolific VA just for that. When the Cell Max spoiler was revealed I was convinced one or both Gamma's would end up being absorbed.

Meito

Post by Meito » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:28 am

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:37 am

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:12 am

Cell's characterization was bland to begin with. He works as an obstacle for the heroes to overcome, but he was generic and kinda boring as a character; so making him a kaiju with no characterization at all isn't that much of a downgrade to me.

The U3 Fusion robot from the TOP was already awesome.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:02 am

I don't think Cell was boring. He wasn't as interesting as Frieza though.

I know the character isn't very popular in Japan but Cell in general has always been pretty damn popular in the west after all.

I just think they kind of screwed him over. Fans aren't going to be too happy with it.

Even if they did just want him to be a final boss. They could have had a Red Perfect Cell and still not talk. No screaming either though. He'd have just been intimidating like a T-800 Endoskeleton or something.

If for some chance they ever make an anime adaptation of this arc they could do with changing that up. Could start the same but he should transform in the end.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:10 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:02 am
If for some chance they ever make an anime adaptation of this arc they could do with changing that up. Could start the same but he should transform in the end.
That's actually what I've been thinking about. The limited runtime and wanting the Gammas to stay relevant for the majority of it might be what prompted them to cut Perfect Cell Max, but in the anime they could stretch it however long they want and add him.

Though I say this as someone who isn't holding their breath for an announcement for a new series any time soon.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:13 am

I love that they gave Piccolo so much of the spotlight, he's always been one of my favorite characters and I've wanted him to become relevant again for a long time; I just hope they keep him relevant and on the same level as Goku and Vegeta.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:14 am

HeroR wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:37 am The U3 Fusion robot from the TOP was already awesome.
Still haven't seen/read Super so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone else becomes a kaiju-sized giant in that fight.
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:02 am I don't think Cell was boring. He wasn't as interesting as Frieza though.
You're right about that.

For me, Cell is more interesting in concept and visual design; as a character he's lacking.
I know the character isn't very popular in Japan but Cell in general has always been pretty damn popular in the west after all.
True, but even here he has his detractors.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:28 am

Michsi wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:10 amThat's actually what I've been thinking about. The limited runtime and wanting the Gammas to stay relevant for the majority of it might be what prompted them to cut Perfect Cell Max, but in the anime they could stretch it however long they want and add him.
Exactly. There's really no real reason why they couldn't just expand on the ending.

Just so long as they didn't retread the Cell Games too much.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:41 am

So, I haven't seen it yet, or fallen into the pits of spoilers and hope to remain that way, knowing the bare minimum, but I do wonder....
Was the movie as bad as many users were saying it was going to be this past few months, even though they hadn't seen it? were they right, did it suck?

Was the CGI so bad?

Did this movie ruin the franchise as predicted?

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:55 am

Loved the movie.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:24 am

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:12 am

We’ve had one for over 20 years now. Z Movie 13.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:51 am

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:14 am
HeroR wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:37 am The U3 Fusion robot from the TOP was already awesome.
Still haven't seen/read Super so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone else becomes a kaiju-sized giant in that fight.
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:02 am I don't think Cell was boring. He wasn't as interesting as Frieza though.
You're right about that.

For me, Cell is more interesting in concept and visual design; as a character he's lacking.
True, but even here he has his detractors.
No. It was more about U7 working together, which included Frieza. 17 was also awesome.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:57 pm

Stop calling him Gohan Blanco. He has gray hair