An Anime-Next Rant: The Goku Figure From Hell!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

An Anime-Next Rant: The Goku Figure From Hell!

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:22 pm

So, I just came back from Anime-Next and as usual I've returned with some pretty cool loot. I got some art books, some old DVD's, A little Mario key chain, and this...

Yea... looks pretty bad ass don't it? When I got back to my hotel room I opened the box to find that you have to put it together. No problem, I've done this before. Who hasn't taken there action figures apart and put them back together before... (Don't answer that :lol: ). So The boots are on his feet, his top half is done, the bottom half is done, the next thing is to put the top and bottom half's together. I tried for like 5 minutes and could not do it. I like to think Iam pretty strong but this was just insane.

My friend that was there grabbed it out of my hand because at this point I just looked pathetic. He tried and... Nothing. I ended up pressing the two legs together and sticking it in his top half but then the plastic was misshapen and it looked like Goku was anorexic.

At one point I just placed top and bottom half's on top of each other with nothing holding it but it would just fall from the slightest breeze or... frustrated bitch slap....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixZcrMcXRj8

After about a half hour of frustration, sticking pens in his torso, squeezing legs together, taking his boots off and just plain old strength, we said eff it.

We did eventually find somthing that fit into his top half...

Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:24 pm

HAHAHAHAHAAA!!! I've dealt with Banpresto figures before and I know what you mean. Anyways, it looks sort of cool, kind of like those Star Wars cups that Taco Bell had back in the days of Episode I. :lol:

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:32 pm

I am neither Goku nor Ginger Ale I am the instrument of your defeat!
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Genki-Dama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Genki-Dama » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Holy shit!!! screw the figure, that box looks sweet!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:29 pm

It's a shame, because he looks really cool (aside from the pieces-won't-fit-together part).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:36 pm

Hey man, I just got that awesome figure too. It is a bitch to get him together, but I have a trick that will make it very easy and safe to get him put together without breaking him.

Go to the kitchen sink, turn the water on hot all the way and let it run for a minute until it starts to steam. Run the uber hot water over the parts that fit together, and it will make the plastic softer and flexible. While it is in this state, quickly put each part together. Then dry him off. The plastic will return to room temperature and harden, and it will stay together as a single solid peice.

That figure is truly a great display piece.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:17 pm

HAHA That video was priceless. That sucks dude, same thing has happened to me before with certain gashapon figures.
Trans rights, now!

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:20 pm

I have to say... (and I apologize for this in advance) I am GLAD I didn't buy that while I was there. I thought about it, but decided against it.

Now I see why I felt that way...
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:53 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I am neither Goku nor Ginger Ale I am the instrument of your defeat!
You win this topic.

This confirms that I should stick with my two not-that-great Dragonball figures, it's simple too risky to warrant getting any others.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:57 pm

Go to the kitchen sink, turn the water on hot all the way and let it run for a minute until it starts to steam. Run the uber hot water over the parts that fit together, and it will make the plastic softer and flexible. While it is in this state, quickly put each part together.
Oh man, that actually worked! Now all my other figures are jealous...

(whats with all these pictures latley? I don't know... Thats the last of them hopefully.)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:36 pm

That's awesome. XD

Do you mind me asking how much he cost?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

StarrDust
Not-So-Newbie

Post by StarrDust » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 pm

I bought that action figure at a local convention. Only, when I bought it, it was the last one and the guy already had it put together. So I just grabbed the figure and the box and flew away happily.

Goku currently sits on top of my TV, ruling over all the other collectables in my room. Still haven't figured out a good place to put to box, so it just hangs out with my shoes. :P
Trying is the first step towards failure.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:35 pm

HA!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one, I was at Anime Next and bought this figure aswell...It took me like 20 minutes to finally get it together.
Do you mind me asking how much he cost?
I think it costed me $25.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

StarrDust
Not-So-Newbie

Post by StarrDust » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:40 am

It cost me $30
Trying is the first step towards failure.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:25 am

What a funny story how it took 3 guys to put this thing together. That would make a hilarious youtube video in my opinion.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:27 am

It cost me $30
Yea I paid 30.