DBS Manga Spoiler: So About That Wish...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

DBS Manga Spoiler: So About That Wish...

Post by Wrigglything » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:26 am

Since the Granolah arc is a done deal, I think now is the best time for me to ask this. When Bardock decided to wish for his sons to live well and prosper or whatever, did Monaito really 100% unquestionably grant that wish for Bardock? Or was it just some sort of fluke that Bardock says that was not granted or denied anyway? Because it seems that the wish did not really last till both Goku and Raditz in their adulthood anyway given their deaths on Earth.

This wish either way didn't ruin the original anime for me, nor do I feel it enhanced them in the long run. I still see that Goku had to struggle to get to where he is today (or, well, how he became by the end of the manga anyway), even with the wishes context in mind, but its pretty wild this one piece of dialogue sent the fanbase down a frenzy for the month.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DBS Manga Spoiler: So About That Wish...

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:53 am

As far as we can tell, Bardock and Toronbo were still connected, so Toronbo could have heard Bardock's wish. Not needing Monaito at all.

Anyway, the wish was granted, as Vegeta later comments upon it. It lasted until they reached adulthood, as Bardock wished for them to "grow up well", not to "live well". There's a major difference. That means Goku and Raditz only had plot armor during their childhoods. Now we know why Goku survived events that should have killed him.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~