Saiyan Tails

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gokii

Saiyan Tails

Post by Gokii » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:38 am

So we know that Saiyans grow tails but after trunks is born, we don’t see the grow tails, what’s the reason for this?

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: Saiyan Tails

Post by TobyS » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:08 am

Gokii wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:38 am So we know that Saiyans grow tails but after trunks is born, we don’t see the grow tails, what’s the reason for this?
Out of universe toriyama didn't want to deal with it.

In universe it's probably like RL genetics where you have a chance of inheriting it or you don't. Gohan got it and Trunks and Goten didn't.
Pans saiyan dna is too diluted I guess.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:49 am

Toriyama almost hit the mark with the whole S-cell stuff, unfortunately he wasn't capable of connecting all pieces into one unified coherent explanation.

As far as I can deduct, Saiyans basically have highly adaptable genetic structures, that will change during the course of their life and that change will pass on to their offspring.

I believe that there comes a point, where the bodies of Saiyans grow past the need for a tail and thus won't grow it back anymore, when they have the path to greater power in the form of Super Saiyan in their sights.
So basically the gene for tails and thus Ozaru get suppressed, when they have got close to the gene for Super Saiyan, because SS is better.

Toriyama came up with S-Cells to explain how a Saiyan becomes a Super Saiyan and how that amount would increase with a higher battle power and more gentle nature.

He also mentioned at some point how tails and battle power were somewhat linked. And something was mentioned about Universe 6 Saiyans as well in the manga(My memory is very hazy, so take this with a grain of salt, I need the proper quotes to establish what's fact and what is just something I cooked up in my mind!)

In any case in the fandom some of us have had the idea for a long time, that due to the Saiyans' nature of constantly adapting, that traits such as tails could be evolved out of the genepool to be replaced with easier accessibility to Super Saiyan, due to when they were conceived by their parents.

Gohan was conceived by a Goku, that had yet to start down the path of Super Saiyan, so he was born like a typical Saiyan with tail.

Whereas Goten and Trunks(maybe also Future Trunks) were conceived, when their fathers were already Super Saiyan or at least on the cusp of becoming one(thus in Trunks' case, Vegeta would still have an adequate amount of S-Cells to pass on, even if he wasn't a SS at the time).

That is why Goten and Trunks were born tailless. Their genetic makeup was different from the Saiyans of old and so they were born without the need for a tail and Ozaru, because a stronger gene for Super Saiyan accessibility was present.

I believe this works far better than the "tails are a recessive gene, lolz" answer that Toriyama came up with back in the beginning of the millenia, without going into why that is the case. At least the latest stuff he has mentioned about S-Cells is getting closer to my preferred explanation :think:

Gokii

Post by Gokii » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:19 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:49 am Toriyama almost hit the mark with the whole S-cell stuff, unfortunately he wasn't capable of connecting all pieces into one unified coherent explanation.

As far as I can deduct, Saiyans basically have highly adaptable genetic structures, that will change during the course of their life and that change will pass on to their offspring.

I believe that there comes a point, where the bodies of Saiyans grow past the need for a tail and thus won't grow it back anymore, when they have the path to greater power in the form of Super Saiyan in their sights.
So basically the gene for tails and thus Ozaru get suppressed, when they have got close to the gene for Super Saiyan, because SS is better.

Toriyama came up with S-Cells to explain how a Saiyan becomes a Super Saiyan and how that amount would increase with a higher battle power and more gentle nature.

He also mentioned at some point how tails and battle power were somewhat linked. And something was mentioned about Universe 6 Saiyans as well in the manga(My memory is very hazy, so take this with a grain of salt, I need the proper quotes to establish what's fact and what is just something I cooked up in my mind!)

In any case in the fandom some of us have had the idea for a long time, that due to the Saiyans' nature of constantly adapting, that traits such as tails could be evolved out of the genepool to be replaced with easier accessibility to Super Saiyan, due to when they were conceived by their parents.

Gohan was conceived by a Goku, that had yet to start down the path of Super Saiyan, so he was born like a typical Saiyan with tail.

Whereas Goten and Trunks(maybe also Future Trunks) were conceived, when their fathers were already Super Saiyan or at least on the cusp of becoming one(thus in Trunks' case, Vegeta would still have an adequate amount of S-Cells to pass on, even if he wasn't a SS at the time).

That is why Goten and Trunks were born tailless. Their genetic makeup was different from the Saiyans of old and so they were born without the need for a tail and Ozaru, because a stronger gene for Super Saiyan accessibility was present.

I believe this works far better than the "tails are a recessive gene, lolz" answer that Toriyama came up with back in the beginning of the millenia, without going into why that is the case. At least the latest stuff he has mentioned about S-Cells is getting closer to my preferred explanation :think:
This makes a lot of sense and I didn’t even know about S-Cells

Gokii

Post by Gokii » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:19 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:49 am Toriyama almost hit the mark with the whole S-cell stuff, unfortunately he wasn't capable of connecting all pieces into one unified coherent explanation.

This makes a lot of sense and I didn’t even know about S-Cells

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:15 am

Gokii wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:38 am So we know that Saiyans grow tails but after trunks is born, we don’t see the grow tails, what’s the reason for this?
See below.
He wasn't capable? More like he wasn't asked. I think he gave all the information needed to understand (in-universe) how it works:

"It seems that tails are a recessive genetic trait."

"The tail lets you gain tremendous strength instantly by transforming into a giant ape, but the risks are equally great–you’ll lose your strength if it’s squeezed. Once you’re as powerful as Vegeta and Goku, the tail just gets in the way. It is thought that the bodies of Saiyans, who are a fighting species, decided that their tails are unnecessary appendages."

"It’s not like anyone can become a Super Saiyan through training and anger. In order to become a Super Saiyan, one’s body must contain something called “S-Cells”. Once these S-Cells reach a certain amount, a trigger such as anger will explosively increase the S-Cells and cause a change in the body; that’s Super Saiyan. Most Saiyans have some S-Cells, although not a great quantity. The reason why Goku and Vegeta’s children can become Super Saiyan relatively easily is probably because to a certain extent they inherited a lot of S-Cells, and also because Earth’s environment is gentler and easier to live in than Planet Vegeta."

The logic is clear, once Saiyans reach a certain power threshold (Super Saiyan?), the tail doesn't grow back, and the chances of those genes being passed down are lower. Add to the fact that they are recessive genes, and you have the reason why Trunks, Goten and Pan don't have them.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:06 am

Yes so I remebered some things right. The kids inherited the S-Cells from their fathers and that is partly why Super Saiyan comes easy to them.
Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:15 am He wasn't capable? More like he wasn't asked. I think he gave all the information needed to understand (in-universe) how it works:
Yes he wasn't capable. Not being asked has nothing to do with it, because, if he really had it all ready to go in his mind, he could have started explaining it all in detail unprompted.
No vagueness with "it is thought..." and other such statements.
Just straight up direct statements directly from the author's mouth telling us: this is how it works, as decreed by the God of Dragon Ball.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:51 am

dbgtFO wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:06 am Yes he wasn't capable. Not being asked has nothing to do with it, because, if he really had it all ready to go in his mind, he could have started explaining it all in detail unprompted.
No vagueness with "it is thought..." and other such statements.
Just straight up direct statements directly from the author's mouth telling us: this is how it works, as decreed by the God of Dragon Ball.
These are direct statements directly from the author's mouth telling us how it works. The fact that you have a problem on how Toriyama chose to phrase things says nothing about his capability of giving a coherent explanation. Specially when his comments are coherent already.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:34 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:51 am These are direct statements directly from the author's mouth telling us how it works. The fact that you have a problem on how Toriyama chose to phrase things says nothing about his capability of giving a coherent explanation. Specially when his comments are coherent already.
Meh, I just don't feel like starting an explanation with "it is thought..."(by whom?) sounds very direct. It opens up the possibility, it might not work that way.