Do you want a Tournament of Power II?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Do you want a Tournament of Power II?

Post by Peach » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:44 pm

- A Jiren that works with his team
- Blue/Blue Evolution/Ultra Instinct/Ultra Ego Universe 6 Saiyans
- A Magetta that doesn't get anxiety
- Golden Frost
- Orange Universe 6 Namekians
- 4 universes we haven't seen fighters from

against Beast Gohan, Orange Piccolo, Ultra Ego Vegeta, Gamma, Uub, Granolah, Gogeta, Adult Gottenks

It just seems fun

Would you like to see a Tournament of Power II at some point?

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Do you want a Tournament of Power II?

Post by kyppk » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:30 pm

I wouldn't mind a second ToP, but I'd like to see the team FFA system either changed or written so that most universes aren't explicitly gunning U7 down.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:44 pm

kyppk wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:30 pm I wouldn't mind a second ToP, but I'd like to see the team FFA system either changed or written so that most universes aren't explicitly gunning U7 down.
I agree.

I wouldn't mind if they went with a world tournament style bracket either. With an occasional battle royale match.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:47 pm

Could we get something more interesting in its place, please?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:05 pm

Probably not next arc or even the one after, but yes, definitely at some point. Dragon Ball tournaments are fun, god dammit. And the current status quo feels specially built for it. I mean, you've got: Ultra Instinct Goku, Ultra Ego Vegeta, Orange Piccolo, Beast Gohan, Black Freeza, Broly, Merus, Granolah, Gamma 1 and more all hanging out around in roughly the same ballpark in Universe 7.

What I anticipate is more of a collaborative tournament where the universes get sorted into mixed teams and have to work together. We could get more crazy twists like Universe 10 resurrecting Goku Black (cause he's kind of mortal, right) to fight for them as revenge for getting whooped so badly last time, only for him to get put alongside another universe anyway. Since the original T.O.P. gave Freeza some more depth, maybe the same could happen for Zamasu and he can gain some begrudging respect for mortals.

Of course, it would also be interesting to see how Universes 6 and 11 have evolved since last time. And there's the lingering questions of the unseen destroyed universes and powerful new warriors emerging in the known ones, continuing the themes of the manga storylines that being the strongest in the universe is fleeting, anyone can surpass anyone in the blink of an eye. #UltraInstinctKatopesla

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:08 pm

My guess is that I would definitely enjoy a tournament, but I don't know about a second ToP... the bored Zen-o excuse is fine, but ToP characters are not interesting enough, I would maybe like to hear what happened to them or see a cameo, but they fulfilled their role (unless they create totally new ones, but then why use them).
Maybe with the remaining universes and u7 joins? Or a hakaishins tournament with open inscriptions. Either way, something with less stakes, like Budokai Tenkaichi or the Champa tournament.
Last edited by pepd on Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:11 pm

I'd prefer a newer idea, but DB has tournaments all through it. I'm sure they could create a new one with a different twist.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:26 am

As long as it wouldn't be more of the same with a different coat of paint. Allow killing so there's actual tension, and allow flying.
Maybe even mix up the teams so that one Team needs to have fighters from two Universes, for example.

I also don't think Frieza would work with the U7 team this time around

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:22 am

Not really, the one we had was incredibly dragged out and just felt hollow for the most part. We've also had too many recycled ideas between bringing back fan favourite characters, retelling movies and tournaments.

I'd like to see new ideas explored in Dragon Ball, like a political thriller Sadala arc with different factions fighting for control or a war arc perhaps between Freeza's new empire and anyone who opposes him.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:18 pm

It could be fun. I'm curious how it would work since there probably wouldn't be the threat of universes being erased again. I guess more like the U6 tournament and just a wish from the Super DBs for the winning team?

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:36 pm

No. Toei didn't deliver, Toyotarou didn't deliver too. Only the final fight was nice, but the whole ToP Arc was boring and it doesn't matter how many more recolors is going to fight.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:30 pm

Yeah, it was my favorite Super arc. A second tournament would also look a looooot more different than the last, from U7 line-up, to the other Universes.

It would actually be kinda cool if out of the 12 universes, each would have to go trough some preliminaries with different rules, till 8 qualifiy for the main event.

Of course, the organizer doesn't have to be Zeno either.

There's lots of ways you can twist it to still be a fresh story, while still giving it the hype feel the original Tournament did.

I just wish we get to see a bit of exploration of other universes first, so we get more invested in the other side characters. Or at least have some villains from other universes, like Zamasu.

Zamasu's story was a nice introduction to U10, we got to see a bit of it and relate to Gowasu, so even though its lineup in the ToP was crap, when they lost you still felt like losing something important.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:21 am

I'm tired of tournaments but If there is another one, I would like it to be after EOZ so we could have the new generation stepping up
I would like something like the tournament on Bojack Unbound movie with fights taking place in different locations.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:35 am

Yes please. My boys Piccolo and Gohan are finally among the top dogs so they need to get used.

I would also absolutely love if Gowasu gets desperate enough and travels to the future and saves Goku Black to have him enter the tournament. We should also see the other 4 universes that didn't participate last time.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:50 am

I'd like something more along the lines of the Dark Tournament, teams vs teams but in a more structured bracket format. Or an every person for themself/battle royale style. Hopefully it's more fun and personal, so no world ending stakes but more character/pride stakes like in early DB. The world-ending stakes added almost nothing to the story last time and made the characters come off as more callous IMO.

More zaniness is welcome too, gags, mini-contests, etc. Diverse fighting biomes like with Babidi's ship so some characters can be advantaged and disadvantaged at random. Stage hazards and other Smash Bros' esque randomness to spice the fights up and little bit if it's a free for all.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:28 am

As long as it won't turn into a "Saiyans smash everything; while the rest do nothing but to get eliminated" arc, why not? I'd like to see a 20 contestants teams going full battle royale and having less episodes than what Dragon Ball Super did last time.

My cast will be: Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Buu, Broly, Vegeta, Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu, Krillin, Gamma 1, Goten, Trunks, Android 18, her overrated emo twin, Master Roshi and 4 new exciting characters from across universe 7.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:49 am

Not really. While the ToP had some really cool moments, I think I'm all tournament-ed out after it.

Give me more bad guys causing trouble. More twists and turns. Character drama, weird new planets or mystical realms. Not placing a bunch of folks in a ring and saying, "Okay, now fight for a hundred episodes." The Super anime has only given us one non-tournament that wasn't a bad retelling of a good movie. Despite my issues with them, the Moro and Granolah Arcs have had me super excited ever since I caught up with the manga. I'm all about more of that kind of thing.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:38 am

I'd be down. Goku and Geran still need their inevitable rematch and begrudging-team-up-against-even-stronger-guy. Gohan, Piccolo, Freeza, and Vegeta have new forms to flex with. It could be some good practice for Broli.

I wouldn't expect there to be a looming threat of universal erasure, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it retain the battle royale format.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:19 am

It seems to be predicted by many but I'm ambivalent to the idea. There's also already a inter-universal/dimensional tournament happening over in Heroes atm, so overlap wouldn't be interesting.