Do you like Dragon Ball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanLives

Do you like Dragon Ball GT?

Post by SaiyanLives » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:54 am

Hey guys

Long time dragon ball fan here lately I've been rewatching everything and buying it for my collection that i just started so i can have the series for life like i always wanted since i was a little kid lol....
Anyway I'm near the end of Z and starting to think what i should watch next,
most people would say Super since its a direct sequel..
But I'm on a journey and want to watch everything so i decided with GT and then Super...
Its been a long time since i seen GT from what i can remember i did like it

Do you guys enjoy GT?
Or do you mostly skip it?
I kno its not cannon but neither are the movies and they're good
I believe akira toriyama did a lot of art designs and stuff for GT tho so he did help on it
Idk I'm just curious what most fans think of GT is it rly that hated? Or are they secretely watching it anyway hahah

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Do you like Dragon Ball GT?

Post by GokuHater » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:04 am

I do enjoy DBGT. Back in the day this was the one sequel to DBZ, there was no talk about what's cannon and what's Toryiama's.

When watching ot first, I enjoyed it very much expect maybe 17 arc. I definietly loved the ending and it seemed to me to be the perfect ending. I even liked the idea of kid Goku, it seemed interesting. I liked Pan, Trunks, SSJ4, Vegeta etc.

Right know I am aware of it's shortcomings but I still like it. Also it seems impossible to now discuss liking or disliking DBGT without comparing it to Super, which is a different thing and I am not a fan of merging these two topics.
If I had to choose, I would give a min. edge to GT but only if just Super anime is involved. With the manga, I'd say there even.

All in all for me GT is a fun but not ideal series. Fortunately it's very short so no that hard tp get through.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:26 am

No.

I also think that the ideas that some people find "so original" are actually terrible.

Baby is just Hatchyak 2.0 with the personality of the guy who created Hatchyak (generic pure evil, desire to get revenge on the saiyans).

The Shadow Dragons are also a stupid idea because you'd think the Gods would have put a warning somewhere that overusing the DBs leads to the creation of these uber eldritch horrors who are a threat to the entire universe. The idea that mortals should be "punished" for something they had no idea of is a dumb premise.

The villain between Baby and the Shadow Dragons who lasted literally 2 episodes is not even worth mentioning.

Some people say that GT had "good ideas, terrible execution", I think it just had terrible ideas tbh.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:57 am

I didn't care for it on my original viewing. Of course I was watching it on Toomami so that really didn't help. I've always said that dub score is the audio version of the watery sensation you get in your mouth just as you're about to puke. I wound up getting most of the singles (back when GameStop sold DVDs) and certainly enjoyed the Japanese version a lot more, but never really took the time to sit down with it.

I only watched it straight through start to finish for the first time when the green bricks were released when I was in college, and I think what shocked me most is how much I was enjoying the early episodes. Just solid adventure stories, relatively low stakes. Baby Saga is way too long, could have easily cut 10 episodes worth of material out. Super 17 has it's moments, but is it crazy to say it's too long at 6 episodes? Maybe it should have been a tv special. I do think they were hitting their stride with the final story, and I've always been curious where it might have gone, but I really do like the final episode. It's very melancholy, very reflective. It really makes me think about the journey I've been on with the characters, so very effective in that sense.

So yeah, serious mixed bag. I would say I've liked progressively more and more over time though. Maybe some of that is nostalgia. I really do recommend that new fans watch it, if for nothing else than historical context. It's not the major time commitment that the other shows are so that's something.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:00 am

No.

1. I can barely remember what actually happens in the plot, and this is because DBGT's storylines do almost nothing in the way of worldbuilding. In DBZ for example, the saiyan arc brings DBZ in to the space age and explains Goku's backstory, the Namek arc does the same thing but for Piccolo and Kami, and the Freeza arc introduces us to what is effectively the galaxy's biggest bad, gives us the most iconic shounen transformation of all time, and provides numerous jumping-off points for other material (e.g. Broly). DBGT basically does none of this.

2. The choreography and aesthetics of the fights are boring. It's a show about fighting - if NOTHING else, this should be a standout, but it's not.

3. The Shadow Dragons - interesting concept, bungled execution. The idea that the frivolous treatment of the Dragon Balls could wrap around and have unforeseen consequences for the heroes is actually a very intriguing idea but instead we get a panties gag, one of the worst fights in DB history, and a fucking SUPER SAIYAN 4 FUSION THAT NEVER ACTUALLY THROWS A (visible) PUNCH. Like, is this a joke?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Gridlock

Post by Gridlock » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:20 am

I like GTs idea, but the execution most of the time was really meh. Baby could have been a really great anti-villian, one that we could even sympathize with. But nah, lets turn him into typical genocidal maniac, with no layers whatsoever. Super 17 is rightfully hated by everyone. And the Dragons? Again, love the idea. Consequences of overuse of the Dragon Balls? Briliant end game arc for the franchise. ...and then the first four Dragons are completly forgetable whatevers. And rather then give everyone last moment to shine, they decide to **ck off back home, and leave everything to Goku. WHAT. THE. HELL. SERIOUSYLY. The world is in ruin, you lost your "get out of jail free card", and you decide "whateves, Gokus got this. Lets go back ho to see whats on tv."?

But I will always defend SSJ4. Love that form, and to me it makes more sense than SSJGod/Blue ever will.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:40 am

GokuHater wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:04 am I do enjoy DBGT. Back in the day this was the one sequel to DBZ, there was no talk about what's cannon and what's Toryiama's.

Are you forgetting how, starting with the very first Z movie, there's contradicting stories. It was worse back then because the internet was still somewhat new and most people couldn't just do a Netscape Navigator search. Even some of us in the know, who knew the show was based off a comic book but also knew that GT was not based off any comic book.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:16 pm

GokuHater wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:04 am I do enjoy DBGT. Back in the day this was the one sequel to DBZ, there was no talk about what's cannon and what's Toryiama's.
Huh? Yes there was. Fans back in the early 2000s (probably back in the late 90s) were always stating that GT was non-canon because Toriyama didn't write it.

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:02 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:40 am

Are you forgetting how, starting with the very first Z movie, there's contradicting stories. It was worse back then because the internet was still somewhat new and most people couldn't just do a Netscape Navigator search. Even some of us in the know, who knew the show was based off a comic book but also knew that GT was not based off any comic book.
Well, when we first had GT viewing we didn,t have the story contradicting nothing tbh.
We barely had any Z movies made and GT was airing as a straight continuation of Z (I think we even had it the same day, as first we had last episode of Z and right then the first episode of GT.

The only contradiction or confusion I recall then is when I was confused what the hell was this white and purple thing in Super 17 arc (turns out it was Cooler :lol: )
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:16 pm
Huh? Yes there was. Fans back in the early 2000s (probably back in the late 90s) were always stating that GT was non-canon because Toriyama didn't write it.
Not in Poland they weren't.
We literally had GT aired right after Z as a direct sequel as I mentioned above.
The manga was still on its way or just started being published and internet was very young. No fan I knew then talked or even knew GT isn't an original story.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:47 pm

GT's not great, but I still like it.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:11 pm

I like it. I liked it more when I was younger, before noticing the issues it has, but I still enjoy it with all of its flaws.

Baby could've been a better villan, an anti-villain. He was a victim of the saiyans, he was betrayed by them, he had the condiments to have our sympathy, like Granola, maybe lose it entirely and go nuts and justify his actions, but no, he turned out being evil from the get-go and you end up thinking hey good thing they killed him back in the day.
Aside from that, it is fun to see, even though they went the most obvious route with him.

S17 arc is just a joke, there's more content and planning behind a SDBH episode.

The Dragons was a nice idea, too bad 4 out of 7 dragons were a joke and Toei usually fumbles with the humour. They did for me with those boring dragons. And of course sidelining literally everybody.
Fights sucked, though, 8 out of 10 fights were boring.

Still, a fun ride, with some good moments and great animation. It was good enough to confort me after Z ended.

SaiyanLives

Post by SaiyanLives » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:04 pm

I can barely remember GT i only remember a episode here and there and the plot somewhat so maybe i should just watch it again,
But yea the fan base seems 50/50 some dont like it and some do lol
Wasnt GT canceled? And it was soposed to have more than 64 episodes ?
Does it still have a proper ending tho or ends with cliffhanger? That i dont remember

Man i just hope Super returns again too losing a bit of hope its been years

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:04 pm

That's actually untrue. The thing was always why GT didn't count because it wasn't canon. If anything, the debate on what is and isn't canon softened a lot with Super, since we have such a broken continuity now (I'd guess between Toriyama's involvement with both the Super anime and manga that contradict each other).

As a kid, I defended GT because there we a lot of elements that I liked about it. I think it's telling that to this day, I barely powered through watching the dub and never finished the Japanese version (despite it being way, way better). It's just a poirly executed, boring series. Lots of interesting ideas on paper, but poor execution. I don't dislike it, but I don't like it either. It's right up the middle for me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:14 pm

I do, moreso than many. It's a fun show and I really enjoy the dynamic between Goku and Pan.

GT's biggest fault is the fight choreography. It's simply boring.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:16 am

I like GT a lot. A whole lot.

-Character wise, I like how they aged up the characters, both in appearance as well as behavior. It's really cool to see how everyone went on with their lives after all that happened in Z. One of the more interesting parts of Dragon Ball in general is seeing characters grow and age. I love seeing what characters like Goten and Satan are up to. This also works as a logical reason for why certain characters don't fight anymore, instead of forcing them back with BS power ups or training.

-There is a sense of finality in GT. Characters actually die without coming back, leaving an impact. And of course, we got a great series finale af the end of GT itself.

-I like how it uses a different palette than Z. It gives it a unique flavor. Also a big fan of Goku's GT gi. It feels "fresh" after all those years of the famous orange gi.

-The soundtrack is just great. From the opening and ending themes to the background music. Love how they arranged Dan dan, appropriate to the situation, along with a slew of incredible new tracks, such as the fighting themes.

-Most of the VA are still alive and sound less like they're going through the motions (Japanese cast).

-From a practical standpoint, it's a short series, making it more easily rewatchable, compared to the other series. It's a neat package, that starts lighthearted, which I like, and transitions in a more action-oriented show.

-Fight scenes could be choreographed a bit better but I prefer the consistent and hand painted animation over the sterile looking later productions, that had more obvious animation dips.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:05 am

Only selected few parts, such as the SS4 transformation, the music and the Shadow Dragons (only the concept) and nothing else.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:40 am

I like GT for what it is, it's different to Dragon Ball Z, which is what turned a lot of fans off, but you've got to respect TOEI for being experimental and trying something different. Looking back I do think they were coming from a place of love and not just trying to cash in on the series consistent popularity.

It's nice that the first half of GT tried to recapture the adventurous spirit of original Dragon Ball, but take it to other planets rather than remain on Earth. The second half of GT was more action-oriented like Z with the fate of the world at stake once again, although admittedly the fight choreography did leave much to be desired.

Baby is ultimately a generic villain whose backstory had a lot of promise. Super 17 was a very random addition, fanservicey but probably not the kind of fanservice that a lot of people would have wanted. An improved version of Cell probably would have made that arc a bit better, if only the original Cell and Freeza weren't just made out to be a joke. The Shadow Dragons were neat, but I would have liked to see more of the heroes battle them. The ending was very memorable though, definitely one Dragon Ball deserved.

Tokunaga's score is fucking beautiful, I flip flopped between it and Kikuchi as both are absolutely perfect for Dragon Ball, but I the former has more of a touch of closure to his sound, so it was probably the better score for GT specifically.

Overall its not the best series, but not the worst either. Its definitely worth watching for anyone that has the time to consume more Dragon Ball outside the core stories.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SaiyanLives

Post by SaiyanLives » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:07 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:40 am I like GT for what it is, it's different to Dragon Ball Z, which is what turned a lot of fans off, but you've got to respect TOEI for being experimental and trying something different. Looking back I do think they were coming from a place of love and not just trying to cash in on the series consistent popularity.

It's nice that the first half of GT tried to recapture the adventurous spirit of original Dragon Ball, but take it to other planets rather than remain on Earth. The second half of GT was more action-oriented like Z with the fate of the world at stake once again, although admittedly the fight choreography did leave much to be desired.

Baby is ultimately a generic villain whose backstory had a lot of promise. Super 17 was a very random addition, fanservicey but probably not the kind of fanservice that a lot of people would have wanted. An improved version of Cell probably would have made that arc a bit better, if only the original Cell and Freeza weren't just made out to be a joke. The Shadow Dragons were neat, but I would have liked to see more of the heroes battle them. The ending was very memorable though, definitely one Dragon Ball deserved.

Tokunaga's score is fucking beautiful, I flip flopped between it and Kikuchi as both are absolutely perfect for Dragon Ball, but I the former has more of a touch of closure to his sound, so it was probably the better score for GT specifically.

Overall its not the best series, but not the worst either. Its definitely worth watching for anyone that has the time to consume more Dragon Ball outside the core stories.
Hmm i might go ahead and buy the green bricks since they're cheap and i only seen a couple episodes,will a blu ray version ever be released for it?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:41 pm

SaiyanLives wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:07 pm

Hmm i might go ahead and buy the green bricks since they're cheap and i only seen a couple episodes,will a blu ray version ever be released for it?
Wal mart should have the complete GT series for like $20.

I don't think Sony/Crunchyroll has given any indication that they're going to ever upgrade the original Dragon Ball and GT to Blu-Ray as they only seem to care about Z and Super. .

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:45 pm

Also, they don't have film masters for the original Dragon Ball or GT, so they probably wouldn't do a Blu-ray release right now anyway (well, they could do an SD Blu-ray, but I don't think they would).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash