Do you want a spin-off about Gohan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Do you want a spin-off about Gohan?

Post by Geraldo » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:04 pm

I do. And personally call such a product: "Dragon Ball π" or "Dragon Ball Delta".

It can start with a canonical version of DBZ movie 1, go through other adventures after the return from Namek, a canonical version of the Garlic Jr. Saga for example, then a canonical version of the Bojack movie which is set a few months after the Cell Games, shortly afterwards the last revenge attempt by Dr. Gero with his supercomputer near North City revamping the deemed failures Androids still in his possession (13, 14 and 15) and feeding them with the most updated data collected by the spy cameras which places their joint effort above Super Perfect Cell, then an arc that follows Gohan's high school days with so and so threats hitting the Earth for him and Videl to overcome.

Piccolo can be his go-to guy, whenever he needs consulting. While Videl can keep in touch with Erasa and Sharpner, who have been dropped out of use too soon thus far and can be their friends who drop by from time to time.

The series can basically go through the wedding episode, and in parallel to all of Super, no need for a battle crazed show - Gohan overcoming a hard time with anxiety during the conference he had in parallel to the Champa Saga for example, or a Watagash tier stories all the way to the moro arc and the Granolah arc to explain what Gohan, Piccolo and the others were doing while "off-screen".

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you want a spin-off about Gohan?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:54 pm

The Garlic Jr and Great Saiyaman sagas had Gohan in the lead. Super Super Hero was about him. What would a spin off even achieve?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:04 pm

I am always looking to see talented creators create art that excites them, so if said creators have a story to tell I would be excited to see their work.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:15 pm

As long as he doesn’t have to be “Whipped into shape” for the Kagillionth time, I’d be game for it. Not a full on side series but a single arc would be enough.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:35 pm

I mean, we have a short manga series where somebody was reincarnated as Yamcha. If that can happen, I don't think a Gohan solo adventure would be an impossibility. Although I would like it to last for more than a single volume of course.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:47 am

Nope, he's not suited to be the MC. He works better as a side character.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:57 am

Only if he's a Super-Hero again. I was really only interested in him during the filler episodes when he was a kid or the filler episodes when he was in high school.

It would have to be slice-of-life-ish like DBS: Super Hero and have to have a lot of Piccolo, Pan, Videl, Satan, Krillin and & 18. Basically I'd just want more DBS: SH.

But a spinoff like you described chronically key moments of his life and expanding on them would be great.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:14 am

I don't see why not. As long as story comes first and they don't try and shoehorn in another transformation. Ideally I'd like a Gohan story to have a nice blend of slice-of-life and action as some of the stuff we saw in Super, and the Great Saiyaman episodes in Z showed there's a lot of potential.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:13 am

I'd be down for that. Frankly, I'd even be OK with spin-offs about Piccolo, Vegeta, or even Kuririn. Not that I don't love Goku--I do--but ever since he Kamehame-yoinked that victory away from Vegeta in Resurrection F, I've always wondered would it be like to focus on one of the other characters going into a setting where they're completely cut off from the other characters.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:32 pm

It would have to be slice-of-life-ish like DBS: Super Hero and have to have a lot of Piccolo, Pan, Videl, Satan, Krillin and & 18. Basically I'd just want more DBS: SH.
I agree
Well honestly, they should make the series about goten, trunks, uub, maron (krillin's duaghter) pan and bra as the new generation of Z warriors, give Pan a mystic power (since she was concieved after Mystic Gohan), haven them train together and save earth, give all of the saiyaman suits for that matter!!! Altough I can see Bra immediately refusing to wear one... mmm.....

If they want to make piccolo and gohan their mentors cool
put more Mr. Satan and fat Buu shenanigans

the series could take place as goku and vegeta train with beerus and brolly and they could show up ocassionally in the show. I am sure that judging by the success of DBS Superheroe Movie it has good chances of happening and as a fan I would not mind, I would even support it.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:38 pm

It'd need to be set on full comedy, I don't have much interest in seeing Beast Gohan or have serious battles with high stakes. I want it to be more lighthearted like SH.
Only Toriyama can pull it off, Toyo's humour tends to fall flat for me. Toei did a good job with the Great Saiyaman arc, though, it was cute and fun.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:12 pm

How about a spinoff for Vegeta lol He actually has some character depth that could be utilized
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:28 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:12 pm How about a spinoff for Vegeta lol He actually has some character depth that could be utilized
Why would he need a spin off when Super has practically made him Goku's co-lead?

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:33 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:28 pm
Cursed Lemon wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:12 pm How about a spinoff for Vegeta lol He actually has some character depth that could be utilized
Why would he need a spin off when Super has practically made him Goku's co-lead?
That has not worked out well for him, with the exception of Broly.
Special Beam Cannon!

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:58 pm

I will say this explicitly but not as a personal attack; people who are stocked on Vegeta are dull most of the time. "Ooooh, did ya see what ma boy Geets do? he pulled a savage [enter slur] and destroyed a [enter slur] completely. Don't you f--k with the prince, YO!". Recognise these? That's part of why the modern Dragon Ball products are subpar instead of fixing themselves from past mistakes/lows.

What can a spin-off about Vegeta deal with? The guy is a former serial killer who was bullied by other stronger serial killers, until he met Goku and his luck began to shine. He's basically a bum who does nothing but training most of his time and sleeping with the richest woman on Earth.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:31 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:33 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:28 pm
That has not worked out well for him, with the exception of Broly.
And a spin off would be different because..?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:06 pm

Sure thing, it could be made in style of Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:00 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:31 pm And a spin off would be different because..?
Are you against spinoffs as a principle or something lol
Special Beam Cannon!

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:36 pm

I actually have a great idea for it.

So Gohan has been slacking off with his training due to his work and studies. Suddenly a villain appears and Gohan is helpless. Now he has to train to regain his powers and beat the villain. People will never see it coming!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:59 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:00 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:31 pm And a spin off would be different because..?
Are you against spinoffs as a principle or something lol
That wasn't the question. Lol