Should Dragon Ball return to YTV?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Should Dragon Ball return to YTV?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:37 am

I know a lot here will say there's no point, linear TV is on the way out, streaming is the future, etc, but I think YTV in particular could be a unique opportunity.

Not only did the channel air all the original Dragon Ball series back in the day, but it's worth noting they aired the Canadian dubs not seen in all English-speaking countries.

The news Mary and the Witch's Flower is set to air had me thinking, perhaps if they had a change of heart about anime (which up to now they hadn't shown in a decade) there may be a chance of the Ocean dub of Kai finally seeing the light of day.

A rerun of the Blue Water dubs would also be significant, particularly original Dragon Ball, which existing recordings of are sadly in very bad quality, and of course half of episode 71 is still lost.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Should Dragon Ball return to YTV?

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:57 am

Any opportunity for Ocean Kai to finally air gets a yes from me. I mean, why not?
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:29 pm

Sure, it'd be nice if that can happen.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:28 pm

Hmm... I say a #OceanKaiForYTV campaign on social media might be worth a try now.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:55 pm

I don't mind if they do

But honestly I am ignorant on how TV stations are working nowadays that we have netflix and bunch more of streamers and Youtube.

In the 90s you needed to have the best shows with the best ratings in order to show the ads for toys, candy etc now who knows if they could benefit from it

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:29 pm

Even better is that they could make the Ocean dubs an option on Crunchyroll as well.
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:27 pm

Gilby1385 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:29 pm Even better is that they could make the Ocean dubs an option on Crunchyroll as well.
I doubt Sony/Funimation/Crunchyroll has the masters for anything outside the episodes Funimation produced

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:48 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:57 am Any opportunity for Ocean Kai to finally air gets a yes from me. I mean, why not?
This 100%. Ocean Kai just has to air. It's been waiting in the wings for well over a decade now.
Tian wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:28 pm Hmm... I say a #OceanKaiForYTV campaign on social media might be worth a try now.
That's a good idea, although the issue would be getting enough retweets and hashtag numbers.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:27 pm I doubt Sony/Funimation/Crunchyroll has the masters for anything outside the episodes Funimation produced
I'm sure Funimation/Crunchyroll could easily acquire all the Canadian dub masters Ocean has in their archive if they wanted to, especially the Westwood Z dub, which likely exists because of Funimation and Ocean's original business agreement.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:43 pm

Honestly that ship has sailed over a decade ago. YTV nowadays in my opinion is dead. I don't think they even air any anime shows anymore. I honestly the bionix days lol