Differences Between the Subtitle Translations

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Re: Differences Between the Subtitle Translations

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:36 am

Adamant wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:24 am It's more like referring to yourself in third person to sound self-important. It sounds imposing when coming from a fictional character like Dr. Doom, it just sounds ridiculous if you say it in real life. No gang member unironically says "ore-sama".
nah, Dr. Doom would use third person but in a dignified, arrogant manner. I think a good example would be Dukemon in Digimon Tamers.

Adding -sama to one's own first person pronoun is usually mark of undignified speech, and "Ore-sama" is specifically low-life tough-speech, what you'd hear from a low-ranking though who thinks too much of themselves.
...in fiction. Because Real Life Japanese speech patterns are quite different and you'd already have hard time to find people using "Ore"

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:10 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:36 am
Adamant wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:24 am It's more like referring to yourself in third person to sound self-important. It sounds imposing when coming from a fictional character like Dr. Doom, it just sounds ridiculous if you say it in real life. No gang member unironically says "ore-sama".
nah, Dr. Doom would use third person but in a dignified, arrogant manner. I think a good example would be Dukemon in Digimon Tamers.

Adding -sama to one's own first person pronoun is usually mark of undignified speech, and "Ore-sama" is specifically low-life tough-speech, what you'd hear from a low-ranking though who thinks too much of themselves.
Yeah, it wasn't meant as an equivalent, but as a similar example of something that works in fiction but just sounds ridiculous in real life.
ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:36 am ...in fiction. Because Real Life Japanese speech patterns are quite different and you'd already have hard time to find people using "Ore"
Go to a bar some time. "Ore" is not something you use in polite company, but it's normal in casual settings with male friends.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

roseofpain

Post by roseofpain » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:49 am

I see that subtitle files for AnimeLabs DBZ ep. 23-270 are available for download, but did AnimeLabs also sub the movies? The first time I watched Movie 09 was on a bootleg VHS.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:48 am

roseofpain wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:49 am but did AnimeLabs also sub the movies?
Yes. that's where Paikuhan swearing up a storm in movie 12 and Vegeta saying "fuck you, you destroyed my house!" in movie 13 came from.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:53 am

ikaos wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:44 pm
roseofpain wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:19 pm Out of curiosity, I wanted to see the differences between the Japanese-to-English subtitle translations from the fansub groups and the official releases.

FANSUB GROUPS

Original Dialogue: 何者だ? 貴 様 この俺 様に用でもあるのか? (Nanimonoda? Kisama kono oresama ni yōde mo aru no ka?)

a-S (Anime-Supreme)
DBNL
AHQ
iKaos
Unfortunately, I don't own any of the official DVD or Blu-ray releases. If anyone has any of them please feel free to post comparisons between them.
iirc correctly AHQ is the oldest one, so it's probably based on fansubs. The others all use the Simmons translation from the official releases.

*EDIT* Here's one of the Pearl fansubs for this episode:
I can confirm ahq is based on VHS subs. I typed off scripts for them. If I remember correctly I typed from the Hawaiian channel ngl for early dbz.

roseofpain

Post by roseofpain » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:13 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:48 am
roseofpain wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:49 am but did AnimeLabs also sub the movies?
Yes. that's where Paikuhan swearing up a storm in movie 12 and Vegeta saying "fuck you, you destroyed my house!" in movie 13 came from.
I wish I could find the subtitles from AnimeLabs for Movies 1-13, but they don't seem to be available anywhere.
Last edited by roseofpain on Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:58 am

Adamant wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:32 amI checked the Danish manga translation and it's just straight forward "Who are you and what do you want with me?" there.
This made me want to check out the Norwegian retranslation (Nobody cares about the Schibsted release; It was awful and deserves to be buried in sludge as opposed to the Outland TL which is mostly good) and... it was pretty much the same thing there.