Favorite Dragon Ball Holiday Memories

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Favorite Dragon Ball Holiday Memories

Post by MrSatan2099 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:34 pm

Well the holiday season is all but wrapped up. I didn't get anything Dragon Ball related for Christmas this year, but I always have fond memories of some cool gifts I've received in the past.

One Christmas in my early teen years (2002?) my folks got me the two TV Special DVDs, first bilingual releases I ever owned and the first time I'd seen them uncut, that was pretty mind blowing at the time.

A few years ago my best friend got me the Figure Rise SS3 Goku model kit, that was a fantastic surprise.

This type of thread has probably been done in the past, but I just wanted to hear some other memories everyone might have from Christmas or other holidays you celebrate.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Favorite Dragon Ball Holiday Memories

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:58 am

For me it was Christmas 2003 when I got Budokai 2, my first PS2 game and first DBZ game. I was blown away by how good it looked and played, and spent the rest of the Christmas holidays playing it non-stop, replaying story mode to unlock all the characters. I remember getting slaughtered by Kid Buu on the final stage. Unlocking SS3 and the Fusions was awesome for 11 year old me. I literally spent 9 hours a day playing the game for almost 2 weeks, and still played it daily well into 2004.

And Christmas 2005 I got Buu's Fury for GBA and loved every minute of it. I was actually very lucky to get it, as it never got a UK release, but some stores stocked US GBA games as they were region free.

And Christmas 2008 I got Infinite World, the last DBZ game on PS2, the last Budokai game, and also one of the best ever. I was surprised when the game got announced, as the Budokai series had essentially being succeeded by the Tenkaichi/Sparking series as the yearly main console game since 2005. Still I was very happy, as I still preferred Budokai 3 to the Tenkaichi trilogy overall, and even a low budget upgrade to the former was a huge deal to me. Needless to say I played the hell out of it, and still revisit it on occasion.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:09 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:58 am

And Christmas 2005 I got Buu's Fury for GBA and loved every minute of it. I was actually very lucky to get it, as it never got a UK release, but some stores stocked US GBA games as they were region free.
Ahhh, I got Buu's Fury that Christmas too! I was a senior in high school so at that time my folks were kind of past getting me things like that, so it was pretty nice. One of the best GBA titles!

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:23 am

Xmas '99 I got an insane amount of DBZ wafer cards, mostly from the Buu arc, and at that time TV was only airing up until the Cell arc, and starting all over again from the beginning, after Goku beats Paikuhan. So I had no clue who most of the people on the cards were (long-haired little kid with a vest, adult Gohan, that princess with a mohawk, many pink people). And I also got Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22, a boring game really with plenty of characters I had never seen. Pretty cool, nevertheless.

Never again had such a DBZ Christmas.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:40 am

I'm surprised there's been so few replies to this topic. I'd have thought more members here would have warm memories of DB at Christmas, but I guess not.

For me DB and Christmas always went together beautifully.

I just remembered Boxing Day 2012 when Kai first aired on UK TV. It was a huge deal at the time, as it had been 7 long years since any DB show had aired on UK TV. I was overjoyed when I saw this promo;
https://youtu.be/SIaAbRkqrMA

Come to think of it I joined this site to discuss Kai's UK broadcast. Insane that 10 years have gone by since then.
MrSatan2099 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:09 pm Ahhh, I got Buu's Fury that Christmas too! I was a senior in high school so at that time my folks were kind of past getting me things like that, so it was pretty nice. One of the best GBA titles!
Nice! I agree it was one of the best on GBA. I might be in the minority, but I preferred it to LoG2. Even though the difficulty was too easy, everything about the game was just so well done. I loved how they encorporated Fusion Reborn into the main story, and getting to play as Goku throughout the game was great after he was barely in LoG2.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:30 am

I'm ashamed to say I discovered I was getting Budokai 2 for Christmas 2004, and I managed to find the place my mam had hidden it, so ended up playing quite a bit, but then I had to wait until Christmas Day because I wasn't meant to get it so early.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: