If Toriyama Continued After Buu...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

If Toriyama Continued After Buu...

Post by Almighty Majin » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:49 pm

After the defeat of Kid Buu, Toriyama skips 10 years ahead into the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai since that was a time frame that Toriyama felt was far ahead enough for him to be comfortable with closing off the original series. If Toriyama had instead decided to continue writing Dragon Ball past the Buu arc at the time, what direction do you think he would have gone?

Personally, I think he would have touched upon the Demon Realm more. Devilman is implied to be from there and Dabura was introduced as the actual demon king. There was also in the Super Exciting Guide where the idea of Makaio and Makaioshin are introduced, it's possible Toriyama might have had this concept at some point while writing the series. Seeing as he wrote and designed Towa and Mira for Dragon Ball Online as well as designing Zahha (another Demon Realm character) for Dragon Ball Legends, this definitely seems to be a fun concept for Toriyama. I do wonder if he had continued past Buu instead of ending the series, perhaps he would have done a plotline with demon kings trying to disrupt the cosmic order (without time travel shenanigans of course)? I could easily see Toriyama stating that Dabura was only the demon king of the north quadrant similarly with King Kai.

Otherwise, I think a Freeza Army Remnant plotline would have come up seeing as this is a plotline that Toriyama is quite fond of. Dragon Ball Online, Yo Son Goku and His Friends Return!, Resurrection F, and DBS: Broly all use this plotline to some extent. It would not be surprising if Toriyama decided to bring back the Freeza Force had he continued DB at the time.

Likewise with the Freeza Army returning, Toriyama has also played around with the Red Ribbon Army returning a third time as well like in Dragon Ball Online with the Red Pants Army or in DBS: Super Hero with Red Ribbon Pharmaceuticals. I do not know how likely it would have been for Toriyama to have gone in this direction though.

What do you think? What potential arcs could have been explored had Toriyama kept going at that time? What arcs would you have hoped for?

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: If Toriyama Continued After Buu...

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:23 am

Honestly, I think Zamasu would have made a great final boss for the original series since his condemnation of mortals (and how he's ultimately wrong about them) would be the perfect reaction to everything that's happened in the original series. Say Zamasu has been observing from afar all these threats the Dragon Team has dealt with over time and concludes that mortals don't learn their lessons and keep causing trouble, including the Dragon Team themselves in that due to their own mistakes. In particular, I do kinda like the idea of there being negative consequences to Future Trunks' time traveling that only became apparent after the fact so you could still bring him back here and have Zamasu focus on him. Yeah, you'd still be overriding the happiest ending he could have possibly had, but at least it wouldn't feel too egregious since we'd only be two arcs removed form his last appearance. Plus it would make sense for the Kaioshin's role in Dragon Ball's cosmology to be fleshed out directly following the arc that introduced them.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:58 pm

I imagine he would have worked with Toei on Dragon Ball GT. Produced it, helped with more designs, helped with writing, done the manga adaption. But keeping the core elements (Space Adventure, Tuffle Return, 17, Hell on Earth, Shadow Dragons) in tact.

I feel it would have been more adventure focused and whimsical - which is the vibe I got from the art he worked on for GT. Maybe a lot more emphasis on the adventure Goku, Pan, and Trunks go on, and a lot more Uub.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:33 pm

A villain like Zamasu makes the most sense.

In the Buu saga, there were no Destroyers/Angels, no Zeno, and no other universes; so, Supreme Kai was the ultimate Divine authority in existence.

In Super, while Zamasu was still a massive threat who destroyed the Multiverse, he was not "THE" final threat... because he was just one Supreme Kai amongst many other Deities from many universes.

But in DBZ? He would easily be Final Villain material, since there was only *one* Supreme Kai of only *one* Universe at the time. Zamasu would be a much more important figure in this context, where there aren't dozens of other deities and universes.

As such, Zamasu, Supreme Kai gone rogue, would have made the most sense for the final villain of the Original Story.