DragonBall and DragonBall Z Complete Manga Sets?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RurouniEX

DragonBall and DragonBall Z Complete Manga Sets?

Post by RurouniEX » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:01 am

Apparently Viz is going to be releasing complete box sets of both the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z manga series 0.o? Is this true? I know there are products listed on a few websites for preordering them, but has anyone heard anything official on them? Or maybe even box arts?

DragonBall set -> http://www.animenation.com/142152614x.html

DragonBall Z set -> http://www.animenation.com/1421526158.html

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:01 am

Does it always say Age rating 13+ or are they maybe this time really uncut.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:08 am

DB is still '13+' and DBZ is still 'all ages'.

I seriously doubt they'll be unedited. I'm still hoping that the upcoming hard backs will be unedited and have colour chapters.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:03 am

Hasn't Mike and Meri talked about this in podcasts already?

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:11 am

sangofe wrote:Hasn't Mike and Meri talked about this in podcasts already?
What did they say? I doubt Vi will release unedited versions now.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:30 am

I purchased both of the Vizbig volumes when they were released.

But I'm on the fence right now, a box set for each would look great, not to mention I do find Vizbig to be a little heavy for my tastes.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:10 pm

Daizenshuu EX on 24 May 2008 wrote:Seriously, Viz? Manga Boxsets, Now?
VegettoEX @ 1:41 am EST -- In addition to all of the shenanigans we have been reporting about for the last week or so, we just got word that Viz is going to be releasing boxsets of both DragonBall ($114.99) and DragonBall Z ($185.95) manga later this year on November 4th.

OK, fine. So you complete the manga's run (after interrupting it and re-releasing/continuing it in a smaller format; listen to Podcast Episode #0097 for full details). Then you decide you're going to do these "VIZ BIG" releases. No problem. Then you're apparently going to do hardcover "Collector's Editions" of the manga, which appear to be of the original style and not the "VIZ BIG" style. Getting a little weird, here. On top of all that, now you're going to do boxsets of that original version?

Seriously?

FUNimation's DVD releases are starting to look normal when put next to Viz and their manga. It's news like this that keeps my head spinning and awake enough to edit a podcast.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

@R!$t!

Post by @R!$t! » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:17 pm

http://www.viz.com/news/newsroom/?id=106

Is it just me? but I get that they will release only the first volume of those series...including DB and DBZ

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:35 pm

@R!$t! wrote:http://www.viz.com/news/newsroom/?id=106

Is it just me? but I get that they will release only the first volume of those series...including DB and DBZ
I dunno, this statement kind of arouses my suspicions.
Viz wrote:These editions are an attractive way to collect, preserve and display these unique and original titles in a way befitting the serious fan.
I suppose it is likely it'll only be the first volume of each. Let's wait and see, though.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:42 pm

@R!$t! wrote:http://www.viz.com/news/newsroom/?id=106

The pat where it says:
larger-sized presentations of much-loved manga series
...kind of leads me to believe that they are going to release each series, but maybe I'm just being hopeful. :?

They did also mention that in the SHONEN JUMP FIFTH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTOR’S EDITION there will be a brand new interview with Akira Toryama!!! Yay!

It also seems like the hardcover collectors editions will all be rated "T " for teen, which for DBZ at least, means that there is a good chance that they will be uncensored! The heavier paper stock and 5 ¾ x 8 ¼ inches size of the collectors editions are great news, maybe these will be reprints of the Kanzenban, down to the color pages too!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:50 pm

Lol, viz loves to toot their own horn. "innovative" they call themselves... innovative in how many ways they can piss me off, that's for sure. >_>
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:54 pm

"So Jim which one of these ideas should we market?"
"Ah fuck it do them all!"
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:54 pm

bkev wrote:Lol, viz loves to toot their own horn. "innovative" they call themselves... innovative in how many ways they can piss me off, that's for sure. >_>
All I know is I'm holding off on getting any more VizBigs; just in case these are better. But I've been saying that for a while.
deviantART
[thread]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:56 pm

I have all of Viz's original versions of the manga; these multiple re-releases are, to borrow the term "redundantly redundant". :?

The only thing I'm interested in now is finding the rest of the Kanzenbans now that my local Kinokuniya no longer stocks them. (I'm about one to two thirds of the way there).

I did try the VizBig for Rurouni Kenshin (though I am still partially-boycotting Viz) and those things are HEAVY. I don't think I could enjoy Dragon Ball in that format.

Only DB things that Viz could possibly put out that I may still get are the Daizenshuu and an uncut version of #42, because renaming Goku and Vegeta's fusion makes me shake my head in dismay. :(
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:00 pm

What's really amazing to me is that between Viz and Funimation, and all their different releases of DB they can't seem to give us a complete "perfect" version.
Trans rights, now!

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:35 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:

They did also mention that in the SHONEN JUMP FIFTH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTOR’S EDITION there will be a brand new interview with Akira Toryama!!! Yay!
I doubt the Toriyama interview will be anything different. He doesn't even pay attention to what goes in Japan, let alone America.
SonEric84 wrote:What's really amazing to me is that between Viz and Funimation, and all their different releases of DB they can't seem to give us a complete "perfect" version.
Does it suprise you how well they do their other series that aren't Dragonball related?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:23 pm

Chuquita wrote: I did try the VizBig for Rurouni Kenshin (though I am still partially-boycotting Viz) and those things are HEAVY. I don't think I could enjoy Dragon Ball in that format.
My thoughts exactly, I purchased both Dragonball Viz big releases, and I am still yet to read through them, because I find the format unwieldy and uncomfortable.

Now I'm going to wait and see whats done with the other releases.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:51 am

Raki wrote:
SonEric84 wrote:What's really amazing to me is that between Viz and Funimation, and all their different releases of DB they can't seem to give us a complete "perfect" version.
Does it suprise you how well they do their other series that aren't Dragonball related?

Well, to be honest, I haven't really seen anything else Funimation has worked on...but I've heard good things. That kind of bugs me even more. :P
Trans rights, now!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:58 am

Raki wrote:
I flipped through all three of the Kenshin VizBigs in the store today... All the color pages are intact (you can tell when something is or is supposed to be). Yet with DBZ, they leave Goku vs Vegeta, perhaps the single most well-known color chapter in the entire manga, in ugly grayscale.

Why, Viz, why? I've had faith in you up until now, but if these "Collector's Editions" of DB and DBZ don't impress me, then I don't know what to think anymore.
deviantART
[thread]

@R!$t!

Post by @R!$t! » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:59 am

So did they actually printed Kenshin Vizbig vol 3 with ALL the color pages??, yay, that's some veeery good news.

And I hope too that these collector editions are for the entire series and not only for the first volume...I don't really get why would you like to have the first volume pretty and the rest ugly :?

If it certainly is the DB Kanzenban...well, I really don't expect it to be uncensored, but the color pages are worth it.

And...I prefer VizBig releases to normal releases, it sure is heavy, but larger size > larger images > better details > happiness, and some of the color pages and for less money...for me it's worth it...Just don't mess the color pages like in the Goku vs Vegeta fight or not having the original covers, that is what I call dissapointing