Were there hard feelings between Linda Young and Funimation after she was recast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Were there hard feelings between Linda Young and Funimation after she was recast?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:59 pm

At first I wanted to make this thread about Linda Young finding work on One Piece recently and wanted to point out I was happy there were no hard feelings between her and Funimation... But then I remembered Funimation doesnt exist anymore. It's Crunchyroll now. Were there hard feelings that didnt dissipate until Funimation was no more or what?
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DB1984
Banned

Re: Were there hard feelings between Linda Young and Funimation after she was recast?

Post by DB1984 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:05 pm

Wonder if Dale Kelly will be part of Crunchyroll? I think he said that he had issues with Funimation, too.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Were there hard feelings between Linda Young and Funimation after she was recast?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:20 pm

Linda Young voiced Baba in Kai and Super after being replaced as Freeza. So, I don't think there were hard feelings. These things happen.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:31 pm

I mean her own son is still on the dub so I doubt it's a big deal. It's a job, that stuff happens.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:59 am

What Jjgp said about Young still voicing Baba in Kai and Super and her son voicing Tenshinhan and being the head ADR writer for Super (and Kai? I can't remember)

But also

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:59 pm .. But then I remembered Funimation doesnt exist anymore. It's Crunchyroll now. Were there hard feelings that didnt dissipate until Funimation was no more or what?
DB1984 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:05 pm Wonder if Dale Kelly will be part of Crunchyroll? I think he said that he had issues with Funimation, too.

Like, guys, the people at Funimation who made these decisions* didn't disappear just because of a company name change. Chris Sabat and Justin Cook and so so and so are all very much around just working for Crunchyroll instead of Funimation

*I guess Barry Watson or Gen Fukanaga could have fired Dale Kelly and they're long gone, but no he's not going to come back just because the company is now called Crunchyroll. His narrative style doesn't work for the approach Funimation/Crunchyroll has been trying to do since 2010.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:19 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:20 pm Linda Young voiced Baba in Kai and Super after being replaced as Freeza. So, I don't think there were hard feelings. These things happen.
Funimation also tried to keep Linda Young as Freeza for Kai, she actually played him in episode 1. Her style of performance didn't fit the way Freeza was portrayed in the Kai dub so it didn't work out. It happens in the workplace all the time, sometimes a task doesn't work out so someone is assigned (in this case reprising) to one better suited to them, which was the case with Young and Baba.

I doubt there's any hard feelings.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:23 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:19 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:20 pm Linda Young voiced Baba in Kai and Super after being replaced as Freeza. So, I don't think there were hard feelings. These things happen.
Funimation also tried to keep Linda Young as Freeza for Kai, she actually played him in episode 1. Her style of performance didn't fit the way Freeza was portrayed in the Kai dub so it didn't work out. It happens in the workplace all the time, sometimes a task doesn't work out so someone is assigned (in this case reprising) to one better suited to them, which was the case with Young and Baba.

I doubt there's any hard feelings.
It really seems like it was a case of them going for a closer more accurate approximation of Ryusei Nakao's take, which is why they went with Chris Ayres in Kai once the character proper appeared beyond that flashback with footage recycled from the Bardock special stuck at the beginning of ep 1, where Linda's voice was used as his laugh was clearly her. Because of course it just didn't work with that fact in mind, so she was one of the legacy VA's from the original in house days who didn't return to the character she was most known for. I honestly felt she was better fit as Baba and Genkai (old) in Yu Yu Hakusho's dub. She was just plain miscast as Freeza, though of course her initial hiring fit with FUNi's mindset back in 1999 of hiring people who could imitate the Ocean Studios cast (with Linda basically doing an impression of Pauline Newstone) but miscast and unfitting for the character overall.

I really don't think there were hard feelings, it seems like she apparently accepted the recasting and understood so it was all good.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:15 pm

I seem to recall hearing that part of why she was recast was that she was genuinely not able to keep up with how verbose Freeza was in the Kai dub. Like, FUNi by their own admission had no idea what kind of character Freeza was supposed to be back in the Ocean days, which was partially down to the absolutely atrocious translations they had been given to work with from Toei, which were barely even English. And so they went for a completely different, more slow and almost snakelike vibe with Pauline Newstone, and Young was able to mimic that kind of performance, but when you get to a more true-to-Toriyama performance where he's talking a million miles a minute and expressing everything in the most eloquent, verbose way possible... She just couldn't keep up. Her age might have also had something to do with that, but I can't really say anything for certain there, one way or the other.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:02 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:15 pm I seem to recall hearing that part of why she was recast was that she was genuinely not able to keep up with how verbose Freeza was in the Kai dub. Like, FUNi by their own admission had no idea what kind of character Freeza was supposed to be back in the Ocean days, which was partially down to the absolutely atrocious translations they had been given to work with from Toei, which were barely even English. And so they went for a completely different, more slow and almost snakelike vibe with Pauline Newstone, and Young was able to mimic that kind of performance, but when you get to a more true-to-Toriyama performance where he's talking a million miles a minute and expressing everything in the most eloquent, verbose way possible... She just couldn't keep up. Her age might have also had something to do with that, but I can't really say anything for certain there, one way or the other.
Yup, that's what Chris Sabat said.
Cold World (Fanfic)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Vegard Aune wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:15 pm I seem to recall hearing that part of why she was recast was that she was genuinely not able to keep up with how verbose Freeza was in the Kai dub. Like, FUNi by their own admission had no idea what kind of character Freeza was supposed to be back in the Ocean days, which was partially down to the absolutely atrocious translations they had been given to work with from Toei, which were barely even English. And so they went for a completely different, more slow and almost snakelike vibe with Pauline Newstone, and Young was able to mimic that kind of performance, but when you get to a more true-to-Toriyama performance where he's talking a million miles a minute and expressing everything in the most eloquent, verbose way possible... She just couldn't keep up. Her age might have also had something to do with that, but I can't really say anything for certain there, one way or the other.
Cold World (Fanfic)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Cold World (Fanfic)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:33 pm

Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:29 pm

I'm glad that we no longer have old lady Freeza voice anymore. She is a decent voice actor, but her voice did not work for Freeza. It sound like she was trying to be like Rita Repulsa or Cruella de Vil. Many fans didn't like her voice and wasn't until the late 2000s when you had people that would defend her voice as Freeza.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:51 pm

She was on Fairy Tail, Nobunagun, and other shows so I would guess that's a no.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:22 pm

Probably not, seeing as she's doing work for them to this day. Like, she was just in the Yu Yu Hakusho OVAs and Chainsaw Man.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:50 am

Most unlikely.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.