In the DB universe what is the difference between ki, presence and aura?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

In the DB universe what is the difference between ki, presence and aura?

Post by Scientist Fu » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:47 pm

Are they similar? I don't know if I'm missing something but I'd be really grateful if someone could enlighten me a bit about it. Thanks!

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Re: In the DB universe what is the difference between ki, presence and aura?

Post by Ronin » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:20 pm

Ki (or chi) is the energy that they use to do things like shoot energy blasts (like a kamehameha), fly, etc. It's where most of the character's strength comes from.

I can't recall "presence" being used that much in Dragon Ball, but it sounds like when they use ki to sense when other people with ki are around. It's similar to the scouters that Frieza's army uses, except they go by feelings instead of number readings and they can also tell if people are good or evil.

An aura in Dragon Ball is more of an aesthetic thing. It's that flaming stuff around them when they're powered up or flying really fast etc.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Re: In the DB universe what is the difference between ki, presence and aura?

Post by Scientist Fu » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:30 am

Ronin wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:20 pm Ki (or chi) is the energy that they use to do things like shoot energy blasts (like a kamehameha), fly, etc. It's where most of the character's strength comes from.

I can't recall "presence" being used that much in Dragon Ball, but it sounds like when they use ki to sense when other people with ki are around. It's similar to the scouters that Frieza's army uses, except they go by feelings instead of number readings and they can also tell if people are good or evil.

An aura in Dragon Ball is more of an aesthetic thing. It's that flaming stuff around them when they're powered up or flying really fast etc.
Oh thank you so much for your explanations! It was used in the french version actually, Krillin told Gohan to remove their "presence" when they were spying on Frieza, Dodoria and Zarbon. That's why I was wondering the difference between ki(chi) and presence. Thank you again