How Would You Have Liked SSJG To Be Improved, If Not As SSJB?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

How Would You Have Liked SSJG To Be Improved, If Not As SSJB?

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:29 am

After looking at fanmade art of a possible SSJG2 and SSJG3, it really has me wondering what they could have done with SSJG as opposed to rendering it obsolete by the very next arc via SSJB? What path would you have preferred SSJG to have gone? Personally, I like the idea of SSJG being mastered in the same way that SSJ was, potentially being a proper explanation as to why Goku & Vegeta could use the form onwards and not having to worry of a time limit. From there, SSJG could've been boosted by learning other facets of what it meant to be a God and then, Goku & Vegeta might have had a more organic pathway to learning Ultra Instinct & Destruction.
What you have liked to see?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How Would You Have Liked SSJG To Be Improved, If Not As SSJB?

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:16 pm

I'd very much liked if they had sticked to the initial idea. Super Saiyan God being a one-time transformation only that once its power is absorbed, we will never have to see it again.

All the Saiyan beyond God concept was great. These characters got stronger and they don't have to transform into a recolor. How good is that? But that would be too good to be true...
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:33 pm

I've talked about this in various "how would you improve DB Super" topics across the internet, but the way I'd have liked to see it work, and plan to actually realize in a hypothetical DBS rewrite someday if I ever manage to relaunch GTR first, is...

Super Saiyan God would be, and remain, the strongest of the new god-forms. Something powerful enough to actually give Beerus a good fight, a 6 to his 10 like in the original movie. But it would only be possible via the ritual, and strictly temporary, with no permanent power-absorption shenanigans happening as a result. It would only pop up a few times throughout this hypothetical rewritten Super, for big climactic fights where circumstances allowed for the ritual.

Then the Super Saiyan Blue form (and perhaps successive others) would be a lower-level substitute of sorts for SS God, the result of Goku and Vegeta training under Whis and learning how to use god-ki on their own, without the SSG ritual handing it to them. The ritual would have given them the "taste" of god-ki they needed for a jump-start, but otherwise they'd be starting from basically the bottom and trying to gradually work their way back up to the "can challenge Beerus" level.

So this way, Super Saiyan God is still introduced first, but it gets to retain some actual meaning and worth in further arcs, with other forms still following it, but never actually supplanting or devaluing it in the process.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:30 am

I'd erase Super Saiyan Blue completely in favor of Super Saiyan God. Every fight that used Blue would've had God instead.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:46 pm

Kaboom wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:33 pm Then the Super Saiyan Blue form (and perhaps successive others) would be a lower-level substitute of sorts for SS God, the result of Goku and Vegeta training under Whis and learning how to use god-ki on their own, without the SSG ritual handing it to them. The ritual would have given them the "taste" of god-ki they needed for a jump-start, but otherwise they'd be starting from basically the bottom and trying to gradually work their way back up to the "can challenge Beerus" level.
I really like this approach. Super Saiyan Blue did looked like that way at first for me, considering how it required two of them to challenge Beerus. But maybe not even Ultra Goku and Ultra Vegeta together can challenge him in the current state of things.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:04 am

Kaboom wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:33 pm I've talked about this in various "how would you improve DB Super" topics across the internet, but the way I'd have liked to see it work, and plan to actually realize in a hypothetical DBS rewrite someday if I ever manage to relaunch GTR first, is...

Super Saiyan God would be, and remain, the strongest of the new god-forms. Something powerful enough to actually give Beerus a good fight, a 6 to his 10 like in the original movie. But it would only be possible via the ritual, and strictly temporary, with no permanent power-absorption shenanigans happening as a result. It would only pop up a few times throughout this hypothetical rewritten Super, for big climactic fights where circumstances allowed for the ritual.

Then the Super Saiyan Blue form (and perhaps successive others) would be a lower-level substitute of sorts for SS God, the result of Goku and Vegeta training under Whis and learning how to use god-ki on their own, without the SSG ritual handing it to them. The ritual would have given them the "taste" of god-ki they needed for a jump-start, but otherwise they'd be starting from basically the bottom and trying to gradually work their way back up to the "can challenge Beerus" level.

So this way, Super Saiyan God is still introduced first, but it gets to retain some actual meaning and worth in further arcs, with other forms still following it, but never actually supplanting or devaluing it in the process.
That's exactly what I thought SSB would be, a form of using SSG lingering power and combining it with Super Saiyan to kinda try to regain that level of power. With the Ultra forms being a step above even SSG, putting Goku and Vegeta square into full GoD territory.

Alas, Toriyama didn't give us that.