Differences in the DBGT Funimation dub between the original single DVDs and the green bricks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Differences in the DBGT Funimation dub between the original single DVDs and the green bricks?

Post by dragonmagico » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:26 am

I knew og dragon ball and z both had a handful of line and voice filter differences between their original DVD releases and their [color] brick relases. But does anyone know if gt had any of those too for it's original DVD run vs the Greek bricks release?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Differences in the DBGT Funimation dub between the original single DVDs and the green bricks?

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:41 am

Did the Blue Bricks actually have any differences between the saga set release?

I know the Dragon Ball wikia claims Man-Wolf had a voice filter removed but uh no he definitely still has it.

I thought it was just Z that had extensive differences

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Re: Differences in the DBGT Funimation dub between the original single DVDs and the green bricks?

Post by dragonmagico » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:45 am

There are line differences and voice filters changed between the sags sets and blue bricks. Such as the robot in the red ribbon cave in the general blue saga having a voice filter. I don't remember all the others off the top of my head though.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:23 pm

I didn't know this stuff. Aside from the original airing of the series in the US, I only really watched the dub once through the DB singles, orange bricks, and GT singles. Despite owning multiple releases, I wouldn't know jack all about the differences that aren't blatant such as video quality, lack of next episode previews (for GT), and updated opening/closings (again for GT).

I don't see why they'd change the audio at all for Dragon Ball or GT, to be honest. It kinda made sense for the orange bricks (and onward) because they redubbed... some... stuff. So, naturally, I would expect a filter to be removed if they are mucking around with the audio anyway. But why the heck would they touch the Dragon Ball or GT audio? I mean, maybe... maybe... maybe it has something to do with the separation of vocals and music to include the original BGM? Seems like a really far reach.