DBS Anime Future

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: DBS Anime Future

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:54 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:50 am
super michael wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:56 am Toei are not capable of coming up with anything good when it comes to writing.
I completely disagree. Toei pulled off all the important/major DBS moments relatively well. Compare UI Goku's anime debut against Jiren to his manga one. They had the same outline from Toriyama, and look how they absolutely nailed it, three times no less (UI Omen vs Jiren, VS Kefla and MUI). Or heck, the entire Hit fight which was such a non-event in the manga.

When it comes to Super, following the manga to a T would be a noticeable downgrade.
I feel like the manga just didn't bother with that because it would be plain impossible to outdo the animation. It happened a lot in the early manga: See how there's little drama when 17 "dies" or how there's no Goku vs Goku Black too, for example. The manga was stuck between "alternate canon" and "promotional material" and it hurt the manga's ability to stand on it's own.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:02 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:34 am
super michael wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:56 am
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:44 pm I really do think that it's time for a complete recasting. I think giving one of the studios' young directors a shot to spearhead a rebooted retelling makes the most sense for the sake of everyone involved.
If they decide to reboot Dragon Ball, I hope it doesn't turn into a disaster like Digimon Adventure Reboot. Toei are not capable of coming up with anything good when it comes to writing.

Dragon Quest Dai Great Adventure turned out good, because they just followed what was written on the manga. That anime puts DBS and Digimon Adventure Reboot to shame.

I don't have much faith in the return of DBS or DB reboot being good. Toei are not good at their job, they have no pride in what they do they only care about cash.

A new animated retelling would also be a great chance to do Dragon Ball without the weird misogyny and sexism. >_>

1BRYAN HIKARI HARTZHEIM expands on this in their paper Pretty Cure and the Magical Girl Media Mix.
If you don't take the misogyny and sexism seriously, like you're supposed to do, it's only pure comedy. I'm quite happy about the first adaptation of Dragon Ball being like it is.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:06 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:02 am
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:34 am
super michael wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:56 am

If they decide to reboot Dragon Ball, I hope it doesn't turn into a disaster like Digimon Adventure Reboot. Toei are not capable of coming up with anything good when it comes to writing.

Dragon Quest Dai Great Adventure turned out good, because they just followed what was written on the manga. That anime puts DBS and Digimon Adventure Reboot to shame.

I don't have much faith in the return of DBS or DB reboot being good. Toei are not good at their job, they have no pride in what they do they only care about cash.

A new animated retelling would also be a great chance to do Dragon Ball without the weird misogyny and sexism. >_>

1BRYAN HIKARI HARTZHEIM expands on this in their paper Pretty Cure and the Magical Girl Media Mix.
If you don't take the misogyny and sexism seriously, like you're supposed to do, it's only pure comedy. I'm quite happy about the first adaptation of Dragon Ball being like it is.
except it's not funny
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:22 pm

The conclusion of the ToP arc in Anime actually works as a conclusion to the whole Super. The ToP arc was a very high stake arc about the fate of entire universes and Goku attained a form that even the Destroyer Gods cannot reach despite millions of years of training. This works as a conclusion to Super, this is the kind of climax that final arc needs. Moro and Granolah arcs are are unnecessary.

I wouldn't mind if new series started right from End of Z and I also wouldn't mind if they simply skipped Moro and Granolah arcs. Like others said, nothing of value would be lost.

Super Hero movie already ignores Moro and Granolah arcs and comes very close to End of Z time.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:10 am

I prefer the anime to continue because the fights and stories were personally executed better in the anime than they were in the manga. Goku & Frieza vs. Jiren in the anime was legitimately one of the most hype moments in the entire series and the manga simply does not compare on that front.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:00 am

capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:53 am
Hulk10 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:59 pm I'm inclined to think that the Dragon Ball Super anime is finished for good. Since the manga is getting very close to the time Goku leaves with Uub.
When it went off the air, people said it was inevitable that it would come back soon. They told me this, with great confidence, because it would make money for Toei.

They were wrong. I think you are right.
Yeah of course I could be wrong. But we will have to wait and see.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:29 pm

Bandai and Toei do want money from selling UE Vegeta. It would be foolish not to adapt the post-TOP manga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:23 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:29 pm Bandai and Toei do want money from selling UE Vegeta. It would be foolish not to adapt the post-TOP manga.
UE Vegeta can be easily introduced after Super Hero. Same for Black Freeza.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:51 pm

It doesn't need to come back from a financial sense. The brand is doing fine with just the movies. games amd SDBH anime (Which btw has been running way longer than Super by now).

Investing in a new anime is exoensive and risky. It could be good and attract new fans. It could also turn off the existing fans that are currently paying for DB stuff.
Why risk it when the cash keeps flowing in?

Still, it is amusing to see people blindly believing so called "leakers" that predict the anime coming back every few months only to move the goalpost because of some excuse.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:45 pm

The anime is going to continue in some form, as either another movie, or the TV series will return, but it's definitely not ending. Also remember an anime can go on almost indefinitely within a small time frame, for example One Piece is over 1000 episodes, but in universe only 3 years have passed since the beginning of the series.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:01 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:12 pm There are two manga arcs they can adapt and reap the profits in from merchandise (new forms, characters, etc.)

Who knows when it'll come back, it will come back
They had an entire movie full of things that could have been commercialized last year and barely released any merch last year. In fact 80% of DBS is still un merched we don't even a proper Kale figure yet people on this very forum said she only existed to "sell toys". It's not a case of them having nothing to commercialize, they have plenty already and chose to do nothing.

Now not to mention the DBS brand is almost completely dead in Japan. All promotions this year have been DBZ related, we went 14 months without a single non SH DBS figure. In fact they even treated SH separately from DBS brand, unlike Broly which they consolidated under DBS 6 months after the films release ie they dropped the movie tag.

Now a year later they decided to commercialize SUPER HERO no one in Japan is interested in figures for Orange Beast or Cell Max. In fact Cell Max and Super Buu released in the same Kuji set back in May and Cell Max's market value is only about ¥7,500 while Super Buu's is ¥17,000, more than double, he was by far the most sought after. That's why this year nearly all the merch has been DBZ related.

The first Orange Piccolo prize figure released in Japan yesterday and only 438 gamestations ordered it vs 1,169 that ordered a One Piece Law figure. Goku and Vegeta aren't fairing better either, a UI Goku released March 2022 and only 200 gamestations ordered him making him one of the lowest ordered DB figures ever.

If DBS ever comes back it won't be because of merch reasons. It's been half a decade of people saying it'll be back and it hasn't. As things stand there is absolutely zero reason for Toei to bring it back.

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:01 pm
Bardock God of Time wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:12 pm There are two manga arcs they can adapt and reap the profits in from merchandise (new forms, characters, etc.)

Who knows when it'll come back, it will come back
They had an entire movie full of things that could have been commercialized last year and barely released any merch last year. In fact 80% of DBS is still un merched we don't even a proper Kale figure yet people on this very forum said she only existed to "sell toys". It's not a case of them having nothing to commercialize, they have plenty already and chose to do nothing.

Now not to mention the DBS brand is almost completely dead in Japan. All promotions this year have been DBZ related, we went 14 months without a single non SH DBS figure. In fact they even treated SH separately from DBS brand, unlike Broly which they consolidated under DBS 6 months after the films release ie they dropped the movie tag.

Now a year later they decided to commercialize SUPER HERO no one in Japan is interested in figures for Orange Beast or Cell Max. In fact Cell Max and Super Buu released in the same Kuji set back in May and Cell Max's market value is only about ¥7,500 while Super Buu's is ¥17,000, more than double, he was by far the most sought after. That's why this year nearly all the merch has been DBZ related.

The first Orange Piccolo prize figure released in Japan yesterday and only 438 gamestations ordered it vs 1,169 that ordered a One Piece Law figure. Goku and Vegeta aren't fairing better either, a UI Goku released March 2022 and only 200 gamestations ordered him making him one of the lowest ordered DB figures ever.

If DBS ever comes back it won't be because of merch reasons. It's been half a decade of people saying it'll be back and it hasn't. As things stand there is absolutely zero reason for Toei to bring it back.
Wow, I wonder if this means DBS is seen as a dent in the franchise by people in Japan even more so than GT.

I believe it was announced a new DBS movie was being worked on so DBS merch can't be completely dead.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:35 pm

PrinceVegetto wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:10 pm Wow, I wonder if this means DBS is seen as a dent in the franchise by people in Japan even more so than GT.
Some people, maybe. Like elsewhere in the world, there's no shortage of opinions in Japan.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:54 pm

Dragon Ball was Toei biggest money maker when the anime was on and Super had good ratings from start to finish, so I think at least the majority of Japanese people may seen it in a good light, obviously not as a perfect series but something they enjoyed even if it had some bad parts.

If this was another series I would be convinced that Toei/Shueisha want it sink and die, but because DB makes them a lot of money, they probably will keep it a float with a movie here and there, but to me it's obvious that they dont care, I always say DB deserves at least some of the love One Piece gets, but I dont expect they to take it away from One Piece, One Piece deserves the love it gets, but Dragon Ball deserves better than 0, like you know, maybe next time spend something other than 0 in the marketing of the new movie, and maybe dont make it in 3D so the Japanese people go wach it.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:03 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:01 pmNow a year later they decided to commercialize SUPER HERO no one in Japan is interested in figures for Orange Beast or Cell Max. In fact Cell Max and Super Buu released in the same Kuji set back in May and Cell Max's market value is only about ¥7,500 while Super Buu's is ¥17,000, more than double, he was by far the most sought after. That's why this year nearly all the merch has been DBZ related.

What's the site that shows these figures? I was curious if it had a ranking based on characters or series.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:32 am

It already got replaced by the longer running SDBH anime.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:14 pm

PrinceVegetto wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:10 pm
Wow, I wonder if this means DBS is seen as a dent in the franchise by people in Japan even more so than GT.

I believe it was announced a new DBS movie was being worked on so DBS merch can't be completely dead.
I can tell you that isn't true. For the most part, GT is forgotten in Japan outside of the Super Saiyan 4s. Most of what people remember about GT over there is from Heroes. This is especially seen in games like Dokkan and Legends that gets very little GT content. Even on polls, all the GT villains ranks the lowest with only Omega being relatively high since he beats Fusion Zamasu.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:48 am

HeroR wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:14 pm
PrinceVegetto wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:10 pm

I can tell you that isn't true. For the most part, GT is forgotten in Japan outside of the Super Saiyan 4s. Most of what people remember about GT over there is from Heroes. This is especially seen in games like Dokkan and Legends that gets very little GT content. Even on polls, all the GT villains ranks the lowest with only Omega being relatively high since he beats Fusion Zamasu.
So that's why the GT anime comic has been running for years in Saikyo Jump. Because it isn't popular and forgotten.
Do you have actual sources for your claims? Other than video game content, since you could easily also point to FighterZ, where the last 2 big characters were GT characters. I'm interested to read how you learned that GT is supposed to be forgotten in Japan.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:17 am

Jord wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:48 am Other than video game content, since you could easily also point to FighterZ, where the last 2 big characters were GT characters.
Not just FighterZ, XV2 had plenty of GT characters DLC and Story mode lately, then you have Kid Goku GT is getting an SH Figuarts release with possibly Pan and Trunks to come next. And the official DB Twitter and Website often post GT content too.

For a 64 episode series, getting this much even after 25+ years after it's run, it's far from forgotten.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:36 am

Jord wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:48 am
So that's why the GT anime comic has been running for years in Saikyo Jump. Because it isn't popular and forgotten.
Do you have actual sources for your claims? Other than video game content, since you could easily also point to FighterZ, where the last 2 big characters were GT characters. I'm interested to read how you learned that GT is supposed to be forgotten in Japan.
FighterZ got three GT character, yet they skipped Super Saiyan 4 Goku to give us a hybrid of GT Goku and Dragon Ball Goku that no one liked because GT fans wanted Super Saiyan 4 and Dragon Ball fans wanted the actual Kid Goku. They brought Baby, but no Omega Shenron, and Baby is honestly half-ass since he has almost no interesting inactions with other characters and almost everyone has generic quotes with him. Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is stupidly popular, so him not being in the base game or at least the first wave of DLC and not coming out until the last DLC pack is actually really weird. Like, how the heck did Videl get in before him? Also keep this in mind, there was no GT characters at all in the base game and it took until DLC pack 2 to get GT Goku, while Super got two characters in the base game.

GT being closed to forgotten in Japan comes from people online who lives in Japan, a lot of Dokkan and Legends people who also dips into Dragon Ball Heroes merch. Outside of the Super Saiyan 4s and to a much lesser extent Omega, you don't find too much GT related stuff. There is also the Dragon Ball Super Card Game where 90% of anything related to GT is actually from Heroes. For the lack of better words, Heroes has been keeping GT alive for at least a decade.

This is also how I learned that the Japanese are honestly not that big on things past the Namek Saga.
Xeogran wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:17 am
Jord wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:48 am Other than video game content, since you could easily also point to FighterZ, where the last 2 big characters were GT characters.
Not just FighterZ, XV2 had plenty of GT characters DLC and Story mode lately, then you have Kid Goku GT is getting an SH Figuarts release with possibly Pan and Trunks to come next. And the official DB Twitter and Website often post GT content too.

For a 64 episode series, getting this much even after 25+ years after it's run, it's far from forgotten.

For Xenoverse, people forget that GT was DLC in the first game: https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Drag ... _Xenoverse, not based game. It was base for Xenoverse 2 since it came with all the DLC characters.

Also, GT is much more popular overseas than in Japan, so naturally it will still get figures, especially since Hereos never took off past Japan. It's very similar to Dragon Ball Kai that got uncanceled because of the international market while it was considered a failure in Japan and the Kai name got scrubbed from marketing. Also why Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' were labelled under Z and not Kai.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.