Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 95 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 95 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:29 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:19 am ^ I agree.

The objective is not to "speed through it because we've already seen it all so who cares?".
The objective is that it's supposed to feel like a natural manga arc for someone who has never seen the movie at all and doesn't plan on seeing it - which also gives us a 2D version of the events while we're at it.

The usual pace of the manga includes chapter(s)-long fights and things that can be explored when you don't have a time constraint of around 90 minutes of animation for a whole arc.
^ I also agree. I mean I was saying this in last month's chapter too; This is a pretty good adaptation of the movie, and I am very much appreciating it. True, it leaves relatively little to talk about in the moment, but like... I want the manga and anime to both tell coherent stories that can be enjoyed on their own without feeling that you've missed something when they just decide to reference a thing that was only shown in another medium. The manga is admittedly stuck with this problem somewhat anyway because *gestures to volume 1-9* but better late than never, really.

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:03 am

I want the manga and anime to both tell coherent stories that can be enjoyed on their own without feeling that you've missed something when they just decide to reference a thing that was only shown in another medium. The manga is admittedly stuck with this problem somewhat anyway because *gestures to volume 1-9* but better late than never, really.
I can see why they didn't adapt previous material like Broly, as they probably wanted for the manga to be ahead and that's what they achieved now. There's no need rush to the next arc, so having like 12 Super Hero chapters (incl. a 3 chapter original prequel) for this year makes sense to me and probably the best time to do so. Most likely a new arc from chapter 100 in December (seems that was the plan all along in combination with the break last year).

I like how Toyotaro adds things here and there building connections, adding extra scenes. Goten and Trunks had the main role at the beginning of the arc, let's see what we get extra when they also join the battle.
Overall, once the arc is completed, it will be a good read.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:05 am

I mean we're saying all this but the manga still skipped Resurrection 'F' and rushed through the Broly film but okay. I guess now's the time to suddenly care about having a complete and coherent manga for some reason.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:45 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:05 am I mean we're saying all this but the manga still skipped Resurrection 'F' and rushed through the Broly film but okay. I guess now's the time to suddenly care about having a complete and coherent manga for some reason.
Like I said...
Vegard Aune wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:29 pm The manga is admittedly stuck with this problem somewhat anyway because *gestures to volume 1-9* but better late than never, really.
And like I said last chapter, I don't think "We didn't do a good job before so why try to do a good job now" is even remotely a good mindset. By that same mindset you might as well say that Toyo shouldn't even try to improve his composition and anatomy and stuff because we're stuck with all the janky art and layouts of the early volumes anyway.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:37 am

Putting aside any gripes about this being known story content, because I do feel that ultimately this is just making good on its own pacing as a manga arc, with the long front porch of the prequel chapters, I'm a little torn on the execution of this chapter in particular.

On the one hand, the original fight content (the two-on-two portions) is some of the best the action has been recently, and I think you can feel an energy to it not always present in the more closely adapted action scenes. On the other hand, it really does feel like how anime filler used to operate--and it's essentially playing the same role--because Piccolo and Gamma 2 still have to be in the position to be alone and have the rest of their movie dialogue afterward, and their conversation plays worse for having been broken up by the team-up action pieces in the middle.

It's fine and fun, but I think the term "manga filler" really does weirdly apply. I suppose the same could be said about all the extra character cutaways too, as we know the story can (and the meat was designed to) work without them. That said, Toyotaro has been careful to integrate Trunks, Goten and Kuririn all in more from the start this time, so I appreciate it doing what it can to at least feel cohesive there.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:05 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:19 am ^ I agree.

The objective is not to "speed through it because we've already seen it all so who cares?".
The objective is that it's supposed to feel like a natural manga arc for someone who has never seen the movie at all and doesn't plan on seeing it - which also gives us a 2D version of the events while we're at it.

The usual pace of the manga includes chapter(s)-long fights and things that can be explored when you don't have a time constraint of around 90 minutes of animation for a whole arc.
But I'd argue that even then, it doesn't really feel like a natural extension of Super (manga) following the end of the Granolah arc and the introduction of Frieza Black. At best this feels like filler.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:27 pm

I mean, it might feel like "filler" right now, but there are obvious ways Toyotaro can make this matter. Simply have Hedo, Gamma 1, Orange Piccolo and/or Gohan Beast play a substantial role in the next arc. And make Broly more of an active participant in the story after his movie already hinted that Freeza still intends to try and manipulate him to his own ends. Like, the setup is there, plain as day. As long as they actually follow up on it, this movie/arc couldn't be considered filler.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:03 pm

I don't think this feels like "manga filler" at all – particularly any of the scenes involving Goten, Trunks, Kuririn, 18, etc., as their inclusion didn't feel justified in the original film since they were clearly just thrown in for (cheap, quite frankly) fanservice. At least here, the climax's fanservice can feel like it has proper setup and weight.

That's not to say I think the manga has succeeded in improving the film on all fronts. Piccolo's initial skirmish with Gamma 2 was still badly paced and didn't really cohere with what the scene was going for.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:21 am

Once again, discussion has died once the actual chapter came out because there is barely anything to discuss. For all the people who want the manga to stand on its own though you can now watch all of DB Super TV the Broly Film and then instead of watching Super Hero you can start reading the manga which allegedly helps it stand on its own.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:03 am

MuscleRobo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:21 am Once again, discussion has died once the actual chapter came out because there is barely anything to discuss. For all the people who want the manga to stand on its own though you can now watch all of DB Super TV the Broly Film and then instead of watching Super Hero you can start reading the manga which allegedly helps it stand on its own.
Perhaps people simply have lives outside of a comic book?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:55 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:03 am
MuscleRobo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:21 am Once again, discussion has died once the actual chapter came out because there is barely anything to discuss. For all the people who want the manga to stand on its own though you can now watch all of DB Super TV the Broly Film and then instead of watching Super Hero you can start reading the manga which allegedly helps it stand on its own.
Perhaps people simply have lives outside of a comic book?
Not me, I'm leaving work early to see Slam Dunk tonight!