dragon ball z Kai nicktoons vs bluray/DVD sound mixing, is one really better than the other?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

dragon ball z Kai nicktoons vs bluray/DVD sound mixing, is one really better than the other?

Post by dragonmagico » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:43 pm

For over a decade now I've seen talk from the fandom of the nicktoons stereo broadcast of Kai having much better sound mixing than the DVDs/blurays and their 5.1 sound tracks. I finally got around to testing for myself over the weekend and comparing the first few episodes. I didn't find anything significantly better or worse on ether one. The thing is thou I have a surround sound system in my theater room. I haven't tried downmixing the 5.1 from the blurays down to stereo like a laptop would so I'm wondering if maybe some people just used REALLY bad media players like vlc to watch and downmix to stereo while watching the DVDs back in the day? Has anyone else compared them in ether 5.1 or stereo set up? I'm open to me just being ok with more meh mixing than others are but I also can see it just being bad down mixing that started the saying too.