"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Omori » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:07 am

Shueisha listed DBS Vol. 21 for August 4th. So we are probably back in the old cycle (Apr/Aug/Dec).
SDBH UGM and Avatars finally also getting new volumes at the same date (last time was in December).
Since both series have many uncollected chapters now, they may release alongside DBS for the next few times as well.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:28 pm

So, no actual differences at this time by the movie and Toyotaro adaptation, I could guess he's taking his time to elaborate better explanations for Orange Piccolo and Beast Gohan (I hope something in the sense why they didn't come up with that in ToP)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:38 am

Noah wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:28 pmI could guess he's taking his time to elaborate better explanations for Orange Piccolo and Beast Gohan (I hope something in the sense why they didn't come up with that in ToP)
I am pretty certain that's not going to happen.

Did Toyo elaborate as to how Dr Hedo was able to build two Blue level androids? Nope :lol:

This adaptation has been 1:1 with the movie except for the Goku and Vegeta scenes and it's going to stay that way.

Toyo even had to ignore his own line about Gohan no longer relying on his super saiyan form to fight.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:46 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:38 am
Noah wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:28 pmI could guess he's taking his time to elaborate better explanations for Orange Piccolo and Beast Gohan (I hope something in the sense why they didn't come up with that in ToP)

Did Toyo elaborate as to how Dr Hedo was able to build two Blue level androids? Nope :lol:

This adaptation has been 1:1 with the movie except for the Goku and Vegeta scenes and it's going to stay that way.

Toyo even had to ignore his own line about Gohan no longer relying on his super saiyan form to fight.
I completely forgot about Gohans line about not using SSJ anymore. Makes that rather awkward.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:29 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:38 am

This was actually a huge mistranslation on vizs part it's been discussed on twitter but the line meant more “as an individual”

Obviously he'll put pride aside and do whatever helps to get his kid back.

In the top he trained with piccolo to get back ultimate, in the super hero he had to get it back mid fight.

I swear manga haters look for plot holes that aren't there
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:47 am

TobyS wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:29 pm This was actually a huge mistranslation on vizs part it's been discussed on twitter but the line meant more “as an individual”
Doesn't matter, Gohan still gives reason for not using super saiyan anymore which is then blatantly contradicted in this movie retelling that nobody asked for or is enjoying.

In the top he trained with piccolo to get back ultimate, in the super hero he had to get it back mid fight.
In the DBS manga Gohan kept in fighting shape passed the TOP and into the Moro arc.

Gohan now having to be out of practice again in the DBS manga is because Toyotarou now has to abandon all the changes he made in the manga continuity of DBS to make it align better with the movie.
You're right I am a manga hater but I don't have to look very hard for plot holes when this glorified fan fiction is written (and drawn) like garbage.

Wasn't it just last month that Toyotarou tried to pass characters like Gas, Moro and Broly as relaxed, zen martial artists who are better skilled than Goku and Vegeta all while contradicting the original source material as well?

The DBS manga is trash and the sooner DBS ends the better :lol:

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:32 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:47 am
TobyS wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:29 pm This was actually a huge mistranslation on vizs part it's been discussed on twitter but the line meant more “as an individual”
Doesn't matter, Gohan still gives reason for not using super saiyan anymore which is then blatantly contradicted in this movie retelling that nobody asked for or is enjoying.

In the DBS manga Gohan kept in fighting shape passed the TOP and into the Moro arc.

Gohan now having to be out of practice again in the DBS manga is because Toyotarou now has to abandon all the changes he made in the manga continuity of DBS to make it align better with the movie.
You're right I am a manga hater but I don't have to look very hard for plot holes when this glorified fan fiction is written (and drawn) like garbage.

Wasn't it just last month that Toyotarou tried to pass characters like Gas, Moro and Broly as relaxed, zen martial artists who are better skilled than Goku and Vegeta all while contradicting the original source material as well?

The DBS manga is trash and the sooner DBS ends the better :lol:
Keep dreaming

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:20 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:47 am

Nah, he doesn't want to *progress* as super saiyan, IE SS3/Blue he wants to go his own route, which he does by getting ultimate back and then beast. It's stupid for Gohan to stop training after Moro a bit enough to need Super Saiyan, but this fucker's done it twice before already.

He had time to train ultimate Back in the TOP and he had more time to train for Moro, he didn't have that luxury in the movie it's not a contradiction whatsoever. He never says to Kefla "and of course I'll literally never use ss1 again, even if it's to save my own kid" you are literally making up trumped up charges it's cringe.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:48 pm

Browsed thru Facebook this morning and saw an ad confirming the full color manga version of Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero is slated for an August release courtesy of Culturecom.
The world is your's.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:40 pm

To be fair, SH Gohan was rusty. He didn’t have the luxury of using whatever form he wanted.

But on the other hand, Gohan was in a similar spot. He had just regained his fighting senses, but somehow goes from his Boo Saga level to SSJB level anyway. Not even the anime ever had a power up this big. And worse of all, Gohan completely fails to get anything close to that vs Moro or the Gammas.

How Gohan unlocks Beast is a turn down for some people. It isn’t for me, but the added context of the manga makes it so.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:31 pm

Whoops...didn't read clearly. The Facebook ad I saw stated that the color manga version of DBS: Super Hero is already out for $80 Hong Kong dollars ($10 USD). My bad!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=VhDh1V
The world is your's.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:40 pm

tinlunlau wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:31 pm Whoops...didn't read clearly. The Facebook ad I saw stated that the color manga version of DBS: Super Hero is already out for $80 Hong Kong dollars ($10 USD). My bad!

Is this possibly just the animanga (comic made up of screenshots from the movie) release? That came out in Japan several months ago.

AndLad92

Post by AndLad92 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:36 pm

It seems that the character on the spine of DBS manga volume 21 is Merus:
http://www.shueisha.co.jp/books/items/c ... 8-883601-0
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:29 am

Cipher wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:40 pm
tinlunlau wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:31 pm Whoops...didn't read clearly. The Facebook ad I saw stated that the color manga version of DBS: Super Hero is already out for $80 Hong Kong dollars ($10 USD). My bad!

Is this possibly just the animanga (comic made up of screenshots from the movie) release? That came out in Japan several months ago.

Yes, it is the animanga. Sad thing is, the movie hasn't been released on BluRay in Hong Kong yet and this is the only legal way to recap the movie.

I checked with yesasia and they have it in stock but they seem to have marked up the price by a lot. I might be going to Hong Kong in September so I think I'm gonna pick this up directly from Hong Kong instead.

https://www.yesasia.com/global/%E9%BE%8 ... /info.html
The world is your's.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:04 pm

Volume 21 extras:

Toyotaro had drawn Goten and Trunks with muscles, but he got corrected. Apparently gor modern Toriyama high schoolers shouldn't have muscles...

Toyotaro being a bad boy rightfully decided to give them muscles on the back cover:

Character designs:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:34 pm

I like the streamlined look for Goten and Trunks. The look cuter without the muscles and especially taking up those poses.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:22 pm

Modern Toriyama's art continues to be awful for Dragon Ball, the way they're standing just looks... weird :lol:

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:09 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:22 pm Image

Modern Toriyama's art continues to be awful for Dragon Ball, the way they're standing just looks... weird :lol:
Goten and Trunks are just comfortable with they sexuality 8).

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:59 am

A rare Toriyama L on the Trunks and Goten corrections, honestly. I think it would have been better to have kept them in sync with the general style Toyotaro's been using, and his original rough seems a bit more dynamic and of a piece with the world. Maybe some of the discomfort in the art I've sensed in the Super Hero chapters comes from attempting to mesh styles like that. Whether or not a Toriyama-drawn arc would look better is another matter (a theoretical Toriyama-helmed Super lives in my head rent free), but with Toyotaro helming the series and giving it his own visual consistency, I think he maybe should have stuck to his guns on the characters' designs and musculature.

Reminds me a bit of the anime using Toriyama's skinner designs for Black and Trunks in Super largely without adaptation, regardless of how well they fit with the design philosophy Yamamuro had already given the series (leading to all that understandable speculation around whether it was significant that Black was noticeably skinnier than Goku, despite the two sharing a body).

More muscular designs for Trunks and Goten in costume would have looked fine too, as we see in the alternate Vol. 21 cover, which I almost wish had been the main one.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:29 am

If somebody told me those are teen Pan and teen Bra dressing up as superheroes, I'd believe it.