Was Freeza made to be THAT strong in early DBZ to give the Super Saiyan legend a real meaning?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Was Freeza made to be THAT strong in early DBZ to give the Super Saiyan legend a real meaning?

Post by peterx » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:50 am

Was Freeza made to be THAT strong in early DBZ to give the Super Saiyan legend a real meaning, to showcase how powerful is that comparing everything else before it or it's just a coincidence? Like make Freeza a very VERY fearful opponent?

Could he have been weaker like around 300-400.000 power level at MAX (final form) and have the same effect to the story/viewer? I think he was way too overpowered with around ~1-10 million PL at that time, and would have given more room for future villains if he was weaker a "bit".. what do you think?

OR Toriyama just wanted to go out with a bang and end DBZ with Freeza, so he had given him every power thats "possible"? :lol:

coola
I Live Here

Re: Was Freeza made to be THAT strong in early DBZ to give the Super Saiyan legend a real meaning?

Post by coola » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:50 pm

I'd say the last part is the best one :) From beginning Freeza was hyped to be this "ultimate evil", "stay away from Freeza, do not even think about fighting him!" later when Freeza just used 50%, even Piccolo, who was so eager to fight Freeza, said "Kaio-sama was right, never try fighting Freeza..." even Vegeta was extremely cautious, not sure if even immortality could help against Freeza...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Was Freeza made to be THAT strong in early DBZ to give the Super Saiyan legend a real meaning?

Post by theherodjl » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:40 pm

I'm fairly certain that even Toriyama didn't know how strong Freeza or the Super Saiyan of legend were supposed to be. The only hint of things to come with Freeza's true power was Zarbon mentioning that Freeza could also transform, but no specifics were made and it just got dropped by Freeza himself as the fight went along; Freeza revealing that he wasn't yet using his final form or maximum power until Goku became a SSJ. Toriyama's opinion at the time was that SSJ was closer to a x10 boost for Goku, meaning that Freeza's power would have had to drop a large amount from getting hit by the Genki Dama. However, that would also mean that SSJ is actually weaker than Freeza's maximum power. Yet, SSJ Goku still came out on top with his PL being higher than Freeza's as depicted in the Daizenshuu.
I don't think Freeza was ever meant to be as strong as he ended up being, it just snowballed into Freeza needing to remain stronger to keep the tension going. For better or worse, it broke the PL system and allowed for more villains to appear with stronger forms.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:23 am

theherodjl wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:40 pm I'm fairly certain that even Toriyama didn't know how strong Freeza or the Super Saiyan of legend were supposed to be. The only hint of things to come with Freeza's true power was Zarbon mentioning that Freeza could also transform, but no specifics were made and it just got dropped by Freeza himself as the fight went along; Freeza revealing that he wasn't yet using his final form or maximum power until Goku became a SSJ. Toriyama's opinion at the time was that SSJ was closer to a x10 boost for Goku, meaning that Freeza's power would have had to drop a large amount from getting hit by the Genki Dama. However, that would also mean that SSJ is actually weaker than Freeza's maximum power. Yet, SSJ Goku still came out on top with his PL being higher than Freeza's as depicted in the Daizenshuu.
I don't think Freeza was ever meant to be as strong as he ended up being, it just snowballed into Freeza needing to remain stronger to keep the tension going. For better or worse, it broke the PL system and allowed for more villains to appear with stronger forms.
I love this post because I do wish it wasnt that obvious that Super Saiyan can just steamroll. It would have have been better if Goku won due to all the prior battles weakening Freeza instead of "Super Saiyan makes my kung fu stronger than yours!"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:46 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:23 am It would have have been better if Goku won due to all the prior battles weakening Freeza instead of "Super Saiyan makes my kung fu stronger than yours!"
That should be a thing anyway though? I mean what exactly was Frieza's 100% form? He was at his absolute full power? Impossible. It would mean everything that happened before that, every injury he had from Goku or others, was basically gone. Maybe reaching new forms healed him somehow, but we don't know that, but 100% form wasn't really a transformation anyway. Frieza reaching "100%" had to mean he just took a form that allows him to use all the power he currently has. And Goku didn't magically heal by reaching SSJ either. We never really saw Goku SSJ vs Frieza at their full power. Both were exhausted and beaten upon reaching these forms.

Something similiar happened only once i believe and it was Goku SSJ4 vs Baby Oozaru, as both reached those forms after beaing beaten heavily so neither fought at full power as i don't remember Oozaru restoring power and healing wounds. But later in fight they both got their powers restored and could fight at full strength so it was easier to tell actual difference in power. In case of Goku vs Frieza we never had it though. RoF movie was the first time we saw them fight with everything they got at that point.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:33 am

Toriyama didn't care to scale his manga alongside the power level system he created which resulted in numbers getting ridiculously big. If you look at Frieza and namek without power levels it isn't that bad even with Kkx20.

Once you introduce the numbers it gets crazy.

Kaioken is another problem because if SS was going to be 10x and based on the Saiyan saga Kaioken could have been capped at 5x.

Ginyu, Kaioken and Frieza raised the power levels a lot and if they were controlled you can controll the levels.

Goku 60k
Max kaioken 300k

Ginyu: 85k

Frieza: 300k
Second form 500k
Third form 750k

True from 1m
50% 4.75m
100% 9.5m

Goku healed 1m
Max kaioken 5m
Super saiyan 10m