What if Masako Nozawa dies? (God forbid)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: What if Masako Nozawa dies? (God forbid)

Post by Jord » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:16 am

Don't want to bring the topic down but the new Kakarot DLC has Nozawa both as young and adult Goku and well....
(From my DBZ: Kakarot post)

Masaka Nozawa sounds very tired as Goku. Especially young Goku. The performance lacks the energy we've heard before. Now I know she's not as young as she was before and her performance during Super probably was already a small step down from GT and the video games but this is the first time it's really noticeable to me.

Let's hope it's just this DLC and that her performance will improve again. This was tough to listen to.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:38 pm

I could see Rika Matsumoto, Megumi Ogata and Romi Park being good replacements.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:31 am 639 episodes (not counting a 167 episode recut of the most popular series)

21 movies

3 tv specials

Some Yu-gi-oh esque advertainment...thing

A buttload of video games

Please tell me why this franchise needs to go on even before she dies?

"What if Masako Nozawa dies!?"

Hopefully the franchise is finally laid to rest before that happens
Agreed. Nozawa said in an interview that she hoped to record 700 episodes of Super. A midquel to a series that ended in 1995 doesn't need 700 episodes.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:15 pm

Jord wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:16 am Don't want to bring the topic down but the new Kakarot DLC has Nozawa both as young and adult Goku and well....

Masaka Nozawa sounds very tired as Goku. Especially young Goku. The performance lacks the energy we've heard before. Now I know she's not as young as she was before and her performance during Super probably was already a small step down from GT and the video games but this is the first time it's really noticeable to me.

Let's hope it's just this DLC and that her performance will improve again. This was tough to listen to.
I haven't checked the dlc for reference, but she sounds great to me as adult Goku, Gohan, and older Goten. (At least she did in Super Hero) I think the problem is that she can't do the child voices anymore. I played I think the opening level to Kakarot and it sounded like she was straining to voice kid Gohan. Also in the few episodes of Super where Goten actually spoke the voice sounded a bit strained. It could just be age catching up, but the fact that she can still scream like she did in the Super Broli movie while showing no signs of fatigue is impressive.
I think more people were critical of Ryo Horikawa's output over the past 10+ years than Nozawa's, and there's a roughly 11 year age difference between them.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:39 pm

There’s either an understudy ready to replace her when she no longer can voice act, or they’ve already locked in another VA to take over for Nozawa.

There is no way that this conversation has not happened behind closed doors.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:40 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:15 pm
Jord wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:16 am Don't want to bring the topic down but the new Kakarot DLC has Nozawa both as young and adult Goku and well....

I haven't checked the dlc for reference, but she sounds great to me as adult Goku, Gohan, and older Goten. (At least she did in Super Hero) I think the problem is that she can't do the child voices anymore. I played I think the opening level to Kakarot and it sounded like she was straining to voice kid Gohan. Also in the few episodes of Super where Goten actually spoke the voice sounded a bit strained. It could just be age catching up, but the fact that she can still scream like she did in the Super Broli movie while showing no signs of fatigue is impressive.
I think more people were critical of Ryo Horikawa's output over the past 10+ years than Nozawa's, and there's a roughly 11 year age difference between them.
Yeah, you nailed it. She sounds strained when doing the child voices (and sometimes when attempting the high pitches of Goku etc) as well. I think she still has a lot of power in her voice but her dynamic range seems to be diminishing a bit, which is a shame. Either Goten/Kid Goku/Kid Gohan will sound a bit odd or she has to lower her pitch a bit. Don't think they will get another VA for just the kid parts.
kemuri07 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:39 pm There’s either an understudy ready to replace her when she no longer can voice act, or they’ve already locked in another VA to take over for Nozawa.

There is no way that this conversation has not happened behind closed doors.
It's a business in the first place. I would think all of the major VA's would have an understudy.
Problem with DB's recasting is that the quality of the replacement is all over the place.
Bulma's new VA is very good, the narrator's VA is okay, while Satan's replacements have been average at best. You really notice the character sounds different, which is the last thing you'd want.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:32 pm

Jord wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:16 am Masako Nozawa sounds very tired as Goku. Especially young Goku. The performance lacks the energy we've heard before. Now I know she's not as young as she was before and her performance during Super probably was already a small step down from GT and the video games but this is the first time it's really noticeable to me.
She’s like Marge Simpsons voice in the sense that she no longer can do kid goku she sounds like adult goku now.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:38 pm

Jord wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:40 am
BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:15 pm
Jord wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:16 am I haven't checked the dlc for reference, but she sounds great to me as adult Goku, Gohan, and older Goten. (At least she did in Super Hero) I think the problem is that she can't do the child voices anymore. I played I think the opening level to Kakarot and it sounded like she was straining to voice kid Gohan. Also in the few episodes of Super where Goten actually spoke the voice sounded a bit strained. It could just be age catching up, but the fact that she can still scream like she did in the Super Broli movie while showing no signs of fatigue is impressive.
Ryo horikawa saddens me he can no longer do vegeta the way he did in z and gt

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:49 am

Horikawa has been known to smoke, so I think it's sadly catching up with him.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:14 am

supersaiyamangod wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:32 pm
Jord wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:16 am Masako Nozawa sounds very tired as Goku. Especially young Goku. The performance lacks the energy we've heard before. Now I know she's not as young as she was before and her performance during Super probably was already a small step down from GT and the video games but this is the first time it's really noticeable to me.
She’s like Marge Simpsons voice in the sense that she no longer can do kid goku she sounds like adult goku now.
I wouldn't exactly call her Marge Simpson yet. Marge's Simpson's voice actress, Julie Kavner sounds like her voice is completely shot.

For context for the others:
Here is the Kakarot DLC
https://youtu.be/U-g12_SfYKI?t=518

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:43 pm

Jord wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:14 am
supersaiyamangod wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:32 pm
I wouldn't exactly call her Marge Simpson yet. Marge's Simpson's voice actress, Julie Kavner sounds like her voice is completely shot.

For context for the others:
Here is the Kakarot DLC
https://youtu.be/U-g12_SfYKI?t=518
I watched some of that gameplay and she still sounds in strong form to me. Obviously not in as strong form as in her younger days, but she can still bring it as kid Goku. Maybe that's because it's of 15 year old Goku and not 4 year old Gohan or 7 year old Goten. It can still sound strained at times, but there she sounded fine to me.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:24 pm

DB1984 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:49 am Horikawa has been known to smoke, so I think it's sadly catching up with him.
Honestly, Horikawa hasn't sounded great as Vegeta since like, the late Cell arc to me ? Not that his voice was strained then, but it got a bit deeper and somewhat gruff, and lost a lot of the edge that made his Saiyan arc performance so good to me. It's sadly gotten worse since then.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:06 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:38 pm I could see Rika Matsumoto, Megumi Ogata and Romi Park being good replacements.
I've seen Megumi Ogata and Romi Park, the anime shows and characters they've worked in. I don't think they would fit Goku IMO. They won't capture Goku's playfulness, cheerfulness, or energetic personality.

I'd say Yumiru Hanamori. She has the quality in her voice acting to do Goku. The only problem is that the people who make the choices in picking the voice actors go with those who have been in the business for a real long time who are well established.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:57 am

There's a number of variables that the producers will have to consider when the Son family men are no longer able to be voiced by her.

What future products are scheduled?
Have they already been looking for a replacement?
How long with they wait before continuing productions?

Finding a replacement really isn't that hard, but finding one the competent enough to pick up each role and perform each close to the same level, might take time and experience.

A.I. is definitely an option to consider. The tech is here and will only improve. The only hurdle is whether people will accept it.

One other solution that many don't consider, and even more might abhor, is remaking the series. Plenty of anime have had their story told and retold. Redoing the series from the beginning has the benefit of not having completely trying to compare voices between two actors in the same way that having one take over for another would.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:13 am

There a clip of Kid Goku from the new game? It makes me wonder about the new Anime coming out.

That said, I wonder what her thoughts are on AI? With DC doing a crisis on infinant earths for their animated movies, it will be interesting to see how they deal with the absence of Kevin Conroy. On one end I can see them using a sound alike but I also wonder if Kevin Conroy (or his estate) approved using AI, in the same way James Earl Jones approved of AI for Darth Vader, given the legacy connected to their characters voices.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:05 pm

AI is scary AF. Bill Gates says he wants it to succeed (he says "The age of AI has begun"). I don't.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:26 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:57 am There's a number of variables that the producers will have to consider when the Son family men are no longer able to be voiced by her.

What future products are scheduled?
Have they already been looking for a replacement?
How long with they wait before continuing productions?

Finding a replacement really isn't that hard, but finding one the competent enough to pick up each role and perform each close to the same level, might take time and experience.
I think it’s time for whoever voices the Son family after Nozawa, the roles should be split.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:43 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:54 pm The Lupin the 3rd series was able to move on after Yasuo Yamada and Kiyoshi Kobayashi passed away. Dragon Ball would do the same thing too.
Replaced rather seamlessly too. The new people sound almost identical.

There's that old saying that "the show must go on." A series this massive and with this much international appeal wouldn't be stopped by a voice actor being replaced. Masako likely has an understudy anyway too.