Not counting the Path to Power Movie...

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Not counting the Path to Power Movie...

Post by DB1984 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:58 pm

...GT only had 90-something music cues at Akihito Tokunaga's disposal. About a dozen of cues, they didn't get around to using until towards the end of the run. That means Tokunaga only did two recording sessions for the show.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Not counting the Path to Power Movie...

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:51 am

Wait? Sorry, but where did you get the info that Tokunaga scored twice for GT? I thought all the tracks in that show were made for a single score composed during the production of the very first episodes, I'm confused.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:27 pm

It was an estimated guess, based on how they continued to use his older cues well into the end of the show's run, and some cues, they didn't get around to using until that time. I don't think he did just eleven for the show after the movie was released.

Didn't Kikuchi compose 100 or so tracks in his first session with the franchise?

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:34 pm

It's impossible to know (in Tokunaga's case), some of his tracks used very early in the show don't even return for the next 2 sagas (3 if you consider the Baby and the Black Star Dragon Balls as separate sagas), and the ones that they kept using just return over and over again for every single episode, and let's not forget, the possibility that there might be cues he composed that ended up not being used in the show at all

Reminder that there are a few officially released Kikuchi tracks that were never used in both DB & Z's TV Series and Movies (and the same even happened with few cues from Kai and Super), so we can definitely assume that we don't know much about Tokunaga's work in GT.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.