What would you say are the most "complete/independent" Dragon Ball-productions?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

What would you say are the most "complete/independent" Dragon Ball-productions?

Post by songohan619 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:24 am

So, long story short: I want to show my friends something Dragon Ball-related, a movie, a tv-special, or some episodes, and I want them to feel like they get a complete story, even if they don't watch any more DB afterwards. What would you recommend? I was wondering if I should maybe show them the Trunks-special, or the 10th anniversary DB-movie (Path To Power). Thoughts? It should not be longer than a movie.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What would you say are the most "complete/independent" Dragon Ball-productions?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:17 am

songohan619 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:24 am So, long story short: I want to show my friends something Dragon Ball-related, a movie, a tv-special, or some episodes, and I want them to feel like they get a complete story, even if they don't watch any more DB afterwards. What would you recommend? I was wondering if I should maybe show them the Trunks-special, or the 10th anniversary DB-movie (Path To Power). Thoughts? It should not be longer than a movie.
Dragon Ball Curse Of The Blood Rubies? That's the first movie?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: What would you say are the most "complete/independent" Dragon Ball-productions?

Post by Yuji » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:55 am

The two TV specials are good introductory points but I feel they can only hit if you're already invested in the universe.

The first DB movie or Path to Power are essentially retellings so they should be a decent starting point. I'd probably recommend Path to Power since it's the superior movie and it's also visually much more in-line with how the series would look afterwards.

I'd say Broly is also a decent movie since it provides a backstory on its own and it provides nonstop action, so people will immediately know if the series is for them or not.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:38 am

Curse of the Blood Rubies or Path to Power. Dead Zone if you want to show them something with the Z name.

The Trunks and Bardock specials are terrible first entry points tbh

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:22 pm

Not a lot of good options but the Path to Power movie is by far the best choice of them all.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:32 pm

Well, the first episode of Kai kind of sums up Dragon Ball. Even if Goku did marry his childhood sweetheart... It also kind of goes right into the whole "You're a Saiyan" thing.

Otherwise, "Path to Power" is a nice one. It's really hard to condense so much in so little. The first episode of Super also does the trick, though I guess.