DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:34 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:53 pm Have you ever heard someone say, "I can only watch One Piece if it's the 4kids version," or "4kids One Piece is better then the original." 4kids had no lasting impact on how the show is now unlike DBZA that is still to this day being compared to the original show like it was a legitimate alternative dub.
No. I've never heard someone say that. That's because the 4Kids dub of One Piece is so notoriously bad that no one unironically likes it or reveres it to the same degree as the original. The amount of cut content, censorship, dialogue changes, & other things that caused serious plot holes & made it a mockery to the point where it even damaged 4Kids' already spotty reputation for dubbing anime saw to that. The 4Kids dub of One Piece was also meant to be the official way people in the English speaking world absorbed the anime's content because Toei gave it to them to specifically get it out on TV rather than give it to a company who could actually produce a good, faithful dub because they really wanted to increase One Piece's popularity outside of Japan & didn't care who they got to do it. Toei approved everything 4Kids did to get the show on TV.

DBZA is a fan project produced outside of Toei's control. It was done by a group of fans who recut & parodied the original material with their own scripts, voice acting, & editing. It is meant to be viewed separately from the original material rather than as a replacement for it. The reason some people do that is because of the quality of the voice acting & the scripts for it. TFS don't claim it to be a dub & view it as the parody they intended it to be. As for how certain people view Abridged, this is a very loud vocal minority. Most people who watch DBZA acknowledge it as a parody. Personally, I believe TFS did some things better than it was originally, like how Cell's backstory was revealed slowly over time rather than right when he shows up & the constant lampshading of the stupider things that happen. However, there are moments that I think they overplayed it, like Gohan's character arc that they didn't even finish, or the end of Cell & the unneeded added aesop that they tacked on to it about pacifism that made no sense for Gohan's characterization. IMO, despite its problems, DBZA is still a fun watch & I still like it.

However, what are its long-lasting effects on the franchise? Outside of those who wrongly see it as a legit alternative dub, nothing they've done has had that much of an impact on the official materials. I compare Goku from Super to the one from DBZA, but that's just because they're flanderized in very similar ways, only for DBZA it's consistent with the rest of the show whereas Super, it's because the writers had no idea how to write Goku correctly outside of battle most of the time. However, it really has never had a significant impact on it outside of more people joking or criticizing the original material more, which was happening anyways as the fandom grew over time & even now, we see more fans feeling free to go against popular opinions like Mistare Fusion. TFS was just coming about as the fandom was reforming itself & more people were coming into it, so they had more of a reach because of it. However, Toei has largely ignored them because they hate them. What I think you're meaning is TFS' effect on the fandom rather than the franchise itself. Your complaint is with a vocal minority of fans who think these things as opposed to the franchise itself.
Fizzer wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:13 pm I actually think DBZA was fantastic for Dragon Ball and fed into its continued popularity quite a lot. Yeah, some people have bad opinions because they took it too seriously, but that's not damage. A lot of people came back into the franchise - or into it in the first place - because of TFS. DBZA definitely grew my love of the world and characters of Dragon Ball with it's refreshing alternative take, even if I was a big fan before that.

I'd love, love, love for them to announce Season 4 at the end of the commentary, but I don't think they will. I don't think they want to, and they should only do it if their hearts are in it. I think they'd be more likely to remake season 1, but that's not likely either. They're focusing on original content now.
I mean, I can see people getting into the franchise because of TFS, but I think people give them a bit too much credit with the continued popularity of the franchise. When I heard Totally Not Mark say that TFS were responsible for keeping DB popular when it was off the air & no new material was being produced, I think that's hyper fanboyism & a romanticization of the time. TFS started DBZA in mid-2008. Almost a year later, Toei begins airing DBZ Kai, which FUNimation dubbed a year after that & those continued for 2 years. In 2013, Battle of Gods came out in Japan & a year later in the US. 2015, Res F came out. Later that year, Super & Kai: TFC when the English dub started airing. In 2018/19, Super Broly. If anything, their popularity was boosted by the new entries into the franchise & they capitalized on them at times.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:28 am

I would rather have a failed unpopular official project that can easily be swep under the rug and forgotten then a memorable popular parody that can damage the perception of a show. The fact that you can even say the abridged did something better then the original is one off the things I'm talking about. Aquamans character suffered a lot from jokes and parodies. Luckily the abridged wasn't on TV because the damage would have been just as worst as Aquaman. And yes, my complain is with the fandom in the west, i forgot too clarify that lol. Imo Dragon Ball in the west would have been better off without DBZA existing. I still enjoy the show but i would not be sad if Toei did they "thing" and it was gone forever.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:34 am

This has been said countless times over, but I can't believe that anyone could legitimately believe Abridged has caused any substantial, long-lasting impact to the brand...

...the way the actual official English localization and production has demonstrably (negatively) done so for decades on end, affecting not just "our country," but to the product released worldwide.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:11 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:28 am I would rather have a failed unpopular official project that can easily be swept under the rug and forgotten than a memorable popular parody that can damage the perception of a show. The fact that you can even say the abridged did something better than the original is one of the things I'm talking about. Aquaman's character suffered a lot from jokes and parodies. Luckily the abridged wasn't on TV because the damage would have been just as worst as Aquaman. And yes, my complain is with the fandom in the west, I forgot to clarify that lol. Imo Dragon Ball in the west would have been better off without DBZA existing. I still enjoy the show, but I would not be sad if Toei did the "thing" and it was gone forever.
I mean, Dragon Ball as written by Toriyama isn't perfect. In fact, far from it. The fact that a small group of fans wrote a parody with things in it that are different & better than the original material is only indicative of that. The Z portion of the series, especially the last 2 story arcs, are rife with problems & things are subjective as to whether people think they worked better or not, but I see it as if Toei re-adapted the DB manga into a new anime series & changed the story around to have the same shit. I mean, the original anime adaptations of the manga made changes too from it that could be considered better than how Toriyama did them. It's not bad, it's just different & it's up to the viewer to determine what's better for them.
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:34 am This has been said countless times over, but I can't believe that anyone could legitimately believe Abridged has caused any substantial, long-lasting impact to the brand...

...the way the actual official English localization and production has demonstrably (negatively) done so for decades on end, affecting not just "our country," but to the product released worldwide.
Agreed. Between the shit Z dub, the terrible home releases for Z, etc. The official product has done more to damage the brand than Abridged could ever. At least Abridged has never been expected to be taken as the official product & you can just ignore it if you don't like it.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:28 am

Scsigs wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:11 am I mean, Dragon Ball as written by Toriyama isn't perfect. In fact, far from it.
Yeah, some of the things that feel most like "brand damage" to me, in terms of wanting to rewatch the series or introduce others to it, are Toriyama's work. The hentai-scenario sex gags in the early parts of the series especially. A lot of them land well and are genuinely funny, but some veer into pure cringe-inducing and are really not where the series ended up going overall, but the franchise is stuck with them.

More than wishing that, for example, the worst dubisms never happened, I wish I didn't have to be like "there's some really cringe sexual stuff in the first episodes but I promise it chills out quickly and isn't really that kind of series I swear".

(And starting with Z is of course unthinkable)

Marty Kirra
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marty Kirra » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:08 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:34 am This has been said countless times over, but I can't believe that anyone could legitimately believe Abridged has caused any substantial, long-lasting impact to the brand...

These can both be true though. DBZA's popularity spread pretty far outside of the "core" Dragon Ball fanbase. I've personally had a ton of encounters with people (who've only had a tangential interest in Dragon Ball initially) say that watching Abridged is the best way to watch the show. DBZA-isms have permeated a lot of the casual conversations in Dragon Ball circles. Especially with a majority of DBZA being a semi-serious dub with a lot of humor and contemporary references put in the mix. Whether or not you view that as a negative is entirely up to you of course, but I don't see why these two can't be true in varying degrees of impactfulness.

We're in an age where fans have relatively easy access to not only the official Japanese version/materials but accurate information in general. Of course, you'll always see the usual decades-old misconceptions and dubisms. But saying you can't believe that a modern audience (who grew up in the heyday of YouTube and the advent of online streaming media) combined with an insanely popular, long-running parody that absolutely reached outside of the core "DB fandom", couldn't have possibly caused any substantial, long-lasting impact to the brand, seems a bit close-minded.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:27 pm

The real difference is the scope of impact.

DBZA influenced the fandom on a community discourse level.

One Piece's 4Kids dub influenced the actual product itself on a financial level.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:51 pm

Right, the scope and type of impact is largely what I'm referring to, and I apologize for not making that as crystal clear as possible.

Obviously lots of people "talk about" Abridged. There are quotes thrown about. People like it, dislike it, share those thoughts, etc. It's popular. Clearly.

But it's had zero impact on the actual production and shaping of the franchise as a whole.

Actually, that's not entirely true: I'd argue that nonsense like "I hate the media!" from Nappa in Kai was an Abridged-style joke, perhaps intending to specifically allude to and yank its style of humor.

There's also the TFS voice appearances in the Xenoverse games, but beyond that one character (and was it just in the first game?) getting joke lines... did it really impact anything?

And whatever that impact is, it's still FUNimation the entire time that was putting it in practice, thus leading back to and reinforcing my original point: it's that production (and those people) that had the actual, tangible, visible, audible impact on the franchise.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:18 pm

While there is no proof and it's merely an assumption on my part, I wouldn't be surprised if the translation of Cell's dialogue in FighterZ was inspired by TFS. In general, a lot of characters' dialogue in that game was changed to be more quippy.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:14 pm

Marty Kirra wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:08 pm
These can both be true though. DBZA's popularity spread pretty far outside of the "core" Dragon Ball fanbase. I've personally had a ton of encounters with people (who've only had a tangential interest in Dragon Ball initially) say that watching Abridged is the best way to watch the show. DBZA-isms have permeated a lot of the casual conversations in Dragon Ball circles. Especially with a majority of DBZA being a semi-serious dub with a lot of humor and contemporary references put in the mix. Whether or not you view that as a negative is entirely up to you of course, but I don't see why these two can't be true in varying degrees of impactfulness.

We're in an age where fans have relatively easy access to not only the official Japanese version/materials but accurate information in general. Of course, you'll always see the usual decades-old misconceptions and dubisms. But saying you can't believe that a modern audience (who grew up in the heyday of YouTube and the advent of online streaming media) combined with an insanely popular, long-running parody that absolutely reached outside of the core "DB fandom", couldn't have possibly caused any substantial, long-lasting impact to the brand, seems a bit close-minded.
The claim was that DBZA harmed the overall franchise, mainly the fandom. It has had an impact on the main franchise, but I don't think it's negative, or too big overall. The only way it's negative is if you count the people who think it's the definitive way to watch DB & absorb the material rather than acknowledge it as the parody it was intended to be.
I don't think DBZA is that serious most of the time. It has serious moments, yes, but it's largely comedic in tone. IMO, some of the more serious moments towards the end of it are really cringe, mainly the tacking on of an aesop about pacifism that felt incredibly forced. However, some of the other serious moments are ok.
VegettoEX wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:51 pm Actually, that's not entirely true: I'd argue that nonsense like "I hate the media!" from Nappa in Kai was an Abridged-style joke, perhaps intending to specifically allude to and yank its style of humor.

There's also the TFS voice appearances in the Xenoverse games, but beyond that one character (and was it just in the first game?) getting joke lines... did it really impact anything?
Chris Sabat & some of the other cast members of the official DB dubs are pretty big fans of DBZA. Sabat in particular is incredibly supportive & has played some minor characters in DBZA here & there. It's very likely that line in Kai was meant to be a reference to DBZA, yes. Kyle Hebert also played Santa in Christmas Tree of Might & has voiced his support for them.

Xenoverse 2 brought back Taka's Nappa voice for the CaC & Lani & Kaiser also provided voices for 2 of the other CaC voices in English. Not to mention Sabat tried to sneak Taka, Lani, Kaiser, & MasakoX into the dub of Kai: The Final Chapters (after Kaiser played a minor character in Res F).

Outside of these things, I don't know if DBZA has had a huge effect on the official products. Toei doesn't like TFS, or DBZA, so they try to keep a good distance between them. Granted, Toei can fuck up the franchise themselves pretty well if most of Super's production history has anything to say about it.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:12 am

I've been meaning to ask, how exactly are the 'Buu Bits' going to distributed? Also, how long will they be?

Like, will they be shorts (like the Super shorts from a few years ago) or will the bits be respectably long enough that one could compile them into a mini-movie that covers the important aspects of Majin Buu?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:28 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:12 am I've been meaning to ask, how exactly are the 'Buu Bits' going to distributed? Also, how long will they be?

Like, will they be shorts (like the Super shorts from a few years ago) or will the bits be respectably long enough that one could compile them into a mini-movie that covers the important aspects of Majin Buu?
We don't know yet. Going off the preview clip, maybe a minute or 2 each at least, but we'll see. It'll probably vary depending on each clip. I imagine they'll also be the highlights. As for if they'll get compiled, I don't know. I think doing a few movies would be cool for them to get through the arc if they were to do more than just the bits.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:30 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:28 pm I think doing a few movies would be cool for them to get through the arc if they were to do more than just the bits.
Great Saiyaman the Movie would be brilliant. They could work magic with that and not necessarily commit to the whole thing.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:11 pm

Dragon Ball Z: The Ultimate Review (ft. Team Four Star) - The Buu Saga (Pt. 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJizHx9G3uQ

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:33 pm

Dragonball Z Abridged Creator Commentary | Episode 52
https://youtu.be/TkwjUuONklw?si=J4-I-iT4SXRgtmjQ

Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged | Episode 11 Commentary
https://youtu.be/R-ivbtzqDfM?si=snmt-HMcjt5SRmwq

Dragon Ball Z: The Ultimate Review (ft. Team Four Star) - The Buu Saga (Pt. 1)
https://youtu.be/YJizHx9G3uQ?si=HDgPdK_2mGuhFFPM

First Day of School | Buu Bits
https://youtube.com/shorts/m_teDmk5QxE? ... iUhWl0z5BQ

Also, TFS have started playing the newest Kakarot DLC.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... i3mZ9rqCxy

I gotta say, I don't know what Mark's had done to the footage, but it looks WEIRD to see the anime footage like it is here. It's not exactly like Kai, but it's not like the usual Dragon Box footage either. Also, I'm enjoying most of the Buu Bits so far.
Also, not surprised Kaiser's voicing the Tournament Announcer considering apparently Kirran was supposed to, but has since left TFS. I'll say, Kaiser does a pretty spot-on impression of Eric Vale's voice for him.
Also, gotta love how Lani basically gave us a preview of the Majin Vegeta scene in the episode 51 commentary.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

So, shortlist I have for some of the new voices (some are guesses based on what's been said in the creator commentaries or intuition on my behalf):
World Tournament Announcer & Sharpner: Kaiser
Babidi: Lani
Kid Trunks: Bulma's VA
Goten: Chichi's VA
Videl: Whoever voiced her in that scene in the Cell Saga.
Supreme Kai: Maybe Howard Wang?

I can't tell who plays Dabura or Buu, though. Until they release a cast list, these are my best guesses on some of them.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:25 am

Funny how Mark is able to use pre-existing music in his videos, but MistareFusion got dinged for using them in his DBD intros.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:21 am

DB1984 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:25 am Funny how Mark is able to use pre-existing music in his videos, but MistareFusion got dinged for using them in his DBD intros.
I'm assuming it's because with Mark, they're under his narration while MistareFusion, they're at the beginning of the reviews unedited. Easier for YouTube's bots to flag.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:51 am

I loved all the Buu bits so much.

TFS definitely would've done an amazing job if they had abridged the thing properly, but I understand that small bits are better for them.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:01 am

I cannot wait for Part 2. Popo vs Trunks and Kakatot have been literally talked about since the beginning of DBZA. :D