"Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero" Home Release Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero" Home Release Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:33 pm

North American release date for the 4K announced - 21st November

Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:30 am

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:05 am Unfortunately names like "Broly" have been mandated for a while now (we got that notice at the beginning of the Dragon Ball Super: Broly international release), but yeah -- other things like "Krillin" have come in here now, too. Bummer. We're watching the Japanese version for a reason! It's intentional!
I know this is an older post at this point but I just feel like bringing up that this use of English dub names also carried over into the Norwegian theatrical release... despite the English dub of Dragon Ball never having aired here and those having never been the characters' names. Like, we have had two full releases of the manga and while they differed in a lot of ways, they both used "Kuririn" and "Shenlong" so seeing "Krillin (once misspelled as "Krilling" to add insult to injury)" and "Shenron" in the official subtitles was more than a little bit ridiculous.

...I mean the subtitles were clearly just a retranslation from English. Presumably done by some underpaid somebody working under a massive time crunch that left neither time nor sufficient motivation to actually look up what the characters were known as over here. Still really irksome though. At least I can somewhat see the justification in dub names in the subtitles in the English release even if I think it's a bad idea.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:57 am

For better or for worse in recent times there's been a push to standardise Funimation's dubisms. Crunchyroll's simulcast for Super contained dub terms, and a lot of merchandise is starting to use "Frieza" instead of "Freeza".

Update on the 4K, but turns out there will be a holographic art card. Both it and the lenticular cover will be limited though.

Pre-order link for Rightstuff.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:38 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:57 am For better or for worse in recent times there's been a push to standardise Funimation's dubisms. Crunchyroll's simulcast for Super contained dub terms, and a lot of merchandise is starting to use "Frieza" instead of "Freeza".

Update on the 4K, but turns out there will be a holographic art card. Both it and the lenticular cover will be limited though.

Pre-order link for Rightstuff.
That's definitely for the worse! It's awful!

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:51 pm

There's also an Amazon-exclusive steelbook, using what seems to be a flipped version of the previous steelbook's artwork.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CCZQNHHB/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:31 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:51 pm There's also an Amazon-exclusive steelbook, using what seems to be a flipped version of the previous steelbook's artwork.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CCZQNHHB/
And a Walmart-exclusive, which has a front cover identical to the UK's standard Blu-Ray steelbook.

Speaking of which, it will be interesting to see what Crunchyroll UK do. I've spoken to some fans who were holding out for a 4K Collector's Edition, which there may or may not be a demand for since we already got one for the standard Blu-Ray.

A closer look at the Amazon edition for those interested:

Each steel comes with a metallic card.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:22 pm

Honestly I had lost hope in the 4K so I'm happy to see it here. Those steelbooks look ugly imo, now to see what is available in Australia... I can't even remember if 4K's are region free.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:16 am

nato25 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:22 pm I can't even remember if 4K's are region free.
All UHD Blu-rays should be region free, it's an intentional feature of the format. The box advertises Region A+B as well, so apparently importing will be a viable option for a lot of people if there's no local release.

(Apparently there's a handful of discs which implemented regular-BD region coding on a UHD disc - but they were actually breaking the rules by doing that.)

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:31 pm

Thank you. I forgot that our local distributor got taken over by Crunchyroll in Australia (previously Madman) so we'll see if that helps with a local release. Import fees are crazy, be looking at over $100 AUD, normally a new release 4K will go for $40.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:21 pm

Walmart 4K steelbook up for pre-order.

Reminder to all this will almost certainly contain the green tint. TOEI baked in the incorrect white point during production so there may never be a tintless version.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:47 am

I've emailed Crunchyroll support in Australia, we are getting a local release in December so that's good. No need for the crazy import fees.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:12 pm

For anyone interested 4K coming December 18th.

Looks like standard edition and Orange Piccolo steelbook.