I realized a horrible thing. If Toriyama dies or retires Dragon Ball AF will be a thing

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

I realized a horrible thing. If Toriyama dies or retires Dragon Ball AF will be a thing

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:15 pm

And I dont mean that would be ANY good. If he dies and Toyotaro is not replaced this is what will happen. A literal fanfic becoming canon.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: I realized a horrible thing. If Toriyama dies or retires Dragon Ball AF will be a thing

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:58 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing ideas from Dragon Ball AF reworked into better stories. We've seen that with Broly, a lot of stories featuring him were written in AF but most were terrible, conversely the 2018 movie fleshed out the character and gave him an interesting story. Goku Black was also a better version of Xicor.

As of now I'm cautiously optimistic for the anime because of the news of Akio Iyoku forming Capsule Corporation Tokyo, and Akira Toriyama trusts him to treat the series with respect. The manga has gone downhill since the Moro arc though, ideally I'd like Toyotaro to carry on drawing it but have someone else write the stories.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: I realized a horrible thing. If Toriyama dies or retires Dragon Ball AF will be a thing

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:14 pm

The only difference between the stuff we've got now and the AF stuff we used to see back in the day is that none of the new Saiyan forms have fur like SS4.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:24 pm

You mean like an evil Goku allying himself with an evil Kaioshin? That AF?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:36 pm

You say this as if Shueisha wouldn't be heavily supervising Toyotaro's ideas and wouldn't nix ideas that directly originated from a fan property. And also not knowing if Toyotaro even has interest in that anymore.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:46 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:14 pm The only difference between the stuff we've got now and the AF stuff we used to see back in the day is that none of the new Saiyan forms have fur like SS4.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see Goku or Vegeta turn Super Saiyan 4 in a future movie, its still a popular form and one of the few old ideas that hasn't been capitalised on outside of Super Dragon Ball Heroes. They're also running out of hair colours.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:48 pm

68 is a bit premature to say that he has high odds of dying soon. He could easily have 20 or more years left. But retirement, sure, he might do that soon - he doesn't seem like the highly ambitious, married to the job type.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:27 pm

I don’t see how Toriyama’s presence among the living or lack thereof affects this. There has been officially released Dragon Ball fiction without his name on it during his lifetime already. Lots of it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:26 pm

What makes you think that in any way would happen??

Why does this need to be its own thread? I thought you were gonna stop posting these pointless threads. The Non Thread Worthy Discussions in a thing for a reason

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:35 pm

That's not necessarily true. Super is a thing is because Toriyama brought the franchise back with Battle of Gods. If he dies, they might just stop making new Dragon Ball outside of an occasional movie or something. Dragon Ball went away for 16 years, it could go away again.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:06 am

Yuji wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:24 pm You mean like an evil Goku allying himself with an evil Kaioshin? That AF?
That's what I was thinking too. I'm not sure how much of the Goku Black arc came from the Dragon Room but it could've been inspired by AF same as how Toyotaro and Young Jiji were inspired by the original AF years before. I think what Toyotaro came up with was Vegeta alternating between transformations midbattle which he later used (Ultra/3/4 in AF and God/Blue in the Goku Black arc) and seven Saiyans needed to summon Goku.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:27 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:26 pm What makes you think that in any way would happen??

Why does this need to be its own thread? I thought you were gonna stop posting these pointless threads. The Non Thread Worthy Discussions in a thing for a reason
I got overconfident. I really cant get rid of this but I am trying.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:57 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:27 am I got overconfident. I really cant get rid of this but I am trying.
In which case, try to think of it this way: Like all other users, your momentary thoughts or ideas aren't inherently more worth paying attention to than anyone else's, so if you're going to make them into some center of attention for the rest of the site, then they'll need to have enough weight to merit that kind of focus, more than other such post ideas.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:15 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:57 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:27 am I got overconfident. I really cant get rid of this but I am trying.
In which case, try to think of it this way: Like all other users, your momentary thoughts or ideas aren't inherently more worth paying attention to than anyone else's, so if you're going to make them into some center of attention for the rest of the site, then they'll need to have enough weight to merit that kind of focus, more than other such post ideas.
Ok. I apologize. I didnt mean to be the center of attention, it's just me being careless.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:53 pm

Oh no, that is a bad thing! There's nothing we can do to prevent such tragedy, such terrible thing from ever happening. So let's run to the hills, let's hide ourselves in bunkers, let's save ourselves from such calamity. It's so bad that the Earth will explode and the Universe will cease to exist, such is the nature of this atrocious thing coming to exist in the canon that was outright established by Akira Toriyama and/or Shueisha.

Please Dende, I beg of you, spare us from this plague, and grace us with more Dragon Ball Super!
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:26 pmWhy does this need to be its own thread? I thought you were gonna stop posting these pointless threads. The Non Thread Worthy Discussions in a thing for a reason
Come on, have some empathy. Every pointless, trivial and smallest details are thread worthy.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:18 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:53 pm Oh no, that is a bad thing! There's nothing we can do to prevent such tragedy, such terrible thing from ever happening. So let's run to the hills, let's hide ourselves in bunkers, let's save ourselves from such calamity. It's so bad that the Earth will explode and the Universe will cease to exist, such is the nature of this atrocious thing coming to exist in the canon that was outright established by Akira Toriyama and/or Shueisha.

Please Dende, I beg of you, spare us from this plague, and grace us with more Dragon Ball Super!
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:26 pmWhy does this need to be its own thread? I thought you were gonna stop posting these pointless threads. The Non Thread Worthy Discussions in a thing for a reason
Come on, have some empathy. Every pointless, trivial and smallest details are thread worthy.
I was regretting making this thread but this post made it worth it. I know this is sarcasm but this is fucking hilarious. To be honest I dont think this is a cruel fate but it was a thing that came to mind. I had a lapse in judgement and did the thread without thinking. I will try to just make a thread one month between each one.

Also thanks to everyone who participated too.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:10 pm

Dragon Ball Heroes, Super, and other modern content since 2009 took many ideas from AF.

SSj4 Broly and SSj4 Gohan - Check
Broly being a good guy - Check
New Super Saiyan forms - Check
Bardock going SSj - Check
Raditz and Nappa going SSj - Check
Future Trunks returning - Check
Evil Goku - Somewhat
Evil Kai - Check
Evil clones of the good guys - Check (As seen in DBZF)
New androids - Check
Vegeta going SSj3 - Check
Old villains returning and becoming stronger - Check
Silver Saiyan Hair and fur - Somewhat

We still don't have an official SSj5, but I don't think Shueisha wants one since Super is giving characters new forms. Even if we did get a SSj5, it won't be the silver hairy form like many fan arts have it. Toyotaro also gets way too much credit for his AF fan manga because he just took a lot of old fan fic ideas and retold them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:27 pm

Well Super is just unabashed fan service so….

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:09 pm

Is there any evidence to suggest that Toriyama necessarily reigns in Toyotaro's ideas? I guess I'm not sure how I see the floodgates suddenly opening without Toriyama there. Sure, his originality and signature touch would be missing, but I doubt the impact would be as dramatic as one might imagine.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:40 pm

At the risk of asking the obvious question: who cares? Quality of art is something determined after the question. Dragon Ball certainly doesn't need fans or anyone trying to be some Arbiter of Serious Art. One can do a lot with so-called out-there ideas, after all. If something doesn't appeal to you because you're not invested in the human element of it, then that's fine! Ignore it! I do that with Dragon Ball Evolution.

And, frankly, I'll take Super Saiyan 69 Gokuu fighting Super Saiyan 1337 Vegeta if there's a cool character arc at play. Make the transformations gayer! Give them more colors and more pronouns! If the finished prject sucks, criticize it for sucking, not because it comes across as whatever someone arbitrarily deems is fan ficy.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf