Another live action thread (yes, I know)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Another live action thread (yes, I know)

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:25 am

Season 1: mix of Hunt for the Dragon Balls and RRA.
Season 2: Daimaou intorduced, Tenshinhan introduced outside of the tournament.
Season 3: Tenka-ichi Budoukai, Gokuu winning
Season 4: Saiyans
Season 5: Namek
Season 6: Artificial Humans
Season 7: Majin Buu

There's no reason to do a 1:1 set up, so season could easily pick-and-choose what character arcs to tell and in what context.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:33 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:25 am Season 1: mix of Hunt for the Dragon Balls and RRA.
Season 2: Daimaou intorduced, Tenshinhan introduced outside of the tournament.
Season 3: Tenka-ichi Budoukai, Gokuu winning
Season 4: Saiyans
Season 5: Namek
Season 6: Artificial Humans
Season 7: Majin Buu

There's no reason to do a 1:1 set up, so season could easily pick-and-choose what character arcs to tell and in what context.
Kinda always thought 7 movies would be perfect for Dragon Ball, but the second movie would start with a mix of 21st and 22nd Tenka'ichi Budoukai and then the main body would be Piccolo Daimao and then end with Goku VS Piccolo at the 23rd TB, it wraps the movie up in a nice theme.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:16 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:08 pm They could probably just cut Uranai Baba entirely, or at the very least just not do that little mini-challenge with her multiple fighters.
The only reason I don't want the Baba section gone entirely is because you'd lose Goku's reunion with Grandpa Gohan in the process. You can remove the mini-challenge entirely and keep the reunion in there (working it in some other way) or keep the mini-challenge but make Masked Gohan Baba's only fighter.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:43 am

The mini-challenge could be trimmed down greatly, while keeping the cool parts of it. It 's a 10-episode mini arc, keep the vampire, the invisible man, and Son Gohan, remove the rest. Or just go with Son Gohan as the only challenge, Goku deserves to meet up with him again, specially when he keeps on gathering the DBs so other people could get their wish.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:17 am

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:16 amThe only reason I don't want the Baba section gone entirely is because you'd lose Goku's reunion with Grandpa Gohan in the process. You can remove the mini-challenge entirely and keep the reunion in there (working it in some other way) or keep the mini-challenge but make Masked Gohan Baba's only fighter.
Agreed.

To me the third story arc of the manga would be more appropriately called the "Four Star Ball" arc. It begins with Goku's quest to find the Four Star Ball, and ends when he finally gets it. The reason the Four Star Ball is special to Goku in the first place is because it is a memento of his grandpa. At the arc's climax, Goku fights and is reunited with his grandpa, the man who left him the Four Star Ball in the first place. He literally calls the ball "grampa" in its first appearance (or prays to him using the ball as a proxy). The Four Star Ball is Goku's grandfather, and Goku's grandfather is the Four Star Ball.

The Red Ribbon Army is simply the most pervasive (among many) obstacles to Goku's goal. If you can place Goku's quest for the Four Star Ball and his reunion with his grandfather amidst said quest into another arc that doesn't involve the Red Ribbon Army and/or Baba, then sure, fuse the former with Bulma's Journey to the West and excise the latter entirely. But I don't know where you would reasonably place it otherwise.

---

I've previously floated the idea of having the first six arcs broken up into 3 "movies/seasons", each one having a Dragon Ball hunt in the first half and a tournament in the second half. The main issue there is that, aside from the Piccolo Daimao and 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arcs, these tournament arcs don't really follow up on plot threads from the preceding Dragon Ball hunt arcs. I mean I guess the 21st delivers on Roshi inviting Goku to live with him during the preceding Dragon Ball hunt, and the 22nd has the Crane School seeking revenge for the "death" of Tao Pai Pai during the preceding Dragon Ball hunt. But neither of these Dragon Ball hunts end with "now we'll see this actually resolved at the next tournament".
And I know the Piccolo Daimao arc isn't exactly a Dragon Ball hunt story arc, but there's one in it, and that's close enough for what I'm talking about here.

The 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai arc pairs much more nicely with the Piccolo Daimao arc then it does the Four Star Ball arc, making me think that a Piccolo-centric season bookended by tournaments could work. The Saiyan and Namek arcs also would make sense to combine into a single season. The main issue in both of these examples is the amount of story content to be crammed into such a short space.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:06 pm

This has to be the most active this forum has been discussing the possibilities for live-action Dragon Ball. Thank you, Netflix (and Oda)!!! In any case, I'm just glad I'm not hitting a brick wall on here talking about live-action DB anymore. Honestly, I'm going to get flak for this, but I think the second half of Dragon Ball (Z) should be prioritized over the first, when a live-action project inevitably happens. Let's be honest with ourselves, Z is still the most iconic anime series in Dragon Ball, which means it has the greatest chance for success.

Also, despite coming out almost 15 years ago, Evolution tried adapting early DB already. I think early DB should be adapted as a Netflix series while Z gets the theatrical treatment. Ideally, both should release simultaneously or around the same time. I know how everyone on this forum is regarding the importance of early DB and I agree, but I guarantee a live-action trailer showing Goku and Piccolo fighting the Saiyans will generate more interest than a movie trailer about Goku and Bulma searching for the Dragon Balls together.

I also think the Z portion should get six movies:

1. Dragon Ball: Z - First movie briefly recaps Dragon Ball and Bardock, similarly to Kai episode 1. Extended sequence showing how Goku met Bulma and the context of what the Dragon Balls are. Toriyama manga-inspired motion panels showing Goku's adventures up until Goku vs. Piccolo Jr, shown in live-action. Goku wins, gets married and we move ahead five years (where Goku is a radish farmer missing the old days). Goku and Gohan's bond is expanded slightly, making their separation and reunion more meaningful. Gohan introduced/kidnapped at Kame House. Radtiz fight is covered mostly the same. Goku and Radtiz die. Piccolo takes and trains Gohan, forming a bond together. Krillin (a cop now) and Bulma round up Yamcha (baseball player) and Tenshinhan (on a training journey) out of retirement to train with Kami. Bulma and Roshi look for the Dragon Balls as an odd duo, giving us a Hunt for the Dragon Balls Arc in this movie. Goku finds and trains with King Kai/Kaio and is wished back. Yamcha, Tenshin, and Chaozu die and Goku returns, fighting Nappa and Vegeta. Movie ends with a bittersweet victory and Gohan, Bulma, Krillin, AND Goku (who leaves with them in this version to avoid overusing the Goku Time trope) leave for Namek. Freeza is shown in mid-credits scene.

2. Dragon Ball: Battle of Namek - Adapts Freeza Arc with some changes. This might be controversial, but maybe here Gohan dies instead of Krillin to throw the fans off? Eh, maybe not. Ends with Goku seemingly dying, but Shenron reveals he's alive. Mid-credits teases Gero building the androids.

3. Dragon Ball: The Artificial Humans - Adapts everything up to the battle with 17 and 18. Maybe, in this version Cooler and King Cold accompany Freeza to Earth before Trunks kills them all (or maybe Goku returns in time to blast Cooler into the sun). And perhaps, Androids 13, 14, 15, 21 (being based on Gero's wife), and maybe 8 factor into the story somehow. Gero and 16's backstory as father and son explored. Mid-credits reveals Imperfect Cell in a lifeless city.

4. Dragon Ball: The Cell Games - Cell introduced, absorbs 17 and 18. Sets up Cell Games and Gohan defeats him as a SSJ2 as we all know.

5. Dragon Ball: The Majin Mark - Adapts everything up until Vegeta's sacrifice. Maybe in this version Babidi forces the Dragon Team/Z-Fighters into a battle royale with the ultimate goal of reviving Boo, which can replace the pointlessness of the Tenkaichi Budokai and offer greater stakes. Maybe Gohan fights Dabra in the tournament instead of at Babidi's ship (same with Goku vs. Yakon and Vegeta vs. Pui Pui).

6. Dragon Ball: Farewell - Adapts the rest of the Boo Arc with minor changes. Maybe Kakarot is changed to Kakarotto to make Vegetto make sense.

Maybe the Freeza Arc could get one more movie to bring the total to 7 for 7 Dragon Balls (Although, I don't think it needs it with Movie 1 already being Part 1 of the sequel, in a way). And everything in the manga should take priority over GT, Battle of Gods, Super, etc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:53 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:06 pm I guarantee a live-action trailer showing Goku and Piccolo fighting the Saiyans will generate more interest than a movie trailer about Goku and Bulma searching for the Dragon Balls together.
No one has argued that DBZ isn't more popular, but that isn't the issue or something that matters to us. Yes, showing the fireworks is likely to drum up more interest than a walk and talk. But since my priority is caring about the characters and enjoying the show, I don't care what gets more eyeballs.

The only issue I have is since streamers don't seem to go past 4 or 5 seasons these days, jumping the story to either Piccolo or the Saiyans is a smart move.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:52 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:53 pm
mecha3000 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:06 pm I guarantee a live-action trailer showing Goku and Piccolo fighting the Saiyans will generate more interest than a movie trailer about Goku and Bulma searching for the Dragon Balls together.
No one has argued that DBZ isn't more popular, but that isn't the issue or something that matters to us. Yes, showing the fireworks is likely to drum up more interest than a walk and talk. But since my priority is caring about the characters and enjoying the show, I don't care what gets more eyeballs.

The only issue I have is since streamers don't seem to go past 4 or 5 seasons these days, jumping the story to either Piccolo or the Saiyans is a smart move.
Dragonball could be 4 seasons then it is soft rebooted into Dragonball Z.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:28 am

mecha3000 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:06 pm This has to be the most active this forum has been discussing the possibilities for live-action Dragon Ball. Thank you, Netflix (and Oda)!!! In any case, I'm just glad I'm not hitting a brick wall on here talking about live-action DB anymore. Honestly, I'm going to get flak for this, but I think the second half of Dragon Ball (Z) should be prioritized over the first, when a live-action project inevitably happens. Let's be honest with ourselves, Z is still the most iconic anime series in Dragon Ball, which means it has the greatest chance for success.

Also, despite coming out almost 15 years ago, Evolution tried adapting early DB already. I think early DB should be adapted as a Netflix series while Z gets the theatrical treatment. Ideally, both should release simultaneously or around the same time. I know how everyone on this forum is regarding the importance of early DB and I agree, but I guarantee a live-action trailer showing Goku and Piccolo fighting the Saiyans will generate more interest than a movie trailer about Goku and Bulma searching for the Dragon Balls together.

I also think the Z portion should get six movies:

1. Dragon Ball: Z - First movie briefly recaps Dragon Ball and Bardock, similarly to Kai episode 1. Extended sequence showing how Goku met Bulma and the context of what the Dragon Balls are. Toriyama manga-inspired motion panels showing Goku's adventures up until Goku vs. Piccolo Jr, shown in live-action. Goku wins, gets married and we move ahead five years (where Goku is a radish farmer missing the old days). Goku and Gohan's bond is expanded slightly, making their separation and reunion more meaningful. Gohan introduced/kidnapped at Kame House. Radtiz fight is covered mostly the same. Goku and Radtiz die. Piccolo takes and trains Gohan, forming a bond together. Krillin (a cop now) and Bulma round up Yamcha (baseball player) and Tenshinhan (on a training journey) out of retirement to train with Kami. Bulma and Roshi look for the Dragon Balls as an odd duo, giving us a Hunt for the Dragon Balls Arc in this movie. Goku finds and trains with King Kai/Kaio and is wished back. Yamcha, Tenshin, and Chaozu die and Goku returns, fighting Nappa and Vegeta. Movie ends with a bittersweet victory and Gohan, Bulma, Krillin, AND Goku (who leaves with them in this version to avoid overusing the Goku Time trope) leave for Namek. Freeza is shown in mid-credits scene.

2. Dragon Ball: Battle of Namek - Adapts Freeza Arc with some changes. This might be controversial, but maybe here Gohan dies instead of Krillin to throw the fans off? Eh, maybe not. Ends with Goku seemingly dying, but Shenron reveals he's alive. Mid-credits teases Gero building the androids.

3. Dragon Ball: The Artificial Humans - Adapts everything up to the battle with 17 and 18. Maybe, in this version Cooler and King Cold accompany Freeza to Earth before Trunks kills them all (or maybe Goku returns in time to blast Cooler into the sun). And perhaps, Androids 13, 14, 15, 21 (being based on Gero's wife), and maybe 8 factor into the story somehow. Gero and 16's backstory as father and son explored. Mid-credits reveals Imperfect Cell in a lifeless city.

4. Dragon Ball: The Cell Games - Cell introduced, absorbs 17 and 18. Sets up Cell Games and Gohan defeats him as a SSJ2 as we all know.

5. Dragon Ball: The Majin Mark - Adapts everything up until Vegeta's sacrifice. Maybe in this version Babidi forces the Dragon Team/Z-Fighters into a battle royale with the ultimate goal of reviving Boo, which can replace the pointlessness of the Tenkaichi Budokai and offer greater stakes. Maybe Gohan fights Dabra in the tournament instead of at Babidi's ship (same with Goku vs. Yakon and Vegeta vs. Pui Pui).

6. Dragon Ball: Farewell - Adapts the rest of the Boo Arc with minor changes. Maybe Kakarot is changed to Kakarotto to make Vegetto make sense.

Maybe the Freeza Arc could get one more movie to bring the total to 7 for 7 Dragon Balls (Although, I don't think it needs it with Movie 1 already being Part 1 of the sequel, in a way). And everything in the manga should take priority over GT, Battle of Gods, Super, etc.
My bad reacting to my own post, but I just realized that everything pre-Z can possibly be condensed into a single movie before moving onto Z, which would bring my movie count to seven for seven Dragon Balls!!!

Also, something I've been hearing a lot about Netflix One Piece from fans is how it felt like watching One Piece again for the first time. Hear that, naysayers? That's exactly the appeal of live-action anime or any adaptation really. Dragon Ball will do the same when it inevitably gets a live-action reboot adaptation.

I wouldn't be surprised if discussions are being had now after Netflix One Piece's critical and commercial success. Another thing is that I'm noticing how many people outside the One Piece/anime loop are getting into it THROUGH Netflix One Piece, such as many YouTubers and online personalities I watch. Even penguinz0 admitted it was good!

I'm not trying to be a smartass with my recent posts, but I've BEEN saying the next step for anime is to get live-action adaptations just like Marvel/DC have, so they can become more mainstream and reach more audiences. And my suggestions were repeatedly shot down on this forum until Netflix pulled off what many thought was the most impossible anime adaptation. So, please try to understand the bitter tone of my post.

Anyway, hopefully we've finally reached a time where live-action anime adaptations can rival/surpass Marvel (back when Marvel wasn't mediocre) in popularity. I'm ready for that live-action Naruto movie too.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:01 am

So how can you be sure that Netflix's One Piece is an actual success when Netflix doesn't release any metrics?

Yes they market it as "x number of views" but what is the actual data?
Is watching for a minute, then turning it off because you didn't like it a "view"? Is that minute counted as an "success" even though the viewer turned it off and didn't watch it for longer than a minute?
How many viewers watched multiple or all episodes?
How many new subscriptions headed straight for One Piece, indicating it could be a reason to sign up for the service?

I'm talking about actual, tangible data for success. No anecdotal ("People on the internet said they watched it") data. When Netflix, or any other streaming service markets with "X number of views" or "Biggest debut ever" the devil's in the details.

Same goes for movie studios btw. Announcing a sequel ahead of the first movie opening is just marketing. There are many movies where the sequel's ahead of time and doesn't get released due to disappointing BO results.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:07 am

Jord wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:01 am So how can you be sure that Netflix's One Piece is an actual success when Netflix doesn't release any metrics?

Is watching for a minute, then turning it off because you didn't like it a "view"? Is that minute counted as an "success" even though the viewer turned it off and didn't watch it for longer than a minute?
How many new subscriptions headed straight for One Piece, indicating it could be a reason to sign up for the service?

I'm talking about actual, tangible data for success. No anecdotal ("People on the internet said they watched it") data. When Netflix, or any other streaming service markets with "X number of views" or "Biggest debut ever" the devil's in the details.

Same goes for movie studios btw. Announcing a sequel ahead of the first movie opening is just marketing. There are many movies where the sequel's ahead of time and doesn't get released due to disappointing BO results.
Well, at least critically it's a success, if not commercially (which I'm sure it's probably successful enough anyway). And even if its not getting enough views, Netflix claims they have scripts ready for Season 2 so the confidence is clearly there. Even Oda seems pleased with it from what I've gathered online.

But I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, especially in the midst of the actors/writers strike.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:26 am

mecha3000 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:07 am
Jord wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:01 am So how can you be sure that Netflix's One Piece is an actual success when Netflix doesn't release any metrics?

Well, at least critically it's a success, if not commercially (which I'm sure it's probably successful enough anyway). And even if its not getting enough views, Netflix claims they have scripts ready for Season 2 so the confidence is clearly there. Even Oda seems pleased with it from what I've gathered online.

But I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, especially in the midst of the actors/writers strike.
I would think they have planned a large part of the seasons out. You don't create a "live action" world without an overall plan. Doesn't mean that they actually will produce 2 or more seasons but they probably thought ahead.

You bring up an interesting point regarding the strike as well. With it not ending anytime soon, there will be a cooldown period for a possible next season. Even though a lot of OP is CGI, I would think both writing, acting as well as post-production is huge on a project like this.

The new Turtles movie is also a critical success but it's a box office failure. Yes, they announced a sequel before the release of Mutant Mayhem but I wonder if they will actually produce one when this movie will barely break even. Especially with a huge brand like Turtles, it's performance is disappointing. Critical success doesn't always translate to views/money.

Back to Netflix, it would be very interesting to see what defines "success" with a project, which is actually one of the issues regarding the writer's strike. Without transparency, both we, as well as the writers, including the live action One Piece ones, won't know how successful it actually is.
Playing devil's advocate here but let's hypothetically say that OP is a big bust for Netflix. People barely watched it and those who did turned it off. Again hypothetically. With the huge budget Netflix invested, would they actually come forward and say "Yeah, nobody watched it" or would they spin the metrics around and proclaim it's a huge hit?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:55 am

Absurdly enough, the Korean and Chinese adaptations worked for me more in all the cheesiness and low quality VFX than DBE in it's slightest.

I think what works well with One Piece is the respect to source material both by content and visually and staying away from the stupid reasons for bastardization: "We have changed one member of the cast for female, ruining one of the best characters in process – Saint Seiya, we have to write simple plots for western kids to get it, we have to westernize the whole approach, make the stuff look cool and edgy and blend it, so western people get it – SS/Knights Of The Zodiac, DB Evolution, Power Rangers movie etc."

As some people mentioned, Dragon Ball has roots in wuxia movies and many wuxia movies do better Dragon Ball action than the one and only adaptation we've got. So instead of doing some high school BS again and stuff like that, they should stay away from progressive ideas and box ticking and do a proper wuxia movie.
Super strong kung-fu trained kid in eastern wilderness far from the "western" civilization, meets the girl Bulma, which might lead to fun and interesting adventure of yin and yang main characters, revolving around mystic adventure and martial arts.
This will probably stay a wet dream, but if trilogy, you can have:
  • First movie/Season – introduction to the world and characters, adventure around the 7 Dragon Balls, training with Roshi and first Martial Arts tournament being the climax.
    Second Movie/Season – RR Army and The Baba tournament. The RR Army can be super action fun in particular, you have the first set of enemies comprised of grunts, bosses and super bosses which Goku can fight through in nonstop action to satisfy all the power hungry fans.
    Third Movie/Season – Second Tournament and Piccolo Daimao. With Piccolo Jr. cliffhanger.
A lot of work. But imagine something akin to Once Upon A Time In China with Jet Li with modern standards and blend of western/sci-fi elements with the first parts being this Bulma character from advanced city, adventuring with bunch of far east kung fu warriors.
Kid Goku basically being no different from Avatar The Last Airbender in a sense.

I wouldn't even brand the later stuff as Z and there the arcs are quite clear. I would always blend two arcs together, in condensed fashion but still respectful to the source, an adaptation like LOTR was. And what is the best about the first OG DB? It is easily doable visually and more grounded in a sense, to do proper wuxia without troubling themselves about all the aliens, epic grand scale battles and going to space.

With Z portion:
  • Fourth movie/Season – Piccolo Jr./Tournament and Saiyan arc – which introduces even bigger villain and succesor to the previous one, with even bigger threat forcing Goku and his rival to join forces. I can imagine the tournament not taking much portion of the movie.
    Fifth movie/Season – Namek/Freeza
    Sixth – Android/Cell – This might be a two parter actually, with adapting chronologically Trunks, or rather, return back Mecha Freeza, having Trunks as mysterious SSJ like in the show and then do flasback, ending the movie with Cell cliffhanger.
    Seventh or Eight – Depending on the previous, Buu arc. Might also be divided in two, ending on Satan befriending Buu and ending on cliffhanger with Buu being angry and resulting in the Evil Buu.
I believe that the series arcs can be condensed by two up to final fight against Freeza on Namek, because frankly enough, the anime gives the illusion that the fight is actually longer than it really is and the doom clock might work great in a movie or show.
With Android arc Trunks steals the show with Gohan, being actually main characters at times and Buu arc does the same with further pursuing Gohan, Goten and Trunks, many forms of Buu. And I'd end the series there, adapting the original, with EOZ being literal short epilogue with promise of next adventures like in manga.

The faithful adaptation for modern audiences will work wonders, as all the plot twists and even the play on the show's iconic cliffhangers can be all there. Most notably finding out that Goku is an alien and hence all the "super power and talent" in the fourth movie or season.
If the designs are kept most faithful and to work in live action, the story respecting the source and adding modern flavor it will work.
I don't see any trouble on the action/fighting front, as bits and pieces of western cinema over the years show that this is not a problem – Matrix, Shang Chi etc. and Chinese action cinema in general.

I take One Piece as a pioneer of this approach and Netflix already tried with Cowboy Bebop. Which IMHO was actually adapted quite well visually and action-wise, but there is some story and portrayal nitpicking.
The only thing that Evolution got right, was casting Chow Yun Fat as Master Roshi, just to waste him in a bad movie.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:44 am

mecha3000 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:28 am My bad reacting to my own post, but I just realized that everything pre-Z can possibly be condensed into a single movie before moving onto Z
Why? Why is it so important that they skip to DBZ?
miguelnuva1 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:52 pm Dragonball could be 4 seasons then it is soft rebooted into Dragonball Z.
How is that a soft reboot?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:20 pm

I think you HAVE to adapt the original Dragon Ball first or audiences might think it's too weird/looks bad. One Piece gets away with its wacky anime character designs/hairstyles/powers cause it's a somewhat lighthearted show, so the anime aspects seem campy instead of cringe. I think something like DBZ that takes itself very seriously is gonna have a harder time breaking down that wall with casual audiences, so starting off with the more fun DB and building up to Z makes more sense to me.

Season 1 - Hunt for DB/Tournament 1
Season 2 - Red Ribbon/Baba
Season 3 - Tournament 2/King Piccolo
Season 4 (shortened) - Piccolo Jr.
Season 5 - Saiyan Saga
Season 6a - Namek Saga ending on Goku's arrival on Namek
Season 6b - rest of Ginyu arc and Freeza fight
Season 7a - Trunks through Cell absorbing 17
Season 7b - Rest of Cell arc
Season 8a - Great Saiyaman through Buu's awakening
Season 8b - Rest of Buu arc

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:35 pm

funrush wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:20 pm I think you HAVE to adapt the original Dragon Ball first or audiences might think it's too weird/looks bad.
You have to adapt original Dragon Ball first because the emotional crux of the Saiyan arc is centered on you giving a shit about the characters being killed off. Start straight with the Saiyan arc and Chaozu, Ten, and Yamcha are reduced to cannon fodder which is essentially what happened with the syndication era dub. You'll get some emotional resonance with Piccolo's death because of his growing bond with Gohan but you really don't get the full weight of it without having seen the Daimao and Junior arcs. Born to kill Son Goku and died saving his son instead. You also have to get a lot of lore dumped on you like the whole Kami and Piccolo split (something Funimation tried to avoid early on before they realized they had to address it), the existence of the dragon balls, Roshi and Krillin's prior brush with death (at least Krillin since it's kind of important he can't be brought back by Shen Long when he dies on Namek), and more.

Just because you saw the Saiyan arc first when you were six and didn't care who baldy with 3 eyes was, or short mime thing, or floating talking cat, or talking pig with suspenders, or whats this deal with Piccolo and Kami doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Bare minimum at least 2 seasons to cover the pre-Saiyan stuff. Really should be 3 or 4

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:46 pm

As bad as DBE was, it was a smart move to start with Piccolo before we did stuff like Raditz and the rest of DBZ. It makes sense to start from the ground up and go from there. From what I've been told, One Piece on Netflix started with the East Blue arc and not the other story arcs.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:38 pm

If you so desperately want to get to the Z portion asap you have to at minimum adapt the Piccolo Daimao stuff, and that content could be conbined with the introduction to the characters and the Dragon Ball themselves, like how DBEvolution did 14 years ago but now with better execution and more than just 100 minutes of runtime.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:57 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:38 pm If you so desperately want to get to the Z portion asap you have to at minimum adapt the Piccolo Daimao stuff, and that content could be conbined with the introduction to the characters and the Dragon Ball themselves, like how DBEvolution did 14 years ago but now with better execution and more than just 100 minutes of runtime.
I agree. And just because I would prefer they prioritize Z-era content doesn't mean I've never watched or don't enjoy OG Dragon Ball. I've seen all 153 episodes and do think it's necessary if you want to understand the full context of the entire series. But at the same time, Z isn't like Shippuden where you NEED the context of Part 1 of Naruto. Z starts in a way where anyone can kind of jump in (despite missing some context) and feel the history of the world and characters prior to the Saiyan Arc. That's the genius of Toriyama not setting up cliffhangers and keeping things simple, unlike Naruto, where if you started with Shippuden, you'd be completely lost. But honestly, if they started adapting the Pilaf Arc and Red Ribbon Arc first, I wouldn't be mad as long as it turns out good and we get the Saiyan Arc later.

Another thing I wanted to say is it's amazing how Netflix One Piece is getting new fans into the anime/manga (fans who never would've given the cartoon or comic a chance originally). I'm positive that because of this, the newer fans will be motivated to read or watch the original One Piece out of curiosity of what happens after the Netflix series' first season. So, basically, there are now EVEN MORE fans of One Piece who will jump on board (no pun intended) and catch up to the manga/anime before it ends.

In Dragon Ball's case, the main story (original 42 manga volumes and anime) is over. So, adapting it should be a much easier task than One Piece. And these excuses about how Dragon Ball is harder to adapt than One Piece? Like, come on. No way in hell that's true. It's the reverse and One Piece turned out great.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:39 am

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:44 am
miguelnuva1 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:52 pm Dragonball could be 4 seasons then it is soft rebooted into Dragonball Z.
How is that a soft reboot?
"soft reboot," in which an ongoing story attempts to start fresh with a new chapter in order to bring in new viewers or introduce new characters , without effectively erasing everything we've seen before. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is an example of a soft reboot.

DBZ can be watched without watching OG DB and it time skips up enough that it starts a new plot.