Hypothetically, what would be the better story?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Hypothetically, what would be the better story?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:09 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:15 pm I think it's time to move forward with DB Online.
There's not a single solitary thing I've read about Dragon Ball Online that sounds in anyway appealing.

Let's not

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:37 pm

online? gt? super? heroes? dragon ball needs to move forward with the secret, queer fifth thing
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Hypothetically what would be the better stroy

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:57 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:21 am
ABED wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:28 pmAnd pointing at an established character dynamic isn't an element being retold. It's just characters acting according to who they are and what their dynamic is with each other. How is that a legitimate criticism?
Under normal and general circumstances, it isn't. Though Dragon Ball manages to make that a problem too. I don't want to see Goten and Trunks together all the time just because it's very well established them as a pair. Also, it hinders Goten's character as a whole.

I don't want to see Piccolo and Gohan together all the time just because it's a very well established dynamic. It might lead to some cheap shit (in fact, it already did. Didn't Toei "retell" Piccolo sacrificing himself to save Gohan in the Movie 15 retelling? I have a vague memory of that). Characters should grow and shine separately as well.
What are "normal" circumstances?

And of the many established dynamics, Gohan and Piccolo are among the least in danger of being overdone.

Going to the well with Piccolo's death wasn't an issue of retelling because that's not what retelling is. It's just a cheap shot of nostalgia.

While I stick by my previous answer, if I had a gun to my head, the version I'd be more interested in seeing is GT remade to be a sequel to Super.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:27 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:15 pm I think it's time to move forward with DB Online.

We have GT as an alternate route, a what-if of sorts. We have DBS, there's no need to bridge them together, I'd rather see the story move forward past EoZ with DBO in mind.
Xenoverse and Heroes include DBO. They seem to treat every official release as existing in some timeline. I think they used time travel so that most of the events involving Mira and Towa could happen before EoZ instead of hundreds of years later. I think some of DBO could still work as like an extended epilogue showing what the Z fighters were doing before they passed away.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:48 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:57 pmAnd of the many established dynamics, Gohan and Piccolo are among the least in danger of being overdone.
Not if they continue to pair them up. Didn't they also appear together in the Universe Surivival saga? I'd say (one of) the weakest part of Dragon Ball Super Super Hero is the Gohan and Piccolo dynamic.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:48 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:48 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:57 pmAnd of the many established dynamics, Gohan and Piccolo are among the least in danger of being overdone.
Not if they continue to pair them up. Didn't they also appear together in the Universe Surivival saga? I'd say (one of) the weakest part of Dragon Ball Super Super Hero is the Gohan and Piccolo dynamic.
First, not even then. Gohan and Piccolo have so many other dynamics between the two of them that they can go to, but revisiting a foundational relationship is so important.

And second, we clearly don't see eye to eye but I loved seeing them interact in Super Hero. Piccolo first meet when Gohan is a kid so seeing them interact at various stages in Gohan's life changes things up in interesting ways. It was fun seeing Piccolo and Gohan bounce off each other not only now that he's a dad, but this was specifically about Gohan as a dad. It's a new color for them.

This feels tangential, so unless you need me to clarify something, it's best to end this.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:32 am

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:48 am ]First, not even then. Gohan and Piccolo have so many other dynamics between the two of them that they can go to, but revisiting a foundational relationship is so important.

And second, we clearly don't see eye to eye but I loved seeing them interact in Super Hero. Piccolo first meet when Gohan is a kid so seeing them interact at various stages in Gohan's life changes things up in interesting ways. It was fun seeing Piccolo and Gohan bounce off each other not only now that he's a dad, but this was specifically about Gohan as a dad. It's a new color for them.

This feels tangential, so unless you need me to clarify something, it's best to end this.
Gohan and Piccolo's bond has always been one of the more heartwarming aspects of Dragon Ball and it was actually quite sad how little they interacted in the Buu saga. I'm all for more of those two together.

If a dynamic between two characters is good there is no such thing as "too overdone" unless it comes at the expense of their individual development. Goten suffers because he's not allowed to be anything but Trunks partner in crime and occasionally Goku or Gohan's little tagalong. Gohan and Piccolo have never been just an extension of the other.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:11 am

Super only ended 5 years ago. I can't imagine anyone wanting to see it remade.

As for GT, the most I could see them doing is incorporating stuff like SS4. I guess a remake of the Shadow Dragon saga might work, as the idea of the Dragonballs having consequences has always made sense. Especially now that the Super Dragonballs have gone even further with how cheap they are (no limits to wishes).

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:35 pm

Dragon Ball GT even today for me feels like the most most Natural Continuation of the Dragon Ball Story.

The GT Anime perfectly fits With the DB & Z Anime.

Redoing GT and removing all of it's Flaws and Super 17 would be the Best Thing to end Dragon Ball once for all imo. But I also would be fine with The Original Manga Ending to be the Canon Ending if Canon even still exist in Dragon Ball ?