Broly is still going to be Broly.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: Broly is still going to be Broly.

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:36 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:43 pm Could Broly become a villain like his previous incarnation? I mean yeah, of course he could, but I certainly don't want that, most fans seem invested in his new character development leading to the possibility of him becoming a full-time protagonist
I'm personally tempering my expectations there. Knowing Dragon Ball, it's entirely possible that there aren't any plans for him and he's just gonna hang around as yet another member of the cast that does nothing most of the time.

Full-time protagonist feels less likely considering that would involve moving away from the "Goku and Vegeta show" dynamic Super has relied on, and I'm not sure Toriyama and the folks behind Super are ready to move away from that.
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:52 pm Broli can lose and then Beers could be brutally murdered by Cheelai, who is revealed to be from a planet where people have naturally high ki. Then Broli could be a house husband and dad to his and Cheelai's kids while she travels across the multiverse defeating all other martial artists, too!
You know, I'd love something completely out of left field like that to happen. The least likely person actually being the strongest isn't unheard of after all. Plus it would be an amusing subversion of expectations.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:02 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:36 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:43 pm Could Broly become a villain like his previous incarnation? I mean yeah, of course he could, but I certainly don't want that, most fans seem invested in his new character development leading to the possibility of him becoming a full-time protagonist
I'm personally tempering my expectations there. Knowing Dragon Ball, it's entirely possible that there aren't any plans for him and he's just gonna hang around as yet another member of the cast that does nothing most of the time.

Full-time protagonist feels less likely considering that would involve moving away from the "Goku and Vegeta show" dynamic Super has relied on, and I'm not sure Toriyama and the folks behind Super are ready to move away from that.
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:52 pm Broli can lose and then Beers could be brutally murdered by Cheelai, who is revealed to be from a planet where people have naturally high ki. Then Broli could be a house husband and dad to his and Cheelai's kids while she travels across the multiverse defeating all other martial artists, too!
You know, I'd love something completely out of left field like that to happen. The least likely person actually being the strongest isn't unheard of after all. Plus it would be an amusing subversion of expectations.
It's subversive! It's character-focused! It's full of cute slice-of-life and battle scenes! What's not to like?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:37 pm

Honestly the superhero arc has goku and vegeta into supporting roles with piccolo and Gohan as the main characters so nothing to worry about

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:00 pm

Yeah, but the question is: Are Toriyama and co. willing to keep them as supporting characters going forward? Or is what we got in Super Hero just going to be an occasional thing?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:11 am

I don't think so much thought has been put into Broly. The anime gave us fem Broly, because they knew how popular Broly was, and then they were like, "Ah, screw it. Let's just make Broly canon." He's there to pander. Not that I think the character is uninteresting, just that I don't get the sense that there is much of a grand plan for him or for Super in general. They seem to be making everything up as they go.

I doubt that Super Broly will get a second movie, but if the anime ever comes back, I can definitely see him losing control and the others having to knock him out to stop his rampage. I don't think he'll ever become a true villain, though. Just a Hulk-like character who is just as dangerous to his allies as to his enemies when he goes all out. Maybe they'll even make him Beerus' heir, although giving him Ultra Ego would kinda make Vegeta's transformation seem less special. Imagine if our first exposure to Ultra Ego in animation was with Broly. I imagine Vegeta being like, "No! That one's mine! Get your own! Every Saiyan has a unique transformation these days! We usually don't even explain what it is! Make your hair go orange or something, I don't care!"