Another live action thread (yes, I know)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Re: Another live action thread (yes, I know)

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:25 am

OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:06 pm
mecha3000 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:06 pm This has to be the most active this forum has been discussing the possibilities for live-action Dragon Ball. Thank you, Netflix (and Oda)!!! In any case, I'm just glad I'm not hitting a brick wall on here talking about live-action DB anymore. Honestly, I'm going to get flak for this, but I think the second half of Dragon Ball (Z) should be prioritized over the first, when a live-action project inevitably happens. Let's be honest with ourselves, Z is still the most iconic anime series in Dragon Ball, which means it has the greatest chance for success.

Also, despite coming out almost 15 years ago, Evolution tried adapting early DB already. I think early DB should be adapted as a Netflix series while Z gets the theatrical treatment. Ideally, both should release simultaneously or around the same time. I know how everyone on this forum is regarding the importance of early DB and I agree, but I guarantee a live-action trailer showing Goku and Piccolo fighting the Saiyans will generate more interest than a movie trailer about Goku and Bulma searching for the Dragon Balls together.

I also think the Z portion should get six movies:

1. Dragon Ball: Z - First movie briefly recaps Dragon Ball and Bardock, similarly to Kai episode 1. Extended sequence showing how Goku met Bulma and the context of what the Dragon Balls are. Toriyama manga-inspired motion panels showing Goku's adventures up until Goku vs. Piccolo Jr, shown in live-action. Goku wins, gets married and we move ahead five years (where Goku is a radish farmer missing the old days). Goku and Gohan's bond is expanded slightly, making their separation and reunion more meaningful. Gohan introduced/kidnapped at Kame House. Radtiz fight is covered mostly the same. Goku and Radtiz die. Piccolo takes and trains Gohan, forming a bond together. Krillin (a cop now) and Bulma round up Yamcha (baseball player) and Tenshinhan (on a training journey) out of retirement to train with Kami. Bulma and Roshi look for the Dragon Balls as an odd duo, giving us a Hunt for the Dragon Balls Arc in this movie. Goku finds and trains with King Kai/Kaio and is wished back. Yamcha, Tenshin, and Chaozu die and Goku returns, fighting Nappa and Vegeta. Movie ends with a bittersweet victory and Gohan, Bulma, Krillin, AND Goku (who leaves with them in this version to avoid overusing the Goku Time trope) leave for Namek. Freeza is shown in mid-credits scene.

2. Dragon Ball: Battle of Namek - Adapts Freeza Arc with some changes. This might be controversial, but maybe here Gohan dies instead of Krillin to throw the fans off? Eh, maybe not. Ends with Goku seemingly dying, but Shenron reveals he's alive. Mid-credits teases Gero building the androids.

3. Dragon Ball: The Artificial Humans - Adapts everything up to the battle with 17 and 18. Maybe, in this version Cooler and King Cold accompany Freeza to Earth before Trunks kills them all (or maybe Goku returns in time to blast Cooler into the sun). And perhaps, Androids 13, 14, 15, 21 (being based on Gero's wife), and maybe 8 factor into the story somehow. Gero and 16's backstory as father and son explored. Mid-credits reveals Imperfect Cell in a lifeless city.

4. Dragon Ball: The Cell Games - Cell introduced, absorbs 17 and 18. Sets up Cell Games and Gohan defeats him as a SSJ2 as we all know.

5. Dragon Ball: The Majin Mark - Adapts everything up until Vegeta's sacrifice. Maybe in this version Babidi forces the Dragon Team/Z-Fighters into a battle royale with the ultimate goal of reviving Boo, which can replace the pointlessness of the Tenkaichi Budokai and offer greater stakes. Maybe Gohan fights Dabra in the tournament instead of at Babidi's ship (same with Goku vs. Yakon and Vegeta vs. Pui Pui).

6. Dragon Ball: Farewell - Adapts the rest of the Boo Arc with minor changes. Maybe Kakarot is changed to Kakarotto to make Vegetto make sense.

Maybe the Freeza Arc could get one more movie to bring the total to 7 for 7 Dragon Balls (Although, I don't think it needs it with Movie 1 already being Part 1 of the sequel, in a way). And everything in the manga should take priority over GT, Battle of Gods, Super, etc.
I agree with doing the 7 for 7 Dragon Balls thing with an extra movie for the Freeza Arc. Saiyan-Freeza as a trilogy would be a fantastic way to kick off the franchise. I also think you could do a DB trilogy to start off with before doing the initial Z trilogy, though doing it as a Netflix show is also a solid idea.

I was thinking movie/season 1 would be a hybrid of Path to Power and Legend of Shen Long, with the Red Ribbon Army wrecking the village instead of Gurumes's army. I'd also change Pansy to Chichi, with the village attacked being Gyumao's. I'd also have Pilaf and his gang be bumbling side villains who somehow use the chaos of the battle to summon Shen Long, only for Oolong to interrupt them with his wish at the end (dunno if I'd still go with panties, but that way we set up Pilaf to bring back Piccolo later on and still reference the original ending to the arc).

The second movie/season would take a lot from the 21st and 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai arcs and Mystical Adventure. In fact, I'd probably do an almost straight adaptation of Mystical Adventure but use the extra runtime to add Goku and Kuririn training and not have Chaozu be the little prince (not that it wasn't a great reimagining for the film, but because it wouldn't make much sense for him to always go on training journeys with Tenshinhan and eventually fight and die in the Saiyan Arc).

The final would be an adaptation of Piccolo Daimao. Basically we would do Evolution right, and I think we'd combine the Piccolos into one character. Either that or Piccolo Junior would be introduced with the Saiyan Arc adaptation.

It may feel a bit fast tracked for people who like the manga version of events, but I think this is a solid way to cover all of OG DB in a concise movie trilogy. The OG DB films really do provide an incredibly solid blueprint that we can work from. I'd also toy with the idea of casting a young actor for Goku who, depending on how long the production timeline takes, can grow up with the role and eventually continue to play him well into adulthood, but that wouldn't be possible if we went with your idea of doing DB as a series and Z as movies simultaneously. But it's a thought nonetheless.
Honestly, your ideas for OG Dragon Ball sound perfect to me. Having the RRA be antagonists searching for the Dragon Balls in the first movie and only having one version of Piccolo are realistic and understandable changes for a movie adaptation. And even the second movie becoming a sort of The Karate Kid tournament film with Tenshinhan (replacing or combining with the first tournament that had Giran and Nam) sounds exactly like something I'd love to see in theaters. Really, good concepts, man.

Also, did anyone hear that Sean Schemmel supposedly hated live-action One Piece? I'm like, dude, shut up. The English voice of Goku ranting on a successful live-action anime adaptation is the kind of thing that could turn people away from One Piece and hurt the chances of live-action Dragon Ball.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:26 am

OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:06 pm
mecha3000 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:06 pm This has to be the most active this forum has been discussing the possibilities for live-action Dragon Ball. Thank you, Netflix (and Oda)!!! In any case, I'm just glad I'm not hitting a brick wall on here talking about live-action DB anymore. Honestly, I'm going to get flak for this, but I think the second half of Dragon Ball (Z) should be prioritized over the first, when a live-action project inevitably happens. Let's be honest with ourselves, Z is still the most iconic anime series in Dragon Ball, which means it has the greatest chance for success.

Also, despite coming out almost 15 years ago, Evolution tried adapting early DB already. I think early DB should be adapted as a Netflix series while Z gets the theatrical treatment. Ideally, both should release simultaneously or around the same time. I know how everyone on this forum is regarding the importance of early DB and I agree, but I guarantee a live-action trailer showing Goku and Piccolo fighting the Saiyans will generate more interest than a movie trailer about Goku and Bulma searching for the Dragon Balls together.

I also think the Z portion should get six movies:

1. Dragon Ball: Z - First movie briefly recaps Dragon Ball and Bardock, similarly to Kai episode 1. Extended sequence showing how Goku met Bulma and the context of what the Dragon Balls are. Toriyama manga-inspired motion panels showing Goku's adventures up until Goku vs. Piccolo Jr, shown in live-action. Goku wins, gets married and we move ahead five years (where Goku is a radish farmer missing the old days). Goku and Gohan's bond is expanded slightly, making their separation and reunion more meaningful. Gohan introduced/kidnapped at Kame House. Radtiz fight is covered mostly the same. Goku and Radtiz die. Piccolo takes and trains Gohan, forming a bond together. Krillin (a cop now) and Bulma round up Yamcha (baseball player) and Tenshinhan (on a training journey) out of retirement to train with Kami. Bulma and Roshi look for the Dragon Balls as an odd duo, giving us a Hunt for the Dragon Balls Arc in this movie. Goku finds and trains with King Kai/Kaio and is wished back. Yamcha, Tenshin, and Chaozu die and Goku returns, fighting Nappa and Vegeta. Movie ends with a bittersweet victory and Gohan, Bulma, Krillin, AND Goku (who leaves with them in this version to avoid overusing the Goku Time trope) leave for Namek. Freeza is shown in mid-credits scene.

2. Dragon Ball: Battle of Namek - Adapts Freeza Arc with some changes. This might be controversial, but maybe here Gohan dies instead of Krillin to throw the fans off? Eh, maybe not. Ends with Goku seemingly dying, but Shenron reveals he's alive. Mid-credits teases Gero building the androids.

3. Dragon Ball: The Artificial Humans - Adapts everything up to the battle with 17 and 18. Maybe, in this version Cooler and King Cold accompany Freeza to Earth before Trunks kills them all (or maybe Goku returns in time to blast Cooler into the sun). And perhaps, Androids 13, 14, 15, 21 (being based on Gero's wife), and maybe 8 factor into the story somehow. Gero and 16's backstory as father and son explored. Mid-credits reveals Imperfect Cell in a lifeless city.

4. Dragon Ball: The Cell Games - Cell introduced, absorbs 17 and 18. Sets up Cell Games and Gohan defeats him as a SSJ2 as we all know.

5. Dragon Ball: The Majin Mark - Adapts everything up until Vegeta's sacrifice. Maybe in this version Babidi forces the Dragon Team/Z-Fighters into a battle royale with the ultimate goal of reviving Boo, which can replace the pointlessness of the Tenkaichi Budokai and offer greater stakes. Maybe Gohan fights Dabra in the tournament instead of at Babidi's ship (same with Goku vs. Yakon and Vegeta vs. Pui Pui).

6. Dragon Ball: Farewell - Adapts the rest of the Boo Arc with minor changes. Maybe Kakarot is changed to Kakarotto to make Vegetto make sense.

Maybe the Freeza Arc could get one more movie to bring the total to 7 for 7 Dragon Balls (Although, I don't think it needs it with Movie 1 already being Part 1 of the sequel, in a way). And everything in the manga should take priority over GT, Battle of Gods, Super, etc.
I agree with doing the 7 for 7 Dragon Balls thing with an extra movie for the Freeza Arc. Saiyan-Freeza as a trilogy would be a fantastic way to kick off the franchise. I also think you could do a DB trilogy to start off with before doing the initial Z trilogy, though doing it as a Netflix show is also a solid idea.

I was thinking movie/season 1 would be a hybrid of Path to Power and Legend of Shen Long, with the Red Ribbon Army wrecking the village instead of Gurumes's army. I'd also change Pansy to Chichi, with the village attacked being Gyumao's. I'd also have Pilaf and his gang be bumbling side villains who somehow use the chaos of the battle to summon Shen Long, only for Oolong to interrupt them with his wish at the end (dunno if I'd still go with panties, but that way we set up Pilaf to bring back Piccolo later on and still reference the original ending to the arc).

The second movie/season would take a lot from the 21st and 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai arcs and Mystical Adventure. In fact, I'd probably do an almost straight adaptation of Mystical Adventure but use the extra runtime to add Goku and Kuririn training and not have Chaozu be the little prince (not that it wasn't a great reimagining for the film, but because it wouldn't make much sense for him to always go on training journeys with Tenshinhan and eventually fight and die in the Saiyan Arc).

The final would be an adaptation of Piccolo Daimao. Basically we would do Evolution right, and I think we'd combine the Piccolos into one character. Either that or Piccolo Junior would be introduced with the Saiyan Arc adaptation.

It may feel a bit fast tracked for people who like the manga version of events, but I think this is a solid way to cover all of OG DB in a concise movie trilogy. The OG DB films really do provide an incredibly solid blueprint that we can work from. I'd also toy with the idea of casting a young actor for Goku who, depending on how long the production timeline takes, can grow up with the role and eventually continue to play him well into adulthood, but that wouldn't be possible if we went with your idea of doing DB as a series and Z as movies simultaneously. But it's a thought nonetheless.
Honestly, your ideas for OG Dragon Ball sound perfect to me. Having the RRA be antagonists searching for the Dragon Balls in the first movie and only having one version of Piccolo in the third movie are realistic and understandable changes for a movie adaptation. And even the second movie becoming a sort of The Karate Kid tournament film with Tenshinhan (replacing or combining with the first tournament that had Giran and Nam) sounds exactly like something I'd love to see in theaters. Really, good concepts, man.

Also, did anyone hear that Sean Schemmel supposedly hated live-action One Piece? I'm like, dude, shut up. The English voice of Goku ranting on a successful live-action anime adaptation is the kind of thing that could turn people away from Netflix One Piece and hurt the chances of live-action Dragon Ball.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE3Cc3bb-fk

Have you seen Voltes V 5 Legacy mecha 3000? This is another show that is marvelous live action translation of an anime.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:17 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:26 am Also, did anyone hear that Sean Schemmel supposedly hated live-action One Piece? I'm like, dude, shut up. The English voice of Goku ranting on a successful live-action anime adaptation is the kind of thing that could turn people away from Netflix One Piece and hurt the chances of live-action Dragon Ball.
He's allowed an opinion. His job isn't to pimp for Netflix.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:16 am

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:17 pm
mecha3000 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:26 am Also, did anyone hear that Sean Schemmel supposedly hated live-action One Piece? I'm like, dude, shut up. The English voice of Goku ranting on a successful live-action anime adaptation is the kind of thing that could turn people away from Netflix One Piece and hurt the chances of live-action Dragon Ball.
I know, I was slightly joking. But still, I'm so used to an abundance of negativity surrounding the possibility of live action anime adaptations (from many on this forum PRIOR to Netflix One Piece, a series many thought couldn't work in live action) and now that One Piece is finally changing the conversation, Sean Schemmel of all people speaks out against it.

If this was a Marvel/DC movie, I wouldn't care at all because we have so many at this point. But One Piece is the first successful anime adaptation (at least one that is widely known). So yeah, I want people to be positive about this so we get more (like live action Dragon Ball again!!!!!!!)

But I do agree that Sean Schemmel is entitled to his own opinion.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:39 am

Another thing to think about is Marvel and DC aren't one to one adaptations. They take from the source material what they want and change things significantly to suit the time and medium. DB is a singular story. And most of the reactions weren't "it can't work" but rather "it won't be as good". What does a live action adaptation give you as a long time fan that you aren't getting in either the anime or manga?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:46 am

mecha3000 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:16 am
ABED wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:17 pm
I know, I was slightly joking. But still, I'm so used to an abundance of negativity surrounding the possibility of live action anime adaptations (from many on this forum PRIOR to Netflix One Piece, a series many thought couldn't work in live action) and now that One Piece is finally changing the conversation, Sean Schemmel of all people speaks out against it.

If this was a Marvel/DC movie, I wouldn't care at all because we have so many at this point. But One Piece is the first successful anime adaptation (at least one that is widely known). So yeah, I want people to be positive about this so we get more (like live action Dragon Ball again!!!!!!!)

But I do agree that Sean Schemmel is entitled to his own opinion.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww no comment of Voltes V Legacy? It shows Dragon Ball can be done right even on a budget.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:36 am

mecha3000 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:25 am

Also, did anyone hear that Sean Schemmel supposedly hated live-action One Piece? I'm like, dude, shut up. The English voice of Goku ranting on a successful live-action anime adaptation is the kind of thing that could turn people away from One Piece and hurt the chances of live-action Dragon Ball.
I can almost assure you more people are going to watch the Netflix One Piece adaptation than know who the hell Sean Schemmel is without it being clarified to them "voice of Goku in English Dragon Ball Z"

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:40 am

Turns out, when you actually base your adaptation on the source material instead of stripping it of everything that made the source material memorable and successful, you get a good show out of it. Who could have guessed? Yes, Dragon Ball absolutely could work in live action, especially if the people in charge actually took Toriyama's advice seriously. That is, assuming Toriyama wasn't so turned off by the first attempt that he'd just refuse to have anything to do with it.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:02 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:40 am Turns out, when you actually base your adaptation on the source material instead of stripping it of everything that made the source material memorable and successful, you get a good show out of it. Who could have guessed? Yes, Dragon Ball absolutely could work in live action, especially if the people in charge actually took Toriyama's advice seriously. That is, assuming Toriyama wasn't so turned off by the first attempt that he'd just refuse to have anything to do with it.
I think the main problem with a live action DB show would be Toriyama's lack of commitment/interest.

Oda clearly cared about One Piece enough to force them to do it right. The show was planned for years in advance.

Somehow I just don't see Toriyama caring enough. He's also made some questionable choices with his characters in recent years.

It would have to come down to the showrunners being genuine fans of DB and doing it right because they actually care.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:04 pm

Netflix at this point just keeps making good show after good show. Avatar and Yu Yu Hakusho will be the true test for how they handle adaptations.

Then I'll get upset if Netflix knocks out the oart with those two as well and Disney will announce their doing live action Dragonball instead if Netflix and will screw it up.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:25 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:04 pm Netflix at this point just keeps making good show after good show. Avatar and Yu Yu Hakusho will be the true test for how they handle adaptations.

Then I'll get upset if Netflix knocks out the oart with those two as well and Disney will announce their doing live action Dragonball instead if Netflix and will screw it up.
Disney never had the Dragon Ball rights. Fox lost the Dragon Ball IP long before the Disney bought out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:25 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:04 pm Netflix at this point just keeps making good show after good show. Avatar and Yu Yu Hakusho will be the true test for how they handle adaptations.

Disney never had the Dragon Ball rights. Fox lost the Dragon Ball IP long before the Disney bought out.
Disney could get the rights. I know they don't currently have them. My fear was they would end up with them before Netflix if the live action anime series catch on.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:08 pm

Why would Disney want to make a DB movie?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:22 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:18 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:25 pm

Disney could get the rights. I know they don't currently have them. My fear was they would end up with them before Netflix if the live action anime series catch on.
With Sony owning the company that holds the North American rights to the anime its really unlikely Disney would get the film rights.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:32 am

I have finally watched One Piece, 5 episodes so far. I don't know how much the current Hollywood fatigue plays in and lot of the criticisms I had on Ahsoka after episode 8 aired (With all the great vision, better Stagecraft and respect to source magterial, the writing and strategy behind the scenes simply suck. LFL shall throw away their mystery box approach as well.),
BUT I actually love the show!
When I wrote to my longtime friend about his opinion, who is a fan of DB since our elementary school days, he wrote me back:
''Yeah and it is a great start. I haven't even saw the original, but I'd like to see Dragon Ball being treated like this!''

Cowboy Bebop had some uncanny feeling and I didn't go past first episode, maybe I'll give it a chance.
But One Piece... Great casting, true to the source material with visuals and when it looks kinda cheap or super stylized, the writing does the heavy lifting. This is IMHO the crash course in writing, that all the decision makers behind past projects, like the 3D Saint Seiya and other projects should take inspiration from.

All the main plot beats are there, all the designs are there and even tho, animation is more expresive and can leverage details more in it's simplicity, these tiny details, like Kuro correcting his glasses with fingers pointing up, foreshadowing him wearing his blade gloves, is super cool. It is definitely a big surprise to me.
From start to finish, including the music, that fits the series really well and I had this bias coming into it, knowing the source material and anime (I still prefer the OG Buggy voiced by Pilaf/Raditz actor and legend Shigeru Chiba with his insane vocal range, but the actor did him justice in this version). Also the music is written on point, is consistent, fits the atmosphere really well and while I do like the music from original anime, including the opening song, it's less consistent thanks to the format of having written set of cues and then adding new ones from movies, that are usually written for the specific movie and not the general show.

I could probably go on and on about the show and be super positive, which is a rare occurence these days, but I can't wait for another season and how they depict the future arcs, that are getting even more insane (I loved that horror themed island in anime or wonder how Gear Second will look, if they go that far.).
Just one last shout out, the actor that plays Luffy, is perfect! If they managed to adapt 45 anime episodes in 8 episodes of live action, I wonder, if they can do another 50 in next season.
The biggest problem I had with One Piece is the insane number of episodes and ton of filler and really long arcs, which made me drop the watch after Ace being killed somewhere around 500-600 episodes, as I don't even remember.
It's a blast.

I still don't believe that Dragon Ball should be this huge spectacle, like DBE was trying hard to pull off in all it's wrong ways and super stylize it in some weird world, but respectful to it's Journey To The West and Wuxia influences, starting with Kid Goku and Bulma's adventure and if being handled like One Piece, well, it might work wonders.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:42 am

I just found out that Yu Yu Hakusho is getting a live action series.
https://www.netflix.com/gi/title/81243969

Looks like more anime are getting a live action series.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:01 pm

After the success of Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece and Yu Yu Hakusho live actions, I would like Dragon Ball to have another shot in this field.

It's obvious times have changed. Despite people still being skeptical, a live action of an anime or video game (The Last of Us) doesn't automatically mean it will be trash. Not anymore with all these recent successes.

The truth is we were also unlucky with the staff working on Dragon Ball Evolution.

If they gave it another try nowadays with good budget and staff, who actually care and respect the source material, I think we could have a good product.

Not a must, but have it debut on Netflix would be a smart a move too because it would reach a lot of people easily.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:15 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:01 pm The truth is we were also unlucky with the staff working on Dragon Ball Evolution.
Plus good CGI (or at the very least servicable) is simply easier to produce nowadays, budgets allocated to TV shows increased too.

And the plethora of bombs & bad adaptations in the 90s/early 00s of comic books, games etc thaught the entertainment industry across the world a lot how important good script and care for the original material is to achieve good results

I will say tho that Chatwin and Rossum were very good picks in Evolution, too bad it was such a bad project otherwise :/

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:27 pm

It could actually work. Just don't make it a Japanese show because they are notoriously terrible actors.