Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:03 pm

Thank goodness Adult Swim started going into a more kid friendly thing and now airs old CN shows alongside hardcore Adult Cartoons like Rick and Morty. Because otherwise this would have not fit that block and I think they will want to air it.

AND THANK GOD TELEFUTURO AND LATELE AIR DRAGON BALL IN PARAGUAY. I am so happy about this.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:04 pm

sigmasigma wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:58 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:31 pm Shin and Kibito are separated in the trailer, so this must be Post-BoG era. Unless the magic somehow unfused them too.
Would it be possible to be right after BoG? Burma has BoG hairstyle rather than the post-RoF one. And the scene in the trailer look like Bulma's birthday party in BoG too
It would be really convoluted if they try to fit this in the existing timeline. It would mean we have all of the Super events and this Daimao stuff between beating Buu and EoZ.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:06 pm

Keeping up with Toriyama's spirit of fucking with the fandom, this should take place between SH and EoZ.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:08 pm

sigmasigma wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:58 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:31 pm Shin and Kibito are separated in the trailer, so this must be Post-BoG era. Unless the magic somehow unfused them too.
Would it be possible to be right after BoG? Burma has BoG hairstyle rather than the post-RoF one. And the scene in the trailer look like Bulma's birthday party in BoG too
In the Anime continuity, they defused some time between the RoF and U6 arcs (while in the Manga it was during BoG).

Since this whole convention is about Toei/Anime (see how the Manga-only arcs were skipped in the initial slideshow), it wouldn't make sense to take the Manga continuity into account.

Since Shin and Kibito are defused in the trailer, the earliest the series could take place is in the time gap between RoF and U6 arcs.

This could take place right after BoG and the wish simply unfused Kibito Kai, but I doubt that Toriyama would pass the opportunity to make Kid UI Goku.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:09 pm

I really hope this is a short series because turning them all into kids is the lamest shit ever.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:10 pm

It looked better than I expected but I'd still rather have DBS Season 2 (6 YEARS WITHOUT MORO)

I'm mostly disappointed at the fact that there's STILL no BT4 news. It may be in early development, but they won't even acknowledge that it still exists. What the hell bamco?

Also, where's Beerus?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:12 pm

Last edited by UpFromTheSkies on Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:13 pm

Zephyr wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:44 pm If it was just size-changing, then why are Goten and Trunks babies?

Honestly, why are Goten and Trunks babies? It clearly didn't de-age people by a set amount of years, because Roshi looks to be as youthful as most of the rest of them. But if Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, etc. are turned no younger than Roshi despite the vast gulf in age, why are Goten and Trunks turned younger than Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, etc. despite being much closer in age?
Yeah it seems like a weird spell that turns them into younger versions of how they look NOW (just look at Chi Chi and Bulma) not an actual time reversal or de-aging spell. If anything Goten and Trunks should be turned back into kids but with their Super Heroes hairstyles instead.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:15 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:54 pmTho, thinking about it now. Did they show young roshi in the manga (like a flashback or photo?) This is all I can recall atm in regards to his hair lol
No idea anymore. If I were to guess, I don't think so. It would be kind of cool to see Muten Roshi with hair again, though.
Psajdak wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:03 pmDragon Ball GT is canon.
Dragon Ball Daima is not-canon.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:08 pmSince Shin and Kibito are defused in the trailer, the earliest the series could take place is in the time gap between RoF and U6 arcs.
The outfits they wear prevent that. Goku and Vegeta were wearing different clothes during that time.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:16 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:10 pm It looked better than I expected but I'd still rather have DBS Season 2 (6 YEARS WITHOUT MORO)

I'm mostly disappointed at the fact that there's STILL no BT4 news. It may be in early development, but they won't even acknowledge that it still exists. What the hell bamco?

Also, where's Beerus?
Considering Supreme Kai (Shin) is also de-aged, I wouldn't be surprised if Beerus and Whis showed up and were also children.

I would have taken virtually anything other than this. Go to Planet Salad, do Broly 2, adapt the Moro arc, do something with Black Frieza, do something post end-of-Z. Dragon Ball Babies is the lamest idea they could have gone with.

Taglyn

Post by Taglyn » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:21 pm

Umm, I don't know what to think about this. I've been mostly on the hopeful side of things as far as the rumours were concerned, but now that the teaser is finally out, I can't help but be a bit disappointed with the way it looks…

The animation sure looks clean and the concept has caught my attention ever since I've first heard about it, but when it comes to the colour palette and character designs, you can definitely tell Toriyama's heavily involved this time around. And I don't know how unpopular this opinion is around here, but I've always preferred Toei colours from the DB and Z eras rather than anything Dragon Ball related he ever coloured himself. So it's a bit jarring, to say the least, to see his usual manga palette and modern artstyle being officially animated for once. But then again, even if I don't personally think such things fit very well outside his own illustrations, at least it's something different from most of what we're used to seeing animated, so it can't be that bad! I just hope it doesn't stick after this, and would've much preferred it had they went with the more faithful (to the anime) colours and artstyle shown in the Majin saga flashbacks or whatever those panels were at the middle of the teaser.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:21 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:15 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:08 pmSince Shin and Kibito are defused in the trailer, the earliest the series could take place is in the time gap between RoF and U6 arcs.
The outfits they wear prevent that. Goku and Vegeta were wearing different clothes during that time.
And wasn't Goku surprised when he saw the two unfused in that arc as well? As I said, I think this can happen at any moment in the history, but just not before Champa arc
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:24 pm

Why are we speculating it takes place anytime before After Super Heroes? It's been mostly all linear so far

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:26 pm

Looks fun, but.. it should have moved the story forward, just simply have it happen post Super Hero instead of another ambigious canon.

They missed a good chance to have Goku and Pan interact and this being her first silly little adventure, maybe the wish (spell?) somehow not affecting her.
Last edited by Xeogran on Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:27 pm

If they also de-age Ro Kaio Shin then it's going to be exactly like that Futurama episode.

supershonen

Post by supershonen » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:28 pm

Dragonball Dalaima?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:36 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:21 pmAnd wasn't Goku surprised when he saw the two unfused in that arc as well? As I said, I think this can happen at any moment in the history, but just not before Champa arc
I don't remember if there was any reaction to their separation, so I will take your word for it. The earliest this can take place is around Future Trunks saga, a bit before or at any point after it. There is actually a huge amount of time between Future Trunks saga and Universe Survival saga for a thing like this to happen.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:24 pm Why are we speculating it takes place anytime before After Super Heroes? It's been mostly all linear so far
Well, Vegeta is using the suit he used from 2008/BOG to Middle Granolla arc (excluding FnF and U6) rather than the suit he wears in late Granolla arc and continues to wear in Super Hero, almost everyone else also have their standard Super TV designs, and most of those designs are ditched after the ToP
But hey, maybe Vegeta and everyone just decided to switch back to their 2013-2018 clothes because, yes, we don't know
Also Goku is wearing his gi from the Super manga, the one without the symbols, from Cell and Boo sagas, he switches to his gi with the symbols in Super Hero (both movie and manga), but that could be all just a visual thing.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:42 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:00 pm So this is basically Dragon Ball Babies. Sigh... I'll give it a try, but the concept to me sounds so boring. There is so much stuff they could do in this universe, so many loose threads they've teased us with without a hint of intention to actually follow through on them. Turning everyone into babies is one of those bottom of the barrel ideas you use when you can't think of anything better to do. Why is THIS the thing to get so much visual polish? This is all very confusing to me.
Other than "the gang is magically turned back into kids" we don't actually know anything about the plot of the series, so I'm not sure why you're acting like the full-scope of the series is fully laid out now.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:43 pm

So the aesthetic and overall vibe is nothing like what your average gymbro expects or wants from Dragon Ball? And Toriyama's heavily involved?

I'm 200% on board, can't wait.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):