Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:22 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:08 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:13 pm Music is something really important for me, so I hope we get a good composer. Liked Sumitomo work in DBS TV anime, however the rest of his work not really. Would love to have back Super Hero composer.
He's presently working on a new Godzilla movie and has a lot of other projects he normally does in general, too many to be involved with any more DB material, so that's really not likely to happen.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:37 pm I forgot to consider the composer of the music score. I don't know if they'll go with Saitou Naoki again
Ditto the above reply, also where did you get that romanization from? It's 佐藤 not 斉藤/斎藤/齊藤/齋藤.
Takanashi Yasuharu. I really enjoyed Takanashi's composition for the Dragon Ball Kai song Let It Burn, and Takanashi is historically just an amazing composer.
He's working on the new Kinnikuman series by Production I.G.
It's a typo. I have had Oshi no Ko on the brain a lot and there is a scene where Ai mistakenly calls her adoptive father 'Satou-san', rather than 'Saitou-san', and my fingers decided to do that.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:25 pm

Three years of production time, most care Toei has ever given to DB, Toriyama involved more than ever before, gorgeous animation and backgrounds…for this. GT redux? I don’t get the obsession with kid Goku. DB hasn’t been an adventure gag manga in over 30 years. I don’t get why they’re so hellbent on returning to that. Are we going to see Roshi perving on children?

Is EoZ the heat death of the DB universe? Are we ever going to move beyond that?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:27 pm

I have many thoughts on this reveal.

I would've been so sore if this had been announced years ago when I was still actively making fan-art/fan-comics because Goku being turned into a child was one of the parts of GT that I disliked the most. I wasn't a fan of it then and still am not due to the types of stories I liked to tell.

But because this is happening now, and on the heels of a handful of other DB stuff that, rather than dislike, just didn't do anything for me, personally, I'm instead kind of amused by the choice to ignore multiple manga arcs and swing for the fences. Turning everyone into kids, not just Goku, helps in how absurd it is. I get where they're coming from with the nostalgia of kid Goku, but feel there's probably less divisive ways to celebrate the franchise's 40th.

That said I do like the idea of bringing back an adventure aspect to the series. I was so excited for the possibility of an adventure during Granolah that never ended up happening.

The animation looks nice. I like Goku's new dougi and boots here. Could've been more experimental with that, but it still looks good. Color schemes are vivid. I can deal with cgi ships--rarely does anyone animate complex vehicles anymore. I really enjoyed Ajay's livestream, that was a lot of fun.

I wonder who gets to keep their adulthood because who's taking care of baby Goten and Trunks if everyone is a child? The easy answer is Capsule Corp staff since none of them appeared to be turned into kids. Possible fun answer is adult Gohan since I don't think Gohan was in the trailer and he may have escaped the wish.

Final thought is I'm impressed they released something like this a whole year in advance. Like, we've got all the way until next fall to stew or contemplate or anticipate this GT, but not GT. Amazing. Not even mad. Fascinated by just how bizarre this all is.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:28 pm

snaku wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:25 pm Three years of production time, most care Toei has ever given to DB, Toriyama involved more than ever before, gorgeous animation and backgrounds…for this. GT redux? I don’t get the obsession with kid Goku. DB hasn’t been an adventure gag manga in over 30 years. I don’t get why they’re so hellbent on returning to that.

Is EoZ the heat death of the DB universe? Are we ever going to move beyond that?
Series can do more than one thing.

The obsession with harping on the de-aging thing is weird. It's not that big a deal, and hardly going to determine the quality of the series.
She/Her
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:29 pm

I don’t know what the discussions regarding the timeline are about. I would’ve assumed this is meant to take place post-Super Hero at the very least. I can’t think of any worthwhile reason to go backwards in the story.

Anyway, I think I’ll take this over bringing back the DBS anime. DBS has long since gotten tiresome for me.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:37 pm

Goten and Trunks getting screwed as usual
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:38 pm

We have to wait a YEAR to see if this is any good? :x

thats a lot of time to ask me to wait for this, if this came out in a few months ill would manage, but a whole year with no DB content just to watch Dragon Ball kidZ? so no new movie or Super 2 in the next 2-3 years and on top of that I have to wait for a year just to see if Daima is any good or is just Dragon Ball GO with biutifull animation... great!

I would have been a lot more entusiastic about this if this was a plus to Super 2 or a new movie or at least came out in half a year and not a full one, but this is too little to ask me to be hype and wait for a FUCKING YEAR!

I dont want to be like the guy on the trailer that keep saiying "we dont want this" but asking me to wait for a full year and basically confirm nothing more is coming in 2-3 years is too much for me.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:39 pm

Psajdak wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:20 pm Jesus Christ, we were having a plot about Saiyans doing nice things, helping people, and saving world since the very start of series.

Like, Dragon Ball is pretty much just that. :(
That's a very reductive way of looking at it. There's a lot that could be done with the Universe 6 Saiyans. If the anime were still around, we could have had a short mini arc with Kale and Broly meeting and learning to control their anger while fighting. Having essentially two Brolys in the same space just sounds hilarious. Imagine them losing control and being reduced to one-word sentences. Vegeta's visit to Sadala could be a two-episode story where the king shows him around and ends up asking Vegeta to help their warriors shape up, like he did for Cabba. Some evil Saiyans show up and try to usurp the throne, thinking they should rule rather than serve. Only problem would be that Vegeta would be very overpowered for this situation, but I could easily see him refusing to get involved, letting the other Saiyans fight their own battles.

Or they could have just NOT had Vegeta promise to visit Sadala, and not have given us the expectation that it would actually happen. lol

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:42 pm

For now the only thing that has me really worried is the timeline placement...is it crazy to think that this actually ignores Super completely and that it will take place right after the Boo Saga?
I don't see the problem in people discussing the timeline, let's remember that there was also a rumour about the series taking place before Battle of Gods.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:44 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:38 pm We have to wait a YEAR to see if this is any good? :x

thats a lot of time to ask me to wait for this, if this came out in a few months ill would manage, but a whole year with no DB content just to watch Dragon Ball kidZ? so no new movie or Super 2 in the next 2-3 years and on top of that I have to wait for a year just to see if Daima is any good or is just Dragon Ball GO with biutifull animation... great!

I would have been a lot more entusiastic about this if this was a plus to Super 2 or a new movie or at least came out in half a year and not a full one, but this is too little to ask me to be hype and wait for a FUCKING YEAR!

I dont want to be like the guy on the trailer that keep saiying "we dont want this" but asking me to wait for a full year and basically confirm nothing more is coming in 2-3 years is too much for me.
Do you SERIOUSLY want the horrid animation from the first episodes of Super to come back? Because that what will happen if the animators dont have the time to do their mojo. Horrid shit. And it looks like the animation quality WILL make or break the series.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:45 pm

I'm glad this turned out to be real. I actually have high hopes for it, though I think it's important to take it as its own thing, not "Super 2". This could well be the start of another new slate for the franchise, though it's more likely to be a one-off for the 40th anniversary. As far as I could see, there's a complete absence of Beerus, Whis and other Super era characters so far, outside of the opening montage.

Speaking of the montage, I was pleasantly surprised that GT was highlighted. It's funny that they conspicuously avoided showing kid Goku from that show, hoping that nobody draws too many connections :lol:

The move to de-age EVERYONE took me by surprise. Of course, this raises plenty of questions. Shin and Kibito being defused points towards this being set after Battle of Gods, but the fact that they look especially shocked might suggest that the wish caused them to separate. Also conspicuously absent are the Pilaf Gang, whose de-ageing was never properly explained in any Toei animations... the closest we get is a bonus chapter in the Super manga that shows how it went down in the Future timeline. Maybe DAIMA is Toriyama's "official" story for how Pilaf became a kid (while apparently wishing the same curse on all of Goku's friends)? God, the idea that Super has its own "untold chapters" between the major arcs... it's like a Droste painting.

The new world they're going to be exploring is probably the Demon Realm and I'm certainly hoping that the villains (whose HQ definitely gives me Garlic Junior vibes) are somehow related to the Makaioshin; that thread needs to be pulled already. People forget that the Demon Realm was the original "parallel universe" before all this multiverse shit.

Anyway, the art style looks great and it's great to see how deeply involved Toriyama has been with this project. Compared to Super Hero, the difference seems pretty stark. There's evidence to suggest that Toriyama has been over the whole Super branding for some time and DAIMA has been his primary focus. Bring it on, says I.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:45 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:38 pm We have to wait a YEAR to see if this is any good? :x

You should go have a more fun life instead of waiting a year for any piece of pop culture media.

Just go off and don't think about Dragon Ball for a year. You'll love it: there's less stress.
She/Her
bisexual milf

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:53 pm

It was hilarious to see all the characters de-aged.

Mr. Satan without a mustache, Master Roshi looks like Krillin without the dots. smol Ox-King.

I'm open to it. The inevitable GT comparisons are there.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:03 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:42 pm For now the only thing that has me really worried is the timeline placement... is it crazy to think that this actually ignores Super completely and that it will take place right after the Boo Saga?
I don't see the problem in people discussing the timeline, let's remember that there was also a rumour about the series taking place before Battle of Gods.
There are worse things in life.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:22 pm It's a typo. I have had Oshi no Ko on the brain a lot and there is a scene where Ai mistakenly calls her adoptive father 'Satou-san', rather than 'Saitou-san', and my fingers decided to do that.
I understand. Part of it was me wanting to list how many variations of "Saitou" there are, I must admit :p

But yeah, neither Sato nor Takanashi would be able to stick with a long term DB project due to having a lot going on in their schedule.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:45 pm You should go have a more fun life instead of waiting a year for any piece of pop culture media.

Just go off and don't think about Dragon Ball for a year. You'll love it: there's less stress.
I concur, there's plenty of other things that can be done in that time, other stuff to check out. It's cool that they're extending its debut by a year's time anyway.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:14 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:45 pmAlso conspicuously absent are the Pilaf Gang, whose de-ageing was never properly explained in any Toei animations... the closest we get is a bonus chapter in the Super manga that shows how it went down in the Future timeline. Maybe DAIMA is Toriyama's "official" story for how Pilaf became a kid (while apparently wishing the same curse on all of Goku's friends)? God, the idea that Super has its own "untold chapters" between the major arcs... it's like a Droste painting.
Unless I'm mistaken, Battle of Gods (and/or the anime adaptation) had a short exchange between them, where Mai chastised Pilaf for wasting a wish on becoming kids again, but Pilaf thought it would be pointless to rule if they were too old to enjoy it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:17 pm

153 episodes of original Dragon Ball and 3 movies

291 episodes of DBZ, 15 movies, and 2 tv specials

A 10th anniversary film

64 episodes of GT and a tv special

131 episodes of Super and 2 movies

I dunno, feels like there's plenty of Dragon Ball content if you really need a fix that bad before next year.

Julie's suggestion is also valid.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:23 pm

You know what would be kinda funny? If Toriyama did this to create an opportunity to physically de-age everyone, and make it so that they're all inexplicably somewhat physically younger by the time they get aged back up, thus in a roundabout way "fixing" his idea of the cast being too old by the time of End of Z.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:27 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:44 pm Do you SERIOUSLY want the horrid animation from the first episodes of Super to come back? Because that what will happen if the animators dont have the time to do their mojo. Horrid shit. And it looks like the animation quality WILL make or break the series.
YES!!! I rater have Dragon Ball come back with half as good the animation if that means half the wait, I reater have Super 2 have the TOP animation with some bad looking episodes and some good ones if that means I dont have to wait 4 years or wathever is going to take, Dragon Ball is not just animation and the important parts always look good, Z had a lot of bad looking episodes and is still the number 1 Dragon Ball series for manny.

People are too fixated on how things look these days. science the wano arc in One Piece fans want that animation for DB, and I understand not wanting DB to look completely horrybad, but Dragon Ball is a lot more than pretty animation, and I rather see the story progress and have it on air with the old Super animation, than Die of old age before it gets animated just to look at the pretty colors and movement.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:45 pm Just go off and don't think about Dragon Ball for a year. You'll love it: there's less stress.
Not gonna happen, but thanks for your opinion I guess...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:31 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:27 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:44 pm Do you SERIOUSLY want the horrid animation from the first episodes of Super to come back? Because that what will happen if the animators dont have the time to do their mojo. Horrid shit. And it looks like the animation quality WILL make or break the series.
YES!!! I rater have Dragon Ball come back with half as good the animation if that means half the wait, I reater have Super 2 have the TOP animation with some bad looking episodes and some good ones if that means I dont have to wait 4 years or wathever is going to take, Dragon Ball is not just animation and the important parts always look good, Z had a lot of bad looking episodes and is still the number 1 Dragon Ball series for manny.

People are too fixated on how things look these days. science the wano arc in One Piece fans want that animation for DB, and I understand not wanting DB to look completely horrybad, but Dragon Ball is a lot more than pretty animation, and I rather see the story progress and have it on air with the old Super animation, than Die of old age before it gets animated just to look at the pretty colors and movement.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:45 pm Just go off and don't think about Dragon Ball for a year. You'll love it: there's less stress.
Not gonna happen, but thanks for your opinion I guess...
Well then I am glad its not your call to decide when this should come out.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: