Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:37 am

supershonen wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:26 amThe only thing I have been worried is, what if fans don't like it and it flops like the super hero movie?
Super Hero flopped? News to me.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:45 am

I'm not really sure how to feel about the concept. Personally, I don't really like "turning everyone into kids" plot lines. I often find them pretty annoying and I think they can quickly wear out their welcome.

With that said, I do appreciate that there does seem to be an actual structure and story in mind. The comments of it being like a JRPG are also really promising to me. I think thats definitely something I'd love to see.

I just feel like it could all have been done with the characters still as adults(I think DBS Super Heroes was a great example of Toriyama humour still working fine with adult characters). I don't really need to see 100 episodes of Goku and Vegeta bickering as literal children(its sort of funnier that they are bickering as grown middle aged men lol).

If it is actually going to be a bit more of a structured JRPG story, I think I'll bite the bullet around the child character stuff and try to remain positive.

If there is one thing to definitely be positive about, its that this will 100% be the best animated dragon ball series in the franchises history. Of that I have zero doubts. Everything looks gorgeous so far.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:51 am

supershonen wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:26 am They tried to do something different in Super hero and fans didn't like it.
Not true at all buddy

Also I think people worried about the release date isn't aware that we are probably getting in 2024 the Black Freeza Saga or ToP 2 Saga or Whatever the new saga in the manga is going to be (can't blame them too, Super Hero retelling could have easily made a lot of people forget about the manga)
That will fortunately prevent us from getting a half dry 2024
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:01 am

supershonen wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:26 am Why do we have to wait for another year if the series has been in production since 2020-21? I cannot wait for another year.

The only thing I have been worried is, what if fans don't like it and it flops like the super hero movie? They tried to do something different in Super hero and fans didn't like it. I have never been a fan of DBSuper, to me it is a bad looking copy of Z but it is really popular among fans and new generation. Even in my country i am always amused when I see fans liking it. "What's the appeal?". It seems fans still prefer Goku+Vegeta bleam clash spam fights and the OG db fails to generate same excitement as DBZ theme does.
High-quality works of art require not only skill and money, but time.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:02 am

I'll admit, there IS a part of me that's had the thought in the back of my mind regarding the possibility that 'Daima' might be something of a "soft reboot" (of sorts) to Super's continuity in particular.

That is to say, it'll create/be part of a different 'Super' continuity.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:11 am

I don't much see the point of worrying about continuity. We'll learn how it fits together if such is relevant.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:12 am

I also have that feeling, specially because of the absence of any Super character or concept in the trailer and that it kinda looks like it doesn't take place after BoG

Speaking of which, I forgot the detail that in the panel, they only used music specifically from Battle of Gods, could it be related to it? (Or maybe it was just because of the movie returning to theaters 8) )
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:18 am

Well as far as gauging canonicity goes, this is what I noticed,
  • No kibitokai = Takes place after Resurrection F
  • No Uub or blue gi Goku means it is probably before EoZ.
That's pretty much all we have to go off as far as I can tell. We'll see what happens when it comes out. It might not even be canon at all! And maybe that's okay.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:18 am

supershonen wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:26 am Why do we have to wait for another year if the series has been in production since 2020-21? I cannot wait for another year.

The only thing I have been worried is, what if fans don't like it and it flops like the super hero movie? They tried to do something different in Super hero and fans didn't like it. I have never been a fan of DBSuper, to me it is a bad looking copy of Z but it is really popular among fans and new generation. Even in my country i am always amused when I see fans liking it. "What's the appeal?". It seems fans still prefer Goku+Vegeta bleam clash spam fights and the OG db fails to generate same excitement as DBZ theme does.
It wasn't a flop. It was a success. Super Hero grossed 102 Million dollars World wide which is only 22 dollars less than DBS Broly's grossing. In their own Japanese Yen, it grossed more than DBS Broly. It was ¥13.8 billion compared to DBS Broly's ¥13.5 billion. Plenty of fans also liked it because of Piccolo and Gohan getting spotlight

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:39 am

Wouldn't surprise me if they took this route in order to recast the main cast. Notice how this is one of the few DB trailers in which we don't hear Goku speak. Having younger, "new" versions could be a way for fans to adjust to the changes.

Besides, Nozawa can't really do young Goku's voice that well anymore. Hearing her in the recent Kakarot DLC was hard to hear. Immense straining on her voice.

As for the recent facts about episode length and such, let's just wait and see. "Leakers" are kings of moving the goalposts (plans have changed!) and are mostly in it for money and attention.
As we have seen with the DB Magic rumors that turned about not to be a web anime about Goku and Kaioshin going on adventures. (Seriously guys, plans have changed, my sources have confirmed this!)

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:40 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:01 pm I wonder who this is, if it's just a King Piccolo re-cap since it seems they're looking at the Buu arc in the image posted above
I'm going into a leap of faith and say that, since the shot right before that seems to be one of the super dragon balls, this is going to be Zalama and we are finally going to see more of that side of DB's divinity, makes sense given this will have a focus on previously unexplored worlds like the Makai (apparently).

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:53 am

Jord wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:39 am Besides, Nozawa can't really do young Goku's voice that well anymore. Hearing her in the recent Kakarot DLC was hard to hear. Immense straining on her voice.
Didn't she speak at the panel fow a few minutes? I have no idea what she said because they had the balls to make that stupid decision of cutting the footage at those moments.
As for the recent facts about episode length and such, let's just wait and see. "Leakers" are kings of moving the goalposts (plans have changed!) and are mostly in it for money and attention.
As we have seen with the DB Magic rumors that turned about not to be a web anime about Goku and Kaioshin going on adventures. (Seriously guys, plans have changed, my sources have confirmed this!)
There's no info about it being a anime or a web anime yet, this info has yet to be proven, and Goku and Kaioshin going on adventures is true, the trailer does show it.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:54 am

Jord wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:39 am Wouldn't surprise me if they took this route in order to recast the main cast. Notice how this is one of the few DB trailers in which we don't hear Goku speak. Having younger, "new" versions could be a way for fans to adjust to the changes.

Besides, Nozawa can't really do young Goku's voice that well anymore. Hearing her in the recent Kakarot DLC was hard to hear. Immense straining on her voice.
I was thinking this as well when Goku didn't wind up talking. As morbid as this is to say, Nozawa is 86 and I would imagine the suits in charge of handling Dragon Ball's money are very much considering the possibility of Nozawa's death or retirement. Not sure that they're going to recast just yet though.
Jord wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:39 am As we have seen with the DB Magic rumors that turned about not to be a web anime about Goku and Kaioshin going on adventures. (Seriously guys, plans have changed, my sources have confirmed this!)
There's a shot in the trailer of Goku and Supreme Kai sleeping next to each other. The rumor that Goku and Supreme Kai are the main characters seems supported by the trailer, although it's still not a guarantee.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:15 am

Ashur wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:40 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:01 pm I wonder who this is, if it's just a King Piccolo re-cap since it seems they're looking at the Buu arc in the image posted above
I'm going into a leap of faith and say that, since the shot right before that seems to be one of the super dragon balls, this is going to be Zalama and we are finally going to see more of that side of DB's divinity, makes sense given this will have a focus on previously unexplored worlds like the Makai (apparently).
Hmmmm interesting, what made you guys think that it could be a Super DB? The fact that it's in space, then something like the Sun turns into the DB? could be just a visual thing, idk, but in case it's indeed a Super DB, then it's huge stuff and is potentially the only thing related to Super in this trailer so far

Now, Zalama??? I don't know what to think about it, what if it's a new character instead? There is a moment where it's also show the eye of a another unidentified character, and it seems to be a female character, remember the rumours about the series having new two characters, a boy and a girl? Could be them (the green guy doesn't look very young to be called a boy so idk)

Also the heck is this? Looks like Kami sama's spaceship to me
Edit: forget about it, I think it's just a fish, sleep must be hitting me sorry :lol: :crazy:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:00 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:28 pm
snaku wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:25 pm Three years of production time, most care Toei has ever given to DB, Toriyama involved more than ever before, gorgeous animation and backgrounds…for this. GT redux? I don’t get the obsession with kid Goku. DB hasn’t been an adventure gag manga in over 30 years. I don’t get why they’re so hellbent on returning to that.

Is EoZ the heat death of the DB universe? Are we ever going to move beyond that?
Series can do more than one thing.

The obsession with harping on the de-aging thing is weird. It's not that big a deal, and hardly going to determine the quality of the series.
I have no problem with characters de-aging at all. I didn't mind when Goku got turned into a kid in GT.

However turning Goten and Trunks into babies, that seems a bit too much. If they use that as a way to screw them up so they can't fight and train, that will be bad.

If only Goten and Trunks turned into babies and no one else, that is bad.

In DBS Anime they were most of the time not allowed to do anything, everyone stopping them or keeping secrets.

It seems they like messing with these two characters specifically for some reason. Everyone else has no problem shining.
Last edited by super michael on Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:04 am

Dragon Ball Daipers Daima was an unexpected surprise. After all this time it will be nice to get something longer than a single movie at least. I guess this will just be its own separate self-contained story meant to celebrate the series 40th anniversary.
40th... *looks in the mirror* Time needs to slow down! To think it has already been over half a decade since Super's anime ended. I still hold dreams that it may one day return. But that may not be this decade, sadly. There's always the 50th anniversary to look forward to! Maybe it will have happened by then... Maybe... Perhaps... Hopefully... If we're lucky...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:09 am

Metrite wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:04 am Dragon Ball Daipers Daima was an unexpected surprise. After all this time it will be nice to get something longer than a single movie at least. I guess this will just be its own separate self-contained story meant to celebrate the series 40th anniversary.
40th... *looks in the mirror* Time needs to slow down! To think it has already been over half a decade since Super's anime ended. I still hold dreams that it may one day return. But that may not be this decade, sadly. There's always the 50th anniversary to look forward to! Maybe it will have happened by then... Maybe... Perhaps... Hopefully... If we're lucky...
Daima - Piccolo Daima oh -
Evil - Evil King Piccolo.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:29 am

For starters, the show in trailer looks beautiful.

This is interesting news. So we've got something for the anniversary and it's nothing anyone probably expected.
No Moro, No Granolah, no Super... I wonder if this is a self-compased anniversary special limited series and wonder how many episodes are there, plus what what the time frame is.

Personally, I am not interested in another SD Dragon Ball, but with the premise of new world and teased mysteries (which I take with grain of salt based on Super), I am curious and looking forward to watch it :)
And hope that it will turn into something more interesting than another rehash/remix/best of with old series characters, including the classic villains going back again to face off in the same but slightly changed situation as it is done by countless video games for two decades by now.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:47 am

The moment I saw this, I consantly got the Power Rangers vibe (in MMPP season 3 I think, they all get changed to kids).

Is the idea good? I think we have no way to know just yet. Everyone will off course instantly think of GT and probably that's the intention.
Will it work? It really depends on the writers, animators etc.
It may flop. It may be a hit.
The only thing I am sure off now, the animation is looking gorgeous. From what we saw, I love it. It looks tons better than Super and maybe even better than Broly?
Off course it's expected they will use brilliant animation in a teaser so we'll find that one out also.

Hearing "Daima" I instanty thought of Piccolo DAIMAo, so if that is meant to be "evil" I guess it does somewhat make sense... ? :think:

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:55 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:37 am
supershonen wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:26 amThe only thing I have been worried is, what if fans don't like it and it flops like the super hero movie?
Super Hero flopped? News to me.
It didn't. It sold less than Broly, yes, but it still performed better than every other Dragon Ball movie. For what was clearly more of an experimental movie that it seems like Shueisha didn't expect to set the world on fire in the first place. Like, notice how Super Hero didn't have anywhere near as much of a marketing push? And how it didn't get its own theme song, which is, like, the most common marketing device for pretty much anything ever over in Japan? Yeah Super Hero was more of a "testing the waters" kinda thing, it seems. And it still turned a profit.