"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:14 pm

Oricon's August Top 20 by Series:

Dragon Ball Super manga is in top 10 and Toyotaro should be proud. The manga is truly a success

There's no anime since 2018, it runs on a monthly magazine which range doesn't compare to Weekly Shonen Jump where the original manga was serialized, it's in a middle of a retelling and still reaches these numbers. Crazy. And impressive.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:29 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:14 pm Oricon's August Top 20 by Series:

Dragon Ball Super manga is in top 10 and Toyotaro should be proud. The manga is truly a success

There's no anime since 2018, it runs on a monthly magazine which range doesn't compare to Weekly Shonen Jump where the original manga was serialized, it's in a middle of a retelling and still reaches these numbers. Crazy. And impressive.
Sometimes I'm not the manga biggest fan (especially on its current arc), but I have to admit it is impressive, and seeing Dragon Ball managing to stay on top after years of no anime brings a smile on my face.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:27 am

Good for dragon ball

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:43 pm

Nice! I wouldn't have expected this and yet here we are. :clap:
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:40 am

Is the next chapter going to come out on October 20th? I don't get a predicted date in the Shonen Jump app, neither for DBS nor for Boruto, which is unusual.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:49 am

The December 2023 issue of V-Jump will be released on October 20th (meaning the western digital release will be out on October 19th in our time zones).

https://vjump.shueisha.co.jp/nextinfo/index.html

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:15 am

Thanks for confirming! They probably just forgot to update the app.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:12 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:14 pm Oricon's August Top 20 by Series:
Reaching the top 10 for August was impressive since the latest volume released that month was only covering the SH prequel and start of the retelling. I saw this list for the year so far:

It's still doing pretty good for a manga with no anime adaptation. I think it could return to +1,000,000 sales per year if the manga arcs are ever adapted.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:35 pm

With the announcement of Dragon Ball Daima, it wouldn't surprise me that the potential special 100th Chapter announcement people are anticipating is that the DBS Manga is ending :lol:

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:40 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:35 pm With the announcement of Dragon Ball Daima, it wouldn't surprise me that the potential special 100th Chapter announcement people are anticipating is that the DBS Manga is ending :lol:
I'd say that's one of the two possibilities. The other one being a new arc starting. Two more chapters to wrap up Superhero leaves us with about 11 months before Daima starts airing. Toyotaro is definitely not spoiling Daima, so I guess the manga either ends or does its own thing. I guess it can take a hiatus and start again once Daima airs to cover it :lol:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:16 am

Yuji wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:40 pm I guess it can take a hiatus and start again once Daima airs to cover it :lol:
We don't even know if Daima and Super are even connected in any way (as the trailer is amibigious about it). Kibitoshin being unfused but Beerus and Whis not being present at all makes it feel like an AU story.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:39 am

Xeogran wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:16 am
Yuji wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:40 pm I guess it can take a hiatus and start again once Daima airs to cover it :lol:
We don't even know if Daima and Super are even connected in any way (as the trailer is amibigious about it). Kibitoshin being unfused but Beerus and Whis not being present at all makes it feel like an AU story.
I don't see why folks are making such a big deal out of the timeline placement. Beerus and Whis always have a convenient way to be written out of any story, Beerus sleeps for months and years at a time, and Goku & Vegeta aren't always at their planet training. There's no reason Beerus and Whis have to be involved in every post-Boo arc story.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:07 pm

Black Freeza is still out there and DB Daima seems to be its own thing, so I doubt the DBS manga will end or even go hiatus.
Toriyama is busy with Daima and there were problems with Iyoku and Shueisha behind the scenes. It's obvious why Toyotaro was forced to drag Super Hero retelling for the entire year, but at this point he should already have an idea of what the next arc will be about.

Hopefully the next arc comes from him and not from Toriyama. Toyotaro and Toei can come up with more interesting stories. They just need someone to keep them in check. And that's exactly the problem with Toriyama nowadays. Nobody keeps him in check. He's surrounded by yes men who won't question him anything.

No one can convince me that a new story where everyone from the main cast become kids was exactly what they wanted. It's the good execution that will "save" DB Daima. Not the story premise which once again is questionable from Toriyama.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:23 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:07 pm Black Freeza is still out there and DB Daima seems to be its own thing, so I doubt the DBS manga will end or even go hiatus.
I'm not sure I understand what Freeza's new form has to do with the end of the Super brand. Dragon Ball has never been the type of story where every tiny detail is explained, nailed down or resolved - why do you think they'd start now?

Admittedly, this is a better plot thread to use as an example than "But they never went to planet sadala!!", but not by much.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:51 am

Freeza is never going to die again. I feel like Freeza has become the Jason or Michael Myers of Dragon Ball with him always coming back from death and being stronger than last time. If they kill off Freeza again, he will back for the 5th million time!
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:05 pm

The next time Freeza dies, he'll come back three years HRT and try to defeat Gokuu with her womanly charms.

It won't work.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:01 pm

So when the Superhero arc is over in the manga, does anyone think Daima may be the next arc? I'm just thinking it could potentially be unless it's a completely new thing.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:17 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:01 pm So when the Superhero arc is over in the manga, does anyone think Daima may be the next arc? I'm just thinking it could potentially be unless it's a completely new thing.
I'd say perhaps a buffer arc in the middle before Daima since we're still a year away. Like early Super I expect for Daima to debut in the manga with the anime eventually catching up.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:22 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:01 pm So when the Superhero arc is over in the manga, does anyone think Daima may be the next arc? I'm just thinking it could potentially be unless it's a completely new thing.
Dragon Ball Daima is a new serie, so they would have to release a new manga. But with the anime releasing in a year, they wouldn’t allow Toyotaro to start the story before it. Assuming they will ever make that a manga, which I doubt.

The next manga arc, if there will be one, will likely be a continuation of the Black Freeza storyline.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:56 pm

emperior wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:22 pm The next manga arc, if there will be one, will likely be a continuation of the Black Freeza storyline.
I think this is unlikely, mostly because there is no Black Freeza "storyline"... its just a new color for an old character. I guess I also expect the Super "brand" to end at issue 100 though, so... we'll see!