Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:31 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:52 pmI was referring to something more than bloodlines, genes, or family ties in the first place, something within the characters themselves (like interest or potential). Apparently Pan has been training since a really young age for the most part.
Potential everyone has. Interest appears randomly. Just because they weren't introducing as fighters like Pan was, it doesn't mean they shouldn't or can't become one eventually.
GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:52 pmAlso, I told you once before that Dragon Ball's problems (and there's many of those) are unique to the series itself, to the point where simply stepping into some other franchise is enough to avoid them almost completely. This just so happens to be one of them, especially when compared to something like your typical fighting game franchise (different medium but DB makes tons of games in it that tend to reflect established media except for when making original characters, where they've at least tried to fix the problem with some new entries).
So I've come to accept that if I'm looking for something I can't find in DB, it's probably best to look elsewhere.
Yeah, but there are subjects which this doesn't work. While I moved away from Pokémon because Ash is supposed to remain frozen in time, wanting other people to fight in a... uh, "fight series" (ugh!) isn't far-fetched or anything. Quite the contrary, actually, giving focus to these characters is precisely what Dragon Ball does. They're all young, the oldest ones are eighteen and seventeen, while the youngest ones are five and four (if they do it around "end of Z"). Power level is drastically reduced (for those who care). Light, fun adventure. It checkes all the boxes. So I don't know why anyone would be against, just because your precious little Goku isn't on screen?
GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:52 pmAnd besides, with Toriyama or whoever else at the helm, it wouldn't be long before those specific characters go the way of Videl or whatever.
Hopefully that only happens with Toriyama and once he's gone (retirement) that no longer happens. The franchise doesn't need more Videls, Gines and Chi-Chis (Dimps understood that. With luck, not long now before the ones behind the series understand this too).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:02 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:31 am Potential everyone has. Interest appears randomly. Just because they weren't introducing as fighters like Pan was, it doesn't mean they shouldn't or can't become one eventually.
Everyone has potential you are right, but how they achieve a certain powers matter.
Let say an example if Mr Satan and Chi Chi decides to become Z fighters right now, if they do pathetic training and they manage to surpass Tenshinhan, Kuririn and Yamcha, that would be bad writing.

Now if Mr Satan and Chi Chi does something special to catch up, that would make it good.
Grimlock wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:31 am Yeah, but there are subjects which this doesn't work. While I moved away from Pokémon because Ash is supposed to remain frozen in time, wanting other people to fight in a... uh, "fight series" (ugh!) isn't far-fetched or anything. Quite the contrary, actually, giving focus to these characters is precisely what Dragon Ball does. They're all young, the oldest ones are eighteen and seventeen, while the youngest ones are five and four (if they do it around "end of Z"). Power level is drastically reduced (for those who care). Light, fun adventure. It checkes all the boxes. So I don't know why anyone would be against, just because your precious Goku isn't on screen?
Ash losing the tournament and never aging for boring. Then making Ash into a amateur in Pokémon Black & White went too far. As for Pokémon Sun/Moon didn't like the art style.

Normally I prefer when anime use other characters and not just focus only on the main character, which in this case is Goku. The more characters that are involved the better.

Every character has a fan base.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:34 am

Psajdak wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:19 pm There will be.

Like Devil Goku, or something.
Interesting. But what if that will be, again, Vegeta?

This seems to be taking something from GT. And with the scenes of Majin Vegeta at the beginning, it may be the case that he falls prey of some other magic.

I can’t see Goku ever having a “Evil” form, most likely the opposite - something godly and Kaioshin-like but in the “Magic” sense and not Ultra Instinct.

And something similar to Super Saiyan 4 might be it. It is more or less a nod to JTTW so it would come full circle, as Daima clearly goes back to those roots (with Kid Goku, nyoi-bo, adventure, Demons and Gods etcetera).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:12 am

super michael wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:02 am Everyone has potential you are right, but how they achieve a certain powers matter.
Let say an example if Mr Satan and Chi Chi decides to become Z fighters right now, if they do pathetic training and they manage to surpass Tenshinhan, Kuririn and Yamcha, that would be bad writing.
And in general, if they have to contrive something, anything, for any of these people, then it's really not worth it. Contrivances will never not be a problem for me in this series.

As in, some of this stuff would be as likely as wanting the main cast to blow the lid on Mr. Satan's false persona, having the aforementioned actually train and gain some kind of power, or a lot of other what-if ideas in the series. I guess that's fine in general if people want to discuss the numerous possibilities that the series has, but personally, once I realized what kind of series this is beyond anything else, I just stopped entirely (and I used to have a lot of these ideas a long time ago).

For this one in particular I can't really see any way that it would logically be made to work long term, short of contriving something out of nowhere & out of character. Even if it's just for a world martial arts tournament rather than dealing with some new threat. The martial artist characters getting sidelined for one reason or another is a problem, but it's hardly a concern if non-combatants with no interest or reason don't ever choose to step into the role.
(Never mind these people not being able to do "next generation" plot lines for whatever reason.)

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:43 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:11 am No one said you should, but that doesnt they should capitulate to what you want either.
There's also nothing that says they have to do it the way you say they should.

Toei could probably benefit from experimenting with different release styles.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:45 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:50 am That's not an anime. I said anime. And I am still wary of just dumping an entire anime and just hope for the best without building up hype.

OOPS: Read your post more carefully and I apologize you already had the right idea, sorry.
Anime would be no different than any other show that gets a season dumped all at once and has success and I don't know why you think it would be.

I prefer the one episode a week model myself, but it wouldn't make a show more successful.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:45 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:50 am That's not an anime. I said anime. And I am still wary of just dumping an entire anime and just hope for the best without building up hype.

OOPS: Read your post more carefully and I apologize you already had the right idea, sorry.
Anime would be no different than any other show that gets a season dumped all at once and has success and I don't know why you think it would be.

I prefer the one episode a week model myself, but it wouldn't make a show more successful.

I want you to take a good look at this statement. The success of this show IS NOT GUARANTEED. OF COURSE a successful show "wouldnt need it" but you ignore that not every show is successful. And you forgot to mention the hundreds of shows that were uploaded like that and just fizzled out because the hype was very shortlived.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:02 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:16 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:45 am

I want you to take a good look at this statement. The success of this show IS NOT GUARANTEED. OF COURSE a successful show "wouldnt need it" but you ignore that not every show is successful. And you forgot to mention the hundreds of shows that were uploaded like that and just fizzled out because the hype was very shortlived.
I am aware of what I said, and my point still stands.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:06 pm

Ok, then I will just agree to disagree then. I dont think either of us has any way of actually deciding what will happen so I will just hope its weekly and leave it at that. I might change my mind later on if given compelling reasons to do so though.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:16 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:11 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:01 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:02 am

I really dont like this idea. Anime builds hype via traditional weekly pacing, even if streamed. This sort of idea doesnt really work for anime.
Toei isn't paying for my breast augmentation surgery, so I ain't shilling their cartoon.
No one said you should, but that doesnt they should capitulate to what you want either. I really like you and I want to emphasize that while I disagree you are awesome.
I specifically stated in my initial post that I doubt that my wish would be followed.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:38 pm

Oops if that is so then i apologize. Sorry girlie, you are awesome.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:44 pm

Toriyama couldn't even keep Dr Slump in it's own continuity and now people thing that Daima is going too be in it's own continuity? Toriyama only retcons things he did not write, he still uses "Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!" in his own canon and he only wrote the story concept for that OVA. Daima is probably gonna take place after Superhero so the Super manga arcs are save from the canon debate, it's gonna be a little adventure too celebrate DB 40th anniversary and after that MAYBE we get Moro and Granola if Toriyama wanna use them in his canon in the future. Too me it feels like Toyotarou wrote those arc and daddy Toriyama was just helping him and not consider them canon in his heads but who knows lol.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:18 pm

1. Toei has pretty much mention that they specifically keep canon vague so that anyone can get into the anime/manga/movie without much confusion.

2. Like I’ve said before, if based on that trailer Daima most likely takes place after the Buu saga, but before the events of Super. The trailer very specifically shows us characters from the Buu arc but makes a point to leave out any character from the Super series.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:23 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:18 pm 1. Toei has pretty much mention that they specifically keep canon vague so that anyone can get into the anime/manga/movie without much confusion.

2. Like I’ve said before, if based on that trailer Daima most likely takes place after the Buu saga, but before the events of Super. The trailer very specifically shows us characters from the Buu arc but makes a point to leave out any character from the Super series.
Goku appears to be wearing his gi from Super and Shin and Kibito are separated, I'm a go out on a limb and guess it takes place after Super Hero.

Although watch it be so self contained and inconsequential that it's timeline placement probably won't matter

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:13 pm

Ironically, while I agree its REALLY silly to take "What is canon" SO FUCKING SERIOUSLY I agree with the person that said Toriyama does keep a few things consistent and that while more silly and wacky than most people want it to be Toriyama has a few things he keeps consistent. But that it wont necessarily line up with what people want out of DB.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:17 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:23 pm Goku appears to be wearing his gi from Super and Shin and Kibito are separated, I'm a go out on a limb and guess it takes place after Super Hero.
No, he's wearing a new gi that we never saw him using in the main chronology before, it looks like the gi the Super timeline Goku used from the Prison Planet Saga to the New Space Time Saga in Heroes, but without the symbols, ropes and the Whis gi boots.

And Kibito and Kaioshin separated could be because of the spell and they are going to return to Kibitoshin in the end, but who knows.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:42 pm

Zephyr wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:34 amThe movies after the TV anime ended, though, do open things up again in a way that leaves one wanting for more of a conclusion. Not only are Goku and Vegeta still hanging around Beerus and Whis, but now they're having Broli train there too. It seems like he's being set up to at least learn to control his own full power. And if Goku is being written to not realize that meditation counts as training, then I guess he's being set up to learn too, maybe? I dunno.
Yeah it does seem Toriyama felt there was more story to cover. The ToP still works as a conclusion to the multiverse first revealed in BoG since it shows the strongest characters of the other universes then the following movies and manga arcs were all set in U7. If we're only considering the movies, RoF foreshadowed UI but it still hasn't appeared in any movie and I don't think was mentioned in Broly when they referenced the ToP. The way it was achieved differed in the manga and anime so it might be that Toriyama didn't decide at the time or had something else in mind for when Goku achieved it after RoF. I'm not sure but it just seems unlikely SH would be his last in the Super continuity since Goku and Vegeta only had a minor appearance showing them still having more to learn from Whis.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:06 pm Ok, then I will just agree to disagree then. I dont think either of us has any way of actually deciding what will happen so I will just hope its weekly and leave it at that. I might change my mind later on if given compelling reasons to do so though.
Some streaming shows like on Disney+ and Amazon have gone back to a weekly release. Netflix has also broken up some seasons into volumes but still releases some shows by season. It might be that they assume it attracts more of an audience because fans discuss and come up theories every week so longer than they would if it had been released at once. I personally prefer bingewatching but a weekly release offers both options since I just wait until the season or entire series is over to watch.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:53 am

super michael wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:02 amEveryone has potential you are right, but how they achieve a certain powers matter.

Now if Mr Satan and Chi Chi does something special to catch up, that would make it good.
We deal with "bad writing" (or no writing at all) all the time. We can even live with the most egregious ones (Freeza, Android 17, etc). Freeza says in Dragon Ball Super Broly that training with someone weaker than you is no good, so who has he been training with? What has he been doing that allows him to catch up even to people who trained under Whis?

Though I don't know why you are bringing this up, even if they all train under Whis, they will be at their peak but there will be a difference among them. I would assume the weakest of the bunch would be Marron, just give her Kaio-Ken and the Ultimate transformation.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:12 pm

I still can’t wrap my head around why people are arguing that this must take place before Super. What would be the point of that? I can’t think of any purpose that going backwards in the timeline would serve. Why bother?

If you want to argue that they’d do that for the sake of “power scaling,” the simple fact is that Toriyama and Toei never cared about that stuff nearly as much as fans do. In fact, I’m pretty sure the Japanese side of the fandom as a whole doesn’t really care about those debates.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:49 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:12 pm I still can’t wrap my head around why people are arguing that this must take place before Super. What would be the point of that? I can’t think of any purpose that going backwards in the timeline would serve. Why bother?
Seconding this. This seems to be treated as a foregone conclusion because... Beerus and Whis aren't present? Even though Goku's gi is closer to his Super gi in style than his Z/BoG gi? Shin and Kibito are separated and it appears to be a de-aging spell and not time reversing so if it was before Super than it would just be a Kid KibitoKaioshin

The revival era has been linear as far as everything happening between after Boo but before the epilogue. So why would this be different and jump backwards?