Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:08 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:16 am i feel the only ones excited for this new series is just the oldhead fans & the only reason is because they can spite the "DEEBEEZEE" fans that they aren't getting what they wanted. Which i find funny cause i guarantee after some time has passed those same old fans acting like they love this will be making long winded tweets and video dissertations calling this crap also same thing happened with super shitro.
Because more flashy fight fests that rely on cheap fanservice and push the story off to side is what will save the franchise :roll: .

Also, I'm one of those "oldhead" fans and I still like Super Hero a lot thank you very much (nice to see you still hate it as much as you did before and after it came out).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:29 pm

Speaking as a fan of 25 years, my favorite parts of Super Hero were all of the scenes with Piccolo, Pan, and the Gammas. I was invested in those characters, the film was their story, and the fact that the story suddenly becomes a tired repeat of the same boring, aimless Gohan arc, the film instantly fall apart.

It's my hope that Daima won't suffer the same fate.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:35 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:08 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:16 am i feel the only ones excited for this new series is just the oldhead fans & the only reason is because they can spite the "DEEBEEZEE" fans that they aren't getting what they wanted. Which i find funny cause i guarantee after some time has passed those same old fans acting like they love this will be making long winded tweets and video dissertations calling this crap also same thing happened with super shitro.
Because more flashy fight fests that rely on cheap fanservice and push the story off to side is what will save the franchise :roll: .

Also, I'm one of those "oldhead" fans and I still like Super Hero a lot thank you very much (nice to see you still hate it as much as you did before and after it came out).
i mean is it crazy for wanting a series known mostly for its infamous high octane bombastic fights to continue in that vein? Sure DB had adventure elements within it but when you get to the point where everyone can fly, teleport to different planets and dimensions, & cheat death i kinda understand why they stick to mostly the flashy fights (the one saving grace this franchise still has left sometimes).

Also most of the narratives in Dragonball are thinner than a paper to begin with are we really missing much if its pushed off to the side?

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:47 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:29 pm Speaking as a fan of 25 years, my favorite parts of Super Hero were all of the scenes with Piccolo, Pan, and the Gammas. I was invested in those characters, the film was their story, and the fact that the story suddenly becomes a tired repeat of the same boring, aimless Gohan arc, the film instantly fall apart.

:D Let's be honest with ourselves it will be Babbidi Nephew or brother will suddenly appear out of no where with that one female supreme kai who supposedly got killed way back by pure buu but is somehow alive and make a wish on the new set of dragonballs exclusive to this series that nobody knew anything about .

funny enough when the info about the last movie came out i was somewhat accurate when i said it'd be geros nephew :D with new androids etc

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:58 pm

Y'all continue to wholesale fabricate scenarios to be mad about for a thing you've been given a tiny glimpse at.

Let's not do that, OK? Cool!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:58 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:35 pm i mean is it crazy for wanting a series known mostly for its infamous high octane bombastic fights to continue in that vein?
The series has had good storytelling in the past (Both in the Pre-Z and Z eras) in spite of its reputation and the simple nature of its storytelling. Acting like story is superfluous to Dragon Ball, as if it's not needed for the series to be good is a very disingenuous argument.
Also most of the narratives in Dragonball are thinner than a paper to begin with are we really missing much if its pushed off to the side?
Yes. See my above point.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:58 pm Y'all continue to wholesale fabricate scenarios to be mad about for a thing you've been given a tiny glimpse at.

Let's not do that, OK? Cool!
I'm just assuming that the patterns we've seen over and over since Resurrection F will continue to repeat themselves. Is it reasonable to assume those patterns will be broken just because the subtitle changed? If Toriyama is really as heavily involved as he says, I expect it will be entertaining with Toriyama's charm, but the story will probably be nothing special, and it will probably recycle old ideas for the sake of nostalgia. Those, I think, are just the reasonable expectations to have.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:47 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:38 pm I'm just assuming that the patterns we've seen over and over since Resurrection F will continue to repeat themselves. Is it reasonable to assume those patterns will be broken just because the subtitle changed? If Toriyama is really as heavily involved as he says, I expect it will be entertaining with Toriyama's charm, but the story will probably be nothing special, and it will probably recycle old ideas for the sake of nostalgia. Those, I think, are just the reasonable expectations to have.
This is a much more nuanced, thoughtful, reasonable, and balanced post than the one you made before. Please strive for this!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:29 pm Speaking as a fan of 25 years, my favorite parts of Super Hero were all of the scenes with Piccolo, Pan, and the Gammas. I was invested in those characters, the film was their story, and the fact that the story suddenly becomes a tired repeat of the same boring, aimless Gohan arc, the film instantly fall apart.

Honestly, that legitimately hurts my enjoyment of Super Hero a fair bit. Frankly, I'm someone who would have LOVED to see its original vision of Piccolo going solo be realized. I mean, Piccolo going up against the R.R.A. with little-to-no Saiyan assistance? Yes, please!

The thing with Gohan is that I feel like Toriyama's written himself into a corner with him (and it's even the reason I don't see Gohan being a big focus for Daima). The guy's so strong, that if he were to train on the level of his dad and Vegeta, he truly might be SO unstoppable that you probably won't have much of a story/fight anymore once he throws his hat into the ring, given how he appears to have at least learned to NOT screw around the moment he gets a power-up that gets him ahead of the enemy.

He'd basically be Superman, without the weakness to Kryptonite.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:58 pm

I liked Super Hero as is personally. My problem will be post Super Hero if Gihan does his stop training again arc. I don't fault media for repeating a stroy if I like it but I will fault post media for it if that makes sense.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:03 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:40 pm

Honestly, that legitimately hurts my enjoyment of Super Hero a fair bit. Frankly, I'm someone who would have LOVED to see its original vision of Piccolo going solo be realized. I mean, Piccolo going up against the R.R.A. with little-to-no Saiyan assistance? Yes, please!
Totally agree with all of this. Super Hero is great, charming, funny... until it turns into teenage fanservice with bizarrely ugly character designs. I still had a great time but I was ready for it end about 15 minutes before it did.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:59 pm

The thing with Gohan is that I feel like Toriyama's written himself into a corner with him (and it's even the reason I don't see Gohan being a big focus for Daima). The guy's so strong, that if he were to train on the level of his dad and Vegeta, he truly might be SO unstoppable that you probably won't have much of a story/fight anymore once he throws his hat into the ring, given how he appears to have at least learned to NOT screw around the moment he gets a power-up that gets him ahead of the enemy.

The thing is, with Gohan one just needs to...write a story, ignore the "he's to strong" aspect by just making his foe stronger, and then building up that characte arc that eventually makes the pay-off worth it. Instead of doing that, Toriyama et al just decide that they can only write the one single story idea. It's maddening. Just...write a new story idea, oh my fucking god. Heck, work with details of his past storylines if you need to, just do something different as the core centerpiece of his character arc for a new storyline.

Like, it's not even a case of "Superman's too strong", because even then, writers still write good stories for Superman. Heck, you can say thay any of DC's heroes are 'too strong'. There's over ten Speedster heroes now, three Supermen, a Superboy, a Supergirl, two Steels, the Super-Twins, and Power Girl. The storylines being written with all those characters right now are all really exiciting stuff.

The thing that really kills me how Super Hero is that the jarring inclusion of Gohan is just...jarring. It makes no sense at all.
She/Her
bisexual milf

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:31 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:59 pm

The thing is, with Gohan one just needs to...write a story, ignore the "he's to strong" aspect by just making his foe stronger, and then building up that characte arc that eventually makes the pay-off worth it. Instead of doing that, Toriyama et al just decide that they can only write the one single story idea. It's maddening. Just...write a new story idea, oh my fucking god. Heck, work with details of his past storylines if you need to, just do something different as the core centerpiece of his character arc for a new storyline.

Like, it's not even a case of "Superman's too strong", because even then, writers still write good stories for Superman. Heck, you can say thay any of DC's heroes are 'too strong'. There's over ten Speedster heroes now, three Supermen, a Superboy, a Supergirl, two Steels, the Super-Twins, and Power Girl. The storylines being written with all those characters right now are all really exiciting stuff.

The thing that really kills me how Super Hero is that the jarring inclusion of Gohan is just...jarring. It makes no sense at all.
Honestly, I WISH that would happen. Frankly, I think that modern DB has made something of a slip-up in terms of putting Gohan (of all hybrids) on such a high pedestal. It's like all sorts of material makes it sound as though once he gets his head in the game, it's simply a matter "how exactly will Gohan wrap things up?"

For that matter, I pray Black Frieza (if Gohan does get involved in that situation) utterly WRECKS Beast Gohan. Once we get to that point of Super, I just really don't want there to be a situation where Gohan simply needs to activate Beast and we're done. Like, with all the build-up to Frieza, that guy better DESTROY the entire Dragon Team, to prove all that decade-long training was certainly NOT a waste of time.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:47 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:31 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:59 pm

Honestly, I WISH that would happen. Frankly, I think that modern DB has made something of a slip-up in terms of putting Gohan (of all hybrids) on such a high pedestal. It's like all sorts of material makes it sound as though once he gets his head in the game, it's simply a matter "how exactly will Gohan wrap things up?"

For that matter, I pray Black Frieza (if Gohan does get involved in that situation) utterly WRECKS Beast Gohan. Once we get to that point of Super, I just really don't want there to be a situation where Gohan simply needs to activate Beast and we're done. Like, with all the build-up to Frieza, that guy better DESTROY the entire Dragon Team, to prove all that decade-long training was certainly NOT a waste of time.
For sure, yeah. Heck, do a story arc where Gohan and Freeza get stranded somewhere and have to work together, despite a clash of personalities, and then ultimately end the arc with them at each other's throats because Gohan can't inspire a strong enough change in Freeza. Give me a good ol' fashioned bottle episode that focuses less on some grand overarching story, and more on two utterly opposed characters forced to work together. You could play that for so much.
She/Her
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:59 am

dragonballhero wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:31 pm For that matter, I pray Black Frieza (if Gohan does get involved in that situation) utterly WRECKS Beast Gohan. Once we get to that point of Super, I just really don't want there to be a situation where Gohan simply needs to activate Beast and we're done. Like, with all the build-up to Frieza, that guy better DESTROY the entire Dragon Team, to prove all that decade-long training was certainly NOT a waste of time.
But I heard from some people in this very thread that Dragon Ball is unique and special series because it constantly throws curveballs and subverts expectations. That is the classic Toriyama genius!

So shouldn't Black Frieza return for a new arc only to get stomped in the first 2 episodes by the real main villain (whoever that is)? :lol:

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:21 am

Ultra Instinct Goku will beat Black Frieza and everyone knows it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:53 am

So, with this series apparently being really connected to the Majin Buu saga, it's a good opportunity to feature Mira and Towa, mainly the latter, as she is Dabura's sister. While we do not know if that information came from Dimps or if it was supposed to be revealed in Dragon Ball Online, be that as it may, them being siblings made up for an interesting lore due to their relationship being unique (it's not your usual "you're part of my family but I couldn't give two cents about you" that we unfortunately see in Dragon Ball). It would be great if they kept that aspect about them.

I'll be happy with just the Makaio and Makaioshin appearances, though. :)
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:17 am

How you guys would react if DBD is set after Buu and before BOG?
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:17 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:21 am Ultra Instinct Goku will beat Black Frieza and everyone knows it.
I mean...well that certainly wasn't true.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:20 am

As another (final? hopefully?) reminder, this is a thread for the forthcoming Dragon Ball Daima series, not a general Dragon Ball Super manga discussion thread. Thank you!