How much Arabian folklore is featured in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

How much Arabian folklore is featured in Dragon Ball?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:20 pm

As we know, DB as a series by Toriyama (and Toei) has numerous different media that it references, parodies, and is influenced by, from old Chinese tales like Journey to the West, martial arts films, and Wuxia works to tokusatsu series and films such as Gamera, Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, etc. Even Spaghetti Westerns, old Samurai/Jidaigeki films, and 80's Hollywood titles have some notable shout outs.

With all this said though, it also seems as though Arabian stories have also been referenced in some small ways throughout.
Some examples I can think of include the village with the rabbit villain whose name I presently forget where the people had an Arabic motif for their clothing (and Bulma wore one of their outfits), Mr. Popo who not only has Arabic clothing, but also a magic carpet, the regular outfits that Namekians wear as well as Porunga both resembling and operating like a Genie (3 wishes), and I'm not too sure if this even counts, but the appearance of the fusions like Gotenks & Gogeta.

I'm not sure of any references beyond those, but is there ever any mention of these and more in an official capacity from Toriyama or anyone at Toei?

EDIT: Just after I post this, I realize that I completely forgot about Majin Boo and that there has indeed been a mention somewhere.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: How much Arabian folklore is featured in Dragon Ball?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:20 pm

There’s a strong association between the magical elements and Arabian mythological motifs in the Majin Buu arc. Buu himself is basically a Djinn, something some manga translations make even more explicit — he’s a mischievous magical being who emerges from his sealed tomb in a vaporous form before wreaking all sorts of havoc. While it seems to be a coincidence in-universe, there was definitely a theme behind giving Gotenks, the result of a magical fusion technique, a very similar outfit to Buu himself.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:08 pm

I was afraid to make a thread and this gives me a chance to say this. Its not folklore but I think Piccolo Daimao lived in the equivalent of the Middle East. He grew up seeing first hand the cruelty and evil of war and that when the Nameless Namekian separated this evil became Piccolo Daimao.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:31 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:08 pm I was afraid to make a thread and this gives me a chance to say this. Its not folklore but I think Piccolo Daimao lived in the equivalent of the Middle East. He grew up seeing first hand the cruelty and evil of war and that when the Nameless Namekian separated this evil became Piccolo Daimao.
I probably used the wrong term, maybe "culture" works better, geography and other aspects are welcome additions too.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:36 pm

No, you misuderstood, I was not criticizing you or saying you were wrong. I meant "I know what I am about to say doesnt have anything to do with folklore but I want to mention this".

You are cool, and Arabian folklore DEFINITELY influenced Dragon Ball. But I wanted to mention Piccolo Daimao's origin. Most of the victims of his cruelty in the past wear Middle Eastern looking clothes and Hijabs, AT LEAST in the anime.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:36 pmYou are cool, and Arabian folklore DEFINITELY influenced Dragon Ball. But I wanted to mention Piccolo Daimao's origin. Most of the victims of his cruelty in the past wear Middle Eastern looking clothes and Hijabs, AT LEAST in the anime.
Thanks, I appreciate it :thumbup:
(Although I do have to say I haven't yet seen everything...)
I wonder if all that was also window dressing of some kind though.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:52 am

Baba's palace has a very 1001 Nights look with it's architecture and being in the middle of the desert.